FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Hey, You in the Bored Room with the Fake Service Dog (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1316360-hey-you-bored-room-fake-service-dog.html)

Eastbay1K Feb 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Hey, You in the Bored Room with the Fake Service Dog

It is bad enough that you have one of those phony vests on the little rat terrier, but grooming the dog with a brush on the people furniture is way too much. Is this insanity ever going to end? Or just get worse?

jvick125 Feb 20, 2012 9:31 pm

In SFO? It's truly amazing how low some people will go.

Eastbay1K Feb 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jvick125 (Post 18053253)
In SFO? It's truly amazing how low some people will go.

Nope, SEA.

slopeboy40 Feb 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 18053204)
Is this insanity ever going to end? Or just get worse?

The AS Bored Rooms have become a circus lately, especially at SEA. I am seriously considering bailing on the AS bored room and buying a Delta membership. Why not?

DCBob Feb 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by slopeboy40 (Post 18053375)
I am seriously considering bailing on the AS bored room and buying a Delta membership. Why not?

Forget about BUYING a Delta Skyclub membership. Just get an Amex Platinum card and you will be able to access AA, DL, and US clubs for *free. Plus you get a $200 credit on your Amex statement for extra charges (baggage, onboard meals, ticket rebooking fees, etc.) you make on a single airline of your choice. Much better deal than buying a membership in just one club.

So, that's why not!

*You also need a same day ticket on AA or DL (but not US) to enter.

golfingboy Feb 20, 2012 10:13 pm

As a deaf person, this is something I see/hear all the time... I have a friend who has a 125 pounder yellow lab mixed breed. He told me that the dog travels with him, and I said so you paid $100 each time, and he retorted, no it is free. After questioning him, he said he would just walk up and claim the dog is a service dog just because he is deaf and the airline cannot do $hit.

I always tell people that if they really believe in doing the right thing, they would not pull this kind of BS, but being the cheapskates that deaf people are, they always pull this crap.

It is no wonder managers purposefully do NOT hire deaf people and would go measures to violate the ADA [as in not hiring us SOLELY based on us being deaf and requiring additional resources like interpreters and videophones, which translates into our favorite word, "costs"] and simply not hire us even though we are more than qualified for the job.

This situation, whether the customer is deaf or not, is a perfect example of a pure intention to abuse the ADA. I honestly wish that ALL service animal MUST be certified and that those owners MUST present some kind of documentation to prove that the animal is trained [from an authorized animal trainer] along with a doctor's note stating that the certain individual needs such service. With those kind of requirements, I am pretty confident the volume of abuse will shrink dramatically.

AKLifetimeFlyer Feb 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Hmmm, doesn't sound like the "bored" room is very boring today! Just sounds like a typical day in the Boardroom!

98103 Feb 21, 2012 8:18 am

That is aggregious, but at this moment (in SEA BR) I want to scream "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR PHONE CONVERSATION! I DON'T CARE HOW F***ING IMPORTANT YOU ARE! AND JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BLUE TOOTH DEVICE DOES NOT MEAN WE CAN'T HEAR YOU PLANNING FOR HAVING DINNER TONIGHT UP IN ROCKVILLE. OH, WE ALL F-ING KNOW YOU ARE IN THE BOARD ROOM!"

If I could go postal just once, something tells me that F uprgrades might be easier....

dave1013 Feb 21, 2012 8:40 am

Were you in SEABR mid-to-late yesterday afternoon, first floor, because the situation you describe pretty much unfolded at that time! There were about four people in the party, an elderly woman in a wheelchair who had a portable oxygen machine, and presumably her what-appeared-to-be Yorkshire Terrier.

Wished I woulda known you were there, it would have been nice to meet a fellow FT'er and commiserate over the situation!

Eastbay1K Feb 21, 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 18055251)
Were you in SEABR mid-to-late yesterday afternoon, first floor, because the situation you describe pretty much unfolded at that time! There were about four people in the party, an elderly woman in a wheelchair who had a portable oxygen machine, and presumably her what-appeared-to-be Yorkshire Terrier.

Wished I woulda known you were there, it would have been nice to meet a fellow FT'er and commiserate over the situation!

Yup. I was there about 330 to 430. You weren't the guy who tried to put at least 1/2 lb. of cheese on his plate (that was stacked quite high in a pyramid) with chunks falling off on to the floor, were you? :p

When we left the BR, one of the party was giving the dog a walk around a nearly-vacant D1.

dave1013 Feb 21, 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 18055579)
Yup. I was there about 330 to 430. You weren't the guy who tried to put at least 1/2 lb. of cheese on his plate (that was stacked quite high in a pyramid) with chunks falling off on to the floor, were you? :p

When we left the BR, one of the party was giving the dog a walk around a nearly-vacant D1.

No, that wasn't me. :p Wife and I were in the corner just past the "circus", by the pay-for-use computers.

Portland1k Feb 21, 2012 10:05 am

I would suggest that all of you first try and understand that all ailments and disabilities that would require a service animal are not always visible. The ADA was set up for this and many other reasons. You have no way of knowing not only the disability but the manner in which the dog was trained to assist the individual, nor is it proper for you to inquire anything more than what it was trained for. Assuming anything in this instance is jumping to a conclusion that most likely is wrong. Should something ever happen to you where you need a service animal of any size, shape or breed, you would not be so quick to judgement.

Just to let you know, my wife travels with a small service dog who has done wonders for her health and well being and has given her a new lease on life. Her disability is not evident, is chronic so it won't go away. You'd be surprised at the questions she receives. She is gracious, always responding kindly. I would not wish what she has on any others so I support and assist her wherever possible and explain to others the benefits her service dog provides to her. You might consider the same.

Eastbay1K Feb 21, 2012 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Portland1k (Post 18055806)
I would suggest that all of you first try and understand that all ailments and disabilities that would require a service animal are not always visible. The ADA was set up for this and many other reasons. You have no way of knowing not only the disability but the manner in which the dog was trained to assist the individual, nor is it proper for you to inquire anything more than what it was trained for. Assuming anything in this instance is jumping to a conclusion that most likely is wrong. Should something ever happen to you where you need a service animal of any size, shape or breed, you would not be so quick to judgement.

Just to let you know, my wife travels with a small service dog who has done wonders for her health and well being and has given her a new lease on life. Her disability is not evident, is chronic so it won't go away. You'd be surprised at the questions she receives. She is gracious, always responding kindly. I would not wish what she has on any others so I support and assist her wherever possible and explain to others the benefits her service dog provides to her. You might consider the same.

My issue here was grooming the dog on the furniture. That was my issue here. My last BR issue with a dog was when the chanchos sucios were giving their dog water from the people glasses.

Xero Feb 21, 2012 1:55 pm

I personally find most dogs quieter and cleaner than most children. So I'm perfectly okay with somebody putting their dog on a chair.

ANC RED-EYE Feb 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 18055848)
My issue here was grooming the dog on the furniture. That was my issue here. My last BR issue with a dog was when the chanchos sucios were giving their dog water from the people glasses.

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 18057377)
I personally find most dogs quieter and cleaner than most children. So I'm perfectly okay with somebody putting their dog on a chair.

Service dog or not, there is no situation in which it is appropriate for the animal to be on the furniture in the boardroom.