Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Apply from October 1 2017 for status match thru end of 2018.

JANUARY 2017 AS MATCH UPDATE

AS matches to MVPG75K, MVPG and MVP tiers

Alaskaair.com explanation and terms

Auto-response from [email protected]:

Thank you for your interest in our award winning Mileage Plan. If your request did not include a copy of both sides of your current elite card OR a screenshot of your digital elite membership card and a screen shot of your online account showing your name, current status and YTD miles flown please re-submit. Allow 2-4 weeks for processing once we have received your documents. When your Tier Match is complete, you'll receive a welcome email and can check your status at alaskaair.com/myaccount. Please note that Tier Matches can only be extended once during the life of your account and the status is valid through 12/31/2017. We look forward to welcoming you into our program and flying with you for many years to come! Also note, we only offer a Tier Match for: AeroMexico, Air Canada, American, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, Jet Blue, Southwest, United, and Virgin America
Attachments:
- Physical Elite Card (both sides) OR Screenshot of Digital Card
- Screenshot of online account with Name / Status / YTD miles flown
ID no longer required. Actual flying of a certain threshold is OFFICIALLY required for determining level of match. Only one match per lifetime of account.

Match to MVP status from:
Aeromexico Gold
Air Canada Altitude 25K (Prestige) and 35K
American Airlines AAdvantage Gold
Delta Silver Medallion
Frontier Elite
Hawaiian Pualani Gold
JetBlue TrueBlue Mosaic
Southwest A List
United Premier Silver and Premier Associate
Match to MVP Gold status from:
Aeromexico Platinum
Air Canada Altitude 50K
American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum
Delta Gold Medallion
Hawaiian Pualani Platinum
Southwest A-List Preferred
United Premier Gold
Match to Gold 75K status from:
Aeromexico Titanio
Air Canada Altitude 75K and 100K
American Airlines Platinum Pro, AAdvantage Executive Platinum, and ConciergeKey
Delta Platinum Medallion and Diamond Medallion
Southwest Companion Pass and A List Preferred (must hold both)
United Platinum, 1K, and Global Services

Ineligible Airline Reply
"Thank you for your interest in our Tier Match program. While we do appreciate
your anticipated business unfortunately, we do not offer Tier Matches to
members who have elite status with [INSERT INELIGIBLE AIRLINE]."
Ineligible MP Address Reply
your anticipated business, unfortunately we do not offer Tier Matches to
members who live outside of the Alaska Airlines route structure and therefore
we must decline your request for a Tier Match."
Print Wikipost

AS Status Match - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I've read your Wiki and seen that Cathay Pacific is not listed in the list of airlines that Alaska Airlines status matches from. Does anyone have any success here getting a status match from CX? And would I be a fool for trying? Should I just start at 0 and hit it later this year without the status match? I'd love to hit the ground running immediately but get it if it's a no-go.
No experience, but it's not just the wiki. Alaska's web site lists the airlines they match; they're all North American.

In my experience, Alaska is one of the most pleasant airlines in the US to fly without status anyway, so not a big issue to fly them without status (as you've been doing).
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ashill
No experience, but it's not just the wiki. Alaska's web site lists the airlines they match; they're all North American.

In my experience, Alaska is one of the most pleasant airlines in the US to fly without status anyway, so not a big issue to fly them without status (as you've been doing).
got it, appreciated. do you or anyone else know if they're pretty strict about those carriers they list or they also have a history of selectively matching outside the carriers they post?

and i agree they're definitely a pleasant US carrier to fly w/o status.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
got it, appreciated. do you or anyone else know if they're pretty strict about those carriers they list or they also have a history of selectively matching outside the carriers they post?

never hurts to ask, report back to us
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

Doesn't hurt to ask but theres been quite a number of reports claiming that AS will only match with the airlines listed in the wiki. And those airlines are ones that operate on at least one of the exact same routes that AS operates. You also need to have a Mileage Plan address located in the AS flight network. Therefore, any address in Europe or Asia for example would exclude you from benefitting from this match. You could be an AA elite but reside in Africa and that would mean your request would most likely get denied.

Ineligible Airline Reply
your anticipated business unfortunately, we do not offer Tier Matches to
members who have elite status with [INSERT INELIGIBLE AIRLINE]."
Ineligible MP Address Reply
your anticipated business, unfortunately we do not offer Tier Matches to
members who live outside of the Alaska Airlines route structure and therefore
we must decline your request for a Tier Match."
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

AS needs to add this to its responses:

Limited Tier Match Reply
Thank you for your interest in our Tier Match program. While we do appreciate your anticipated business, unfortunately we do not offer Tier Matches to MVP Gold 75K. We have upgraded your account to MVP Gold elite status.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
"Does AS still require a copy of ID to match status? In the auto reply, it only mentioned "a copy of both sides of your current elite card and a screen shot of your online account showing your name, current status and YTD miles flown", but not a copy of driver license or passport."

Not for me, I told them I had not kept my EXP or A-List cards, did send them copies of account statements going back 6 months though.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
AS needs to add this to its responses:

Limited Tier Match Reply
Why? Do you really think people who fly 100,000 miles on, say, United, will want to be just an MVPG on AS? I really want to know your reasoning for saying it should be a no go for AS to match anyone to 75K. I matched from UA 1K to MVPG75K this year. I am planning on making a complete switch to AS. if they had not given me 75K I very much doubt I would have made the switch. This would have been AS's loss of a customer. So, please,tell me why it is so bad for AS to match people who fly 75K or more on another airline to 75K on AS?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Baze
Why? Do you really think people who fly 100,000 miles on, say, United, will want to be just an MVPG on AS? I really want to know your reasoning for saying it should be a no go for AS to match anyone to 75K. I matched from UA 1K to MVPG75K this year. I am planning on making a complete switch to AS. if they had not given me 75K I very much doubt I would have made the switch. This would have been AS's loss of a customer. So, please,tell me why it is so bad for AS to match people who fly 75K or more on another airline to 75K on AS?
Because it's giving away top tier status to anyone who walks in. Does any other airline give out status at the very top on a match? No challenge requirements either.

My personal view is either the match flies enough to retain the status (such as yourself) or they drop, in which case it doesn't matter in the long term. I understand why an airline like AS would offer more generous matches, but I also see why it offends those who earned/maintained their status by flying to have to compete for elite benefits with others who haven't.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Because it's giving away top tier status to anyone who walks in. Does any other airline give out status at the very top on a match? No challenge requirements either.

My personal view is either the match flies enough to retain the status (such as yourself) or they drop, in which case it doesn't matter in the long term. I understand why an airline like AS would offer more generous matches, but I also see why it offends those who earned/maintained their status by flying to have to compete for elite benefits with others who haven't.
Maybe I missed it in the thread but where has it shown they match to anybody off the street? I have not seen anything about the Elevate matches as to who got what, but for all else I see that they need to prove they fly that much on a competitor before AS will match it. Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:37 pm

I applied on Dec 22 for a status match.

It's been more than two weeks (but only 8 business days with all the holidays.)

Is it common for AS to actually take 2-4 weeks to reply / match?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I applied on Dec 22 for a status match.

It's been more than two weeks (but only 8 business days with all the holidays.)

Is it common for AS to actually take 2-4 weeks to reply / match?
For me it took a second email with the same info indicating I was waiting for reply and a week later, I got my match.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by ptownca
For me it took a second email with the same info indicating I was waiting for reply and a week later, I got my match.
May I ask
how long after sending the first email did you wait before sending the second email?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I hear they have a status match queue with just over 1,000 requests.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:45 pm

I emailed them my request 12/27, but haven't had any response yet (almost 2 weeks now)....
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by vudoosj
May I ask
how long after sending the first email did you wait before sending the second email?
Working from memory, about a week or so. (It was back in February sometime.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.