Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Apply from October 1 2017 for status match thru end of 2018.

JANUARY 2017 AS MATCH UPDATE

AS matches to MVPG75K, MVPG and MVP tiers

Alaskaair.com explanation and terms

Auto-response from [email protected]:

Thank you for your interest in our award winning Mileage Plan. If your request did not include a copy of both sides of your current elite card OR a screenshot of your digital elite membership card and a screen shot of your online account showing your name, current status and YTD miles flown please re-submit. Allow 2-4 weeks for processing once we have received your documents. When your Tier Match is complete, you'll receive a welcome email and can check your status at alaskaair.com/myaccount. Please note that Tier Matches can only be extended once during the life of your account and the status is valid through 12/31/2017. We look forward to welcoming you into our program and flying with you for many years to come! Also note, we only offer a Tier Match for: AeroMexico, Air Canada, American, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, Jet Blue, Southwest, United, and Virgin America
Attachments:
- Physical Elite Card (both sides) OR Screenshot of Digital Card
- Screenshot of online account with Name / Status / YTD miles flown
ID no longer required. Actual flying of a certain threshold is OFFICIALLY required for determining level of match. Only one match per lifetime of account.

Match to MVP status from:
Aeromexico Gold
Air Canada Altitude 25K (Prestige) and 35K
American Airlines AAdvantage Gold
Delta Silver Medallion
Frontier Elite
Hawaiian Pualani Gold
JetBlue TrueBlue Mosaic
Southwest A List
United Premier Silver and Premier Associate
Match to MVP Gold status from:
Aeromexico Platinum
Air Canada Altitude 50K
American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum
Delta Gold Medallion
Hawaiian Pualani Platinum
Southwest A-List Preferred
United Premier Gold
Match to Gold 75K status from:
Aeromexico Titanio
Air Canada Altitude 75K and 100K
American Airlines Platinum Pro, AAdvantage Executive Platinum, and ConciergeKey
Delta Platinum Medallion and Diamond Medallion
Southwest Companion Pass and A List Preferred (must hold both)
United Platinum, 1K, and Global Services

Ineligible Airline Reply
"Thank you for your interest in our Tier Match program. While we do appreciate
your anticipated business unfortunately, we do not offer Tier Matches to
members who have elite status with [INSERT INELIGIBLE AIRLINE]."
Ineligible MP Address Reply
"Thank you for your interest in our Tier Match program. While we do appreciate
your anticipated business, unfortunately we do not offer Tier Matches to
members who live outside of the Alaska Airlines route structure and therefore
we must decline your request for a Tier Match."
Print Wikipost

AS Status Match - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Just to give some updates, AS is being overly generous about matches. I know many of you out there want to, or should switch because of AA going to revenue now too. My Mother got matched last August from being DL gold, but at the time of the request she was no longer DL Gold since she had not re-qualified with DL's system. She wrote an e-mail to [email protected], and they matched her to Gold in their program based on her history of frequent travel on DL. Even though she did not re-qualify last year for Gold with AS because of the late match, they gave her Gold again this year.

Thought this may be helpful to know for those who did not re-qualify with their airline, but have a history of extensive travel that can be proven to get status now at AS.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:00 pm

DL Gold match?

I've traveled 50,000 miles on DL already in 2016, so I have DL Gold through end of 2017 now and likely to reach Platinum.

Given the weakness of Delta's FF plan and rarity of upgrades on the ATL to SEA route, I'm considering switching to Alaska. Should I push through on Delta to reach Platinum and stay there for 2016? Or see if Alaska will status match and collect my miles there for the rest of the year and moving forward?

Any tips?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Alaska e-mail
Additionally, please also note that Tier Matches can only be extended once
during the life of a Mileage Plan account and the status is valid through
12/31/2015. If you apply on or after October 1st, at that time we will honor
status through 2016.
Looking at my options with the announced AA changes today.

If I'm reading this correctly, and there have been no changes since last year, an Alaska status match right now would only hold me until the end of 2016, requiring me to fly 90K to requalify for top tier when partners are included, where a status match after October 1 will hold me through all of 2017 and give me the entire year to requalify? I can't see that I'd be able to meet the requalification requirements between Sept-Dec, but an entire year could work. Guess this assumes status matches will still be out there on October 1.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Looking at my options with the announced AA changes today.

If I'm reading this correctly, and there have been no changes since last year, an Alaska status match right now would only hold me until the end of 2016, requiring me to fly 90K to requalify for top tier when partners are included, where a status match after October 1 will hold me through all of 2017 and give me the entire year to requalify? I can't see that I'd be able to meet the requalification requirements between Sept-Dec, but an entire year could work. Guess this assumes status matches will still be out there on October 1.
tom911, even YOU are sniffing around!?

I think you have a solid understanding of AS's matching program. I don't see a reason they wouldn't keep it until October, but that's speculation. They could take it away at any time. Given the changes, they may also very well change how they calculate mileage earning on AA during that time.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I'm doing some sniffing too. This will be my third year as an AA EXP, but after moving from LAX to Orange County, my upgrade percentage on AA is only about 30% and the combined route networks of AS, AA and DL are much better than AA's three routes. Coupled with the potential of more local work (and not requalifying for EXP) the Alaska challenges are pretty tempting.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Given the changes, they may also very well change how they calculate mileage earning on AA during that time.
I'm sure that would all be sorted out by October. I spent some time with Fredd at OzFest and I know he is still happy with Alaska. I'm a leisure traveler so the revenue based turn at AA, which pretty much matches UA and DL, doesn't work in my favor. I tend to buy tickets a few months out so an Alaska match after October could work for 2017 travel.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I tend to buy tickets a few months out so an Alaska match after October could work for 2017 travel.
grab a few SkyTeam premium tickets for $1700 out of SFO now for 2017 travel...if you expect to go this route...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
The phone lines at Alaska must be lighting up today... I don't think I have ever visited this forum before, but now I am here trying to learn...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I'm sure that would all be sorted out by October. I spent some time with Fredd at OzFest and I know he is still happy with Alaska. I'm a leisure traveler so the revenue based turn at AA, which pretty much matches UA and DL, doesn't work in my favor. I tend to buy tickets a few months out so an Alaska match after October could work for 2017 travel.
With my LT PLT in hand, I status-matched to AS 3 years ago, kept MVPG throughout, and am a happy camper. I enjoy their customer-friendly policies... SDC and upgrades, both comp and GGU, have worked well for me, as has the allowed stopover on awards.

Will have to see how the updated AA earnings table will pan out... my first year of requal I had plenty of buffer, but my 2nd was by the skin of my teeth, and I rely pretty heavily on AA (int'l trips).
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Well, it looks like I'll spend the next couple months trying to accumulate the last of my AA miles for a trip this fall, then it'll be off to AS. I move to Seattle this fall and will be flying AS most of the time anyway. I do most of my flying on Gov't fares and will find it difficult to make the $6K PLT level. Hopefully the status match is still available in October. I'll be ending my 29 year run on AA with just under 900K lifetime miles. Oh well...time to seek out greener pastures.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
grab a few SkyTeam premium tickets for $1700 out of SFO now for 2017 travel...if you expect to go this route...
Not ready to book that far out and won't be changing FF programs today. My annual air budget had been around $8,000. If I need to fly 90K for top tier at Alaska, you won't see me buying $1,700 tickets. Five of those tickets would go over my budget and still leave me 30K short.

I have to look at the partner charts to see if I make out better or worse. Will Alaska continue to award 100% miles on AA? Don't think they'll be deciding today, but something I want to keep an eye on. I see some Delta fares only accrue 25% miles. If those are EQM also, the 8 miles per dollar spent at AA may tilt in their direction. Still need time to process everything.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Not ready to book that far out and won't be changing FF programs today. My annual air budget had been around $8,000. If I need to fly 90K for top tier at Alaska, you won't see me buying $1,700 tickets. Five of those tickets would go over my budget and still leave me 30K short.

I have to look at the partner charts to see if I make out better or worse. Will Alaska continue to award 100% miles on AA? Don't think they'll be deciding today, but something I want to keep an eye on. I see some Delta fares only accrue 25% miles. If those are EQM also, the 8 miles per dollar spent at AA may tilt in their direction. Still need time to process everything.
The mileage numbers in the charts are EQM and base RDM for AS. So a Delta X fare only earns 25% EQM and base RDM. Which is why none of us credit DL coach fares to AS anymore.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Well, it looks like I'll spend the next couple months trying to accumulate the last of my AA miles for a trip this fall, then it'll be off to AS. I move to Seattle this fall and will be flying AS most of the time anyway. I do most of my flying on Gov't fares and will find it difficult to make the $6K PLT level. Hopefully the status match is still available in October. I'll be ending my 29 year run on AA with just under 900K lifetime miles. Oh well...time to seek out greener pastures.
I would make the effort to earn AA LT GLD, even if most of your travel will be on AS. The new AA revenue-based mileage formula is relatively decent for GLDs (believe PLTs should be given more). Assuming fewer people end up with elite status with the new revenue requirement, upgrades and other bennies will become a bit easier, something you will be able to use for the rest of your life. Call me naive, but I am quite confident that US airlines will grandfather million-miler / lifetime status.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
How strict is AS in regard to the 1x lifetime status match?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by diver858
How strict is AS in regard to the 1x lifetime status match?
Also curious about this. Couldn't someone just create a new account with a different address?

Also what do top level MVP fliers earn on AA? Just 100% miles flown or an elite level bonus as well? Trying to determine if elite bonus is only for AS flights or also on partner flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.