Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS announces new service to PHL and FLL, discontinues service to MIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...207_045122.asp

Alaska Airlines Launching Daily Service from Seattle to Philadelphia, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Carrier offers introductory fares and double Mileage Plan miles on new routes
2/7/2012 5:00 a.m.

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines announced today it will launch new daily nonstop service between Seattle and Philadelphia, starting June 11, and between Seattle and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., beginning July 16, 2012.

"Philadelphia is one of the largest cities we don't currently serve from Seattle while Fort Lauderdale is a popular departure point for cruise ship passengers," said Joe Sprague, Alaska Airlines' vice president of marketing. "We're excited to be bringing our award-winning customer service to the ‘City of Brotherly Love' and ‘The Venice of America.' "

Summary of new Seattle-Philadelphia flights:

Start Date City Pair Departs Arrives Frequency
June 11 Seattle-Philadelphia 8:35 a.m. 4:55 p.m. Daily
June 11 Philadelphia-Seattle 5:55 p.m. 9:10 p.m. Daily
Summary of new Seattle-Fort Lauderdale flights:

Start Date City Pair Departs Arrives Frequency
July 16 Seattle-Fort Lauderdale 10:10 p.m. 6:55 a.m. Daily
July 17 Fort-Lauderdale-Seattle 8:10 a.m. 11:25 a.m. Daily
All times based on local time zones

With the introduction of Seattle-Fort Lauderdale service, Alaska Airlines will discontinue flights to Miami, a city the carrier has served from its Seattle hub since 2002.

"Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports are about 27 miles apart, so changing the airport we serve should have little effect on our customers," Sprague said. "By redirecting our flight to the lower-cost Fort Lauderdale airport, we can serve the same geographic area and continue to offer our customers low fares."

To celebrate the new market announcements, Alaska Airlines is offering introductory fares starting from $190* each way between Seattle and Philadelphia, and starting from $170* each way between Seattle and Fort Lauderdale. Both fares include all government taxes and fees. Tickets must be purchased by Feb. 13 and can be used for travel through July 11 for Philadelphia and by Aug. 29, 2012, for Fort Lauderdale. Visit www.alaskaair.com to purchase a ticket or call 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522 or TTY/TDD line 1-800-392-0228).

Members of Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan also can earn double miles on the carrier's nonstop flights between Seattle and Philadelphia through Aug. 6 and between Seattle and Fort Lauderdale through Sept. 11, 2012. To qualify, customers must first register at www.alaskaair.com .

The flights will be operated on Boeing 737-800 aircraft, accommodating 16 passengers in first class and 141 in the main cabin. All flights will offer Alaska's Northern Bites meal service, which allows passengers in the main cabin to purchase a hot meal for $6 or a cheese and fruit platter for $7. The flights also will offer Alaska's digEplayer inflight entertainment system, a handheld video-on-demand device featuring first-run movies, television programs and other entertainment options. The digEplayers are complimentary in first class and available for $14 in the main cabin.

Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK), together serve 90 cities through an expansive network in Alaska, the Lower 48, Hawaii, Canada and Mexico. Alaska Airlines ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Traditional Network Carriers" in the J.D. Power and Associates 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 North America Airline Satisfaction StudiesSM. For reservations, visit www.alaskaair.com. For more news and information, visit the Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air Newsroom at www.alaskaair.com/newsroom .

*General terms and conditions: A ticket purchased at an Alaska Airlines airport location or through a reservation call center will cost $15 more per person than the advertised fare. Tickets are nonrefundable. Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or all days. Other restrictions — such as day of week, blackout dates and advance purchase requirements — may apply. Visit www.alaskaair.com or call Alaska Airlines reservations at 1-800-ALASKAAIR for more information.

Terms and conditions for Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan double miles: Registration at www.alaskaair.com prior to the first qualifying flight is required in order to receive double miles. Other rules and restrictions apply to double mile promotions. Visit www.alaskaair.com for details.
Thanks to beckoa for the tip.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
...AS I was booking Thx
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:38 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooo

Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Downside of dropping service to MIA is lack of access to AA and DL connections there.

The move to FLL may or may not have an effect on the South Florida O&D traffic--I'm not familiar enough with the region to be able to make an educated observation about that. Where do most cruise ships depart from? If it's the Port of Miami, then the move to FLL could kill that traffic.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jackal
Downside of dropping service to MIA is lack of access to AA and DL connections there.

The move to FLL may or may not have an effect on the South Florida O&D traffic--I'm not familiar enough with the region to be able to make an educated observation about that. Where do most cruise ships depart from? If it's the Port of Miami, then the move to FLL could kill that traffic.
Lots of cruises from both Port Everglades (two miles from FLL) and the Port of Miami. Folks choose cruises based typically on the ship and the cruise line, not the air carrier that gets them there. Much less a hassle factor flying in/out of FLL than MIA, that's for sure.

I agree that it's quite interesting that as AS and AA get "closer", AS is pulling out of a major AA hub. But how many people were making connections in MIA anyway for further travel on AA?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Lots of cruises from both Port Everglades (two miles from FLL) and the Port of Miami. Folks choose cruises based typically on the ship and the cruise line, not the air carrier that gets them there. Much less a hassle factor flying in/out of FLL than MIA, that's for sure.
True, but they decide the air carrier based on where their cruise departs from. If they book a cruise that departs out of the Port of Miami, they probably won't fly AS into FLL to catch it. I'm assuming a good chunk of people on the AS flights to MIA are getting on a boat. Hopefully there's a similar level of demand out of Port Everglades to keep that traffic flowing on AS.

Originally Posted by dgreen12
I agree that it's quite interesting that as AS and AA get "closer", AS is pulling out of a major AA hub. But how many people were making connections in MIA anyway for further travel on AA?
Maybe not a ton, but I do know a few folks that have connected in MIA to onward flights to the Caribbean, Central America, and even backtracking up to other destinations in the American South.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
The intro fares out of GEG for travel in July, just before the "special pricing" expires, seem to be for just Tues/Weds.

Need to head to Philly for a wedding on the weekend after July 4, looks like it's going to be via DL (AS is already pricing "too high" --- but those west siders seem to like to pay for the non-stops).
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I saw your thread title and thought to myself, this is not April 1!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Thumbs down Lame

So, someone is making a stupid decision here IMO.. MIA sells out (as in F is sold out and Y is sold out, or almost) pretty much every weekend between November and April.. take a look at right now until April, there isn't a single seat in F on any flight down or back up Wed-Mon all of Feb, Mar or Apr.. these are REV seats, not upgrades, on their most expensive route.. and the $1200 Y fares sell out too.. tell me another route this happens to in AS, none that I know of.

FLL might will get some cruise traffic (with heavier than MIA competition) but no one going to MIA will fly to FLL then drive down, people just don't do that, it's a 40min (1hr 30min during traffic) drive and many people who fly to MIA for Miami Beach don't even rent cars. They will also lose AA connections down to Brazil (currently the 4th largest GOP country in the world) who is hosting the 2014 world cup and 2016 olympics.. they should be adding another plane that's seasonal instead of killing the route.

Anyhow, I'm highly affected since it's my biggest route, and I will most certainly not be flying into FLL.. I rather jump to Delta and connect in ATL.. I could make Platinum in Delta easily.. what a crock though.. and I was getting close to the million mark too *sigh* -- oh well whoever takes over the SEA-MIA route gets my new loyalty, anyone? anyone? I wonder if anyone matches million thresholds
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LuizMiranda
oh well whoever takes over the SEA-MIA route gets my new loyalty, anyone? anyone? I wonder if anyone matches million thresholds
I'm betting that's AA- they want to expand service out of MIA, and MIA is the only hub (that isn't also an AS focus city/hub) they do not serve SEA out of.

I have to wonder if this is a between AS and AA.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 7, 2012 at 10:04 am Reason: corrected because, duh, LAX
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Very excited about PHL as I will make good use of that route but I am shaking my head over the loss of the flight to MIA . I agree with Luiz that this route is more important than just getting tourists to the Miami area. A lot of international flights fly from MIA that don't from FLL, specifically to South and Central America. In fact, the only good reason to have a red-eye is to pick up a connecting morning flight. If they are changing to FLL they should at least get rid of the red-eye.

Now if they would just add TPA or RSW.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm betting that's AA- they want to expand service out of MIA, and MIA is the only hub they do not serve SEA out of.

AA doesn't fly SEA-LAX, another AA hub.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Xero
AA doesn't fly SEA-LAX, another AA hub.
Right.

But I don't think AS is going to drop SEA-LAX (since LAX is a focus city for AS). Nobody is going to serve SEA-MIA if there isn't a hub/focus city for the other airline on the other end.

I'd also think AA would be best at timing their SEA-MIA flight to maximize LatAm connecting traffic...
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
In fact, the only good reason to have a red-eye is to pick up a connecting morning flight. If they are changing to FLL they should at least get rid of the red-eye.
Well, although I wouldn't consider a cruise a "good reason," perhaps AS does and knows it is selling a lot of cruise connections. Only a red-eye permits a "same day" cruise from the west coast.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It must be.

I would think a NS MIA flight could command higher fares the FLL, but maybe this is a first step in a bigger plan for south Florida.

Both these new flights may be part of a response to VX. VX has relatively recently started flying from the west coast to both PHL and FLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.