Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Is there any way to request an invite from AS? I've considered applying for NEXUS, but am not in WA often enough to schedule the CBP/CBSA interview.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by baliktad
As a NEXUS card holder, your Trusted Traveler Number is listed on the back of your NEXUS card under PASSID. You can also look up this number on the GOES web site.
Thanks for this. Perfect!

Mrs Seaflyguy and I were flying out of LAS and saw some signage related to PreCheck. I had read about the GE/NEXUS connection and we both have both, so I asked one of the TSA "officers" about it. Of course, the officer denied there was any relationship at all between GE/NEXUS and PreCheck. Sigh.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jimmychang
No, if you are invited, you just need to opt in and that's all you need to do.
If you are not invited but in CBP program, you will enter the Known Traveler Number when the program is effective with AS.
Awesome thanks ^

With one trip a year so far Int'l the other programs are not needed yet...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by tombiro
Yeah, I've never noticed it on DL either until a flight I booked earlier today. Fly them a few times a month for work...is it new on there?
I used it back in October at DTW. All I had to do was enter the PASSID from my NEXUS Card on DL.com. When the TDC scanned by BP, they waived me over to the Pre-check lane which was basically a pre-9/11 style screening.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=OverThereTooMuch;17875237]The SEA GE office is one of the few that's not located at the airport. But several options there for you to choose from. You can confirm in the Travel Security forum, but I think you can get interviews at some of the locations on the weekend.

Edit: I've been told that the SEA GE office is indeed in the airport now. When I signed up a year or so ago, my interview was somewhere else. QUOTE]

I did my GE interview over a year ago at the CPB office on the mezzanine level at SeaTac (took about 15 minutes, and was mostly a demo of the kiosk). I like it--my last Customs clearance at JFK took about 90 seconds.

A friend of mine who applied for a NEXUS card around the same time was sent to BFI, I think because Canadian customs had a rep there, and they were part of the NEXUS interview.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
Thanks for this. Perfect!

Mrs Seaflyguy and I were flying out of LAS and saw some signage related to PreCheck. I had read about the GE/NEXUS connection and we both have both, so I asked one of the TSA "officers" about it. Of course, the officer denied there was any relationship at all between GE/NEXUS and PreCheck. Sigh.
I have still had problems using my Nexus card as my airport ID. OAK would not accept it, LIH looked at it for ages before accepting it; LAX at the AA PREMIUM security had to call a supervisor. Amazing.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Is there any way to request an invite from AS? I've considered applying for NEXUS, but am not in WA often enough to schedule the CBP/CBSA interview.
I don't think you can request an invite at this time. If you can't get to a CBP enrollment center for GE, you may be out of like until later. I think AA did one or two additional rollouts, so maybe you'll get your email later.

This is a bit confusing, but there are two ways to get into the PreCheck expedited screening. One is to be invited by your airline. I have NOT so far received an invitation from Alaska as an MVPG flyer. I did get one from AA as an EXP flyer.

The second is to update your profile (WHEN THE AIRLINE ADDS THE NECESSARY FIELD TO ACCEPT IT) to enter your Customs and Border Protection ID (aka PASS ID). At some point after AA joined the PreCheck pilot, I noticed this new field and entered my ID. After I saved, I saw a Green Checkbox and the words "Known Passenger". Unfortunately, I have not yet needed to clear security at an airport with PreCheck, although I will at LAX in the not-too-distant future.

If you were both invited by the airline and have the PASS ID, it may increase the chances that you get the good message when they scan your boarding pass. But please understand that at random times, even PreCheck enrollees may have to go through standard security.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by chucko
A friend of mine who applied for a NEXUS card around the same time was sent to BFI, I think because Canadian customs had a rep there, and they were part of the NEXUS interview.
When I enrolled in NEXUS a few months ago, they automatically enrolled me in GE for free. The interview at BFI took about 15 minutes. They basically just take your fingerprints and explain the rules of the program.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by hgdf
When I enrolled in NEXUS a few months ago, they automatically enrolled me in GE for free. The interview at BFI took about 15 minutes. They basically just take your fingerprints and explain the rules of the program.
I enrolled for CanPass air about 5 years ago, just as NEXUS began to be established. That interview was a little more involved. The NEXUS/GE interview was practically nothing. They didn't even do a new iris scan as they had the one on file from CanPass. They did take fingerprints for GE.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by makfan
hey didn't even do a new iris scan as they had the one on file from CanPass. They did take fingerprints for GE.
The CBP folks at BFI told me that they don't do iris scans, but that I could have one done at the CBSA office at YVR if I want to use my NEXUS card for air travel.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:12 pm

The CBP folks at BFI told me that they don't do iris scans, but that I could have one done at the CBSA office at YVR if I want to use my NEXUS card for air travel.
I did my NEXUS at YVR as I was heading there for other reasons anyway.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
FWIW, I didn't get an email. I qualify via NEXUS/GE, but I'm still not sure why AS didn't "invite" me to the program. Maybe because I don't list SEA as my "home" airport?

No iris scans stateside, or at any facility in Canada that isn't at an airport. Any NEXUS airport in Canada can do them.

The ever so pleasant CBSA guy at BFI said you can drop in but the wait can be "hit and miss, eh" depending on how busy they are.

Last edited by tusphotog; Jan 27, 2012 at 3:18 am
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Originally Posted by tusphotog
No iris scans stateside, or at any facility in Canada that isn't at an airport.
I'm 99.9% sure I had my iris scan done downtown Vancouver - not at the airport. I think somewhere on Dunsmuir St ?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by tbau
I'm 99.9% sure I had my iris scan done downtown Vancouver - not at the airport. I think somewhere on Dunsmuir St ?
Apparantly you're correct, there is a location on Dunsmuir.

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...scan-locations

I was not familiar with that location. I had my iris scan done at YVR, it took about 5 minutes and was well worth every second of the wait. I breeze through immigration at YVR and YYZ practically without stopping.

Originally Posted by makfan
The second is to update your profile (WHEN THE AIRLINE ADDS THE NECESSARY FIELD TO ACCEPT IT) to enter your Customs and Border Protection ID (aka PASS ID). At some point after AA joined the PreCheck pilot, I noticed this new field and entered my ID. After I saved, I saw a Green Checkbox and the words "Known Passenger". Unfortunately, I have not yet needed to clear security at an airport with PreCheck, although I will at LAX in the not-too-distant future.
That's what I did for my AA profile, just entered in my GOES Pass ID and I have the green checkmark and it states I'm part of the TSA Expedited Screening Program when I make a booking (see: here). I've gone through at LAX and it's a breeze. I also signed up for CO's pilot program, though I have no idea when they're rolling that out; as well as DL's.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tbau
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Apparantly you're correct, there is a location on Dunsmuir.
I guess the CBSA guy that did my interview last week was wrong. Silly me for not double checking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.