FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1305066-tsa-pre-precheck-alaska-airlines-questions-experiences-2012-21-a.html)

Tide_from_PAE Jan 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Is there any way to request an invite from AS? I've considered applying for NEXUS, but am not in WA often enough to schedule the CBP/CBSA interview.

seaflyguy Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 17877940)
As a NEXUS card holder, your Trusted Traveler Number is listed on the back of your NEXUS card under PASSID. You can also look up this number on the GOES web site.

Thanks for this. Perfect!

Mrs Seaflyguy and I were flying out of LAS and saw some signage related to PreCheck. I had read about the GE/NEXUS connection and we both have both, so I asked one of the TSA "officers" about it. Of course, the officer denied there was any relationship at all between GE/NEXUS and PreCheck. Sigh.

beckoa Jan 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jimmychang (Post 17881886)
No, if you are invited, you just need to opt in and that's all you need to do.
If you are not invited but in CBP program, you will enter the Known Traveler Number when the program is effective with AS.

Awesome thanks ^

With one trip a year so far Int'l the other programs are not needed yet...

hgdf Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by tombiro (Post 17880334)
Yeah, I've never noticed it on DL either until a flight I booked earlier today. Fly them a few times a month for work...is it new on there?

I used it back in October at DTW. All I had to do was enter the PASSID from my NEXUS Card on DL.com. When the TDC scanned by BP, they waived me over to the Pre-check lane which was basically a pre-9/11 style screening.

chucko Jan 25, 2012 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=OverThereTooMuch;17875237]The SEA GE office is one of the few that's not located at the airport. But several options there for you to choose from. You can confirm in the Travel Security forum, but I think you can get interviews at some of the locations on the weekend.

Edit: I've been told that the SEA GE office is indeed in the airport now. When I signed up a year or so ago, my interview was somewhere else. QUOTE]

I did my GE interview over a year ago at the CPB office on the mezzanine level at SeaTac (took about 15 minutes, and was mostly a demo of the kiosk). I like it--my last Customs clearance at JFK took about 90 seconds.

A friend of mine who applied for a NEXUS card around the same time was sent to BFI, I think because Canadian customs had a rep there, and they were part of the NEXUS interview.

makfan Jan 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by seaflyguy (Post 17885561)
Thanks for this. Perfect!

Mrs Seaflyguy and I were flying out of LAS and saw some signage related to PreCheck. I had read about the GE/NEXUS connection and we both have both, so I asked one of the TSA "officers" about it. Of course, the officer denied there was any relationship at all between GE/NEXUS and PreCheck. Sigh.

I have still had problems using my Nexus card as my airport ID. OAK would not accept it, LIH looked at it for ages before accepting it; LAX at the AA PREMIUM security had to call a supervisor. Amazing.

makfan Jan 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE (Post 17885476)
Is there any way to request an invite from AS? I've considered applying for NEXUS, but am not in WA often enough to schedule the CBP/CBSA interview.

I don't think you can request an invite at this time. If you can't get to a CBP enrollment center for GE, you may be out of like until later. I think AA did one or two additional rollouts, so maybe you'll get your email later.

This is a bit confusing, but there are two ways to get into the PreCheck expedited screening. One is to be invited by your airline. I have NOT so far received an invitation from Alaska as an MVPG flyer. I did get one from AA as an EXP flyer.

The second is to update your profile (WHEN THE AIRLINE ADDS THE NECESSARY FIELD TO ACCEPT IT) to enter your Customs and Border Protection ID (aka PASS ID). At some point after AA joined the PreCheck pilot, I noticed this new field and entered my ID. After I saved, I saw a Green Checkbox and the words "Known Passenger". Unfortunately, I have not yet needed to clear security at an airport with PreCheck, although I will at LAX in the not-too-distant future.

If you were both invited by the airline and have the PASS ID, it may increase the chances that you get the good message when they scan your boarding pass. But please understand that at random times, even PreCheck enrollees may have to go through standard security.

hgdf Jan 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by chucko (Post 17886760)
A friend of mine who applied for a NEXUS card around the same time was sent to BFI, I think because Canadian customs had a rep there, and they were part of the NEXUS interview.

When I enrolled in NEXUS a few months ago, they automatically enrolled me in GE for free. The interview at BFI took about 15 minutes. They basically just take your fingerprints and explain the rules of the program.

makfan Jan 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by hgdf (Post 17886859)
When I enrolled in NEXUS a few months ago, they automatically enrolled me in GE for free. The interview at BFI took about 15 minutes. They basically just take your fingerprints and explain the rules of the program.

I enrolled for CanPass air about 5 years ago, just as NEXUS began to be established. That interview was a little more involved. The NEXUS/GE interview was practically nothing. They didn't even do a new iris scan as they had the one on file from CanPass. They did take fingerprints for GE.

hgdf Jan 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 17886908)
hey didn't even do a new iris scan as they had the one on file from CanPass. They did take fingerprints for GE.

The CBP folks at BFI told me that they don't do iris scans, but that I could have one done at the CBSA office at YVR if I want to use my NEXUS card for air travel.

makfan Jan 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by hgdf (Post 17887045)
The CBP folks at BFI told me that they don't do iris scans, but that I could have one done at the CBSA office at YVR if I want to use my NEXUS card for air travel.

I did my NEXUS at YVR as I was heading there for other reasons anyway.

tusphotog Jan 27, 2012 3:05 am

FWIW, I didn't get an email. I qualify via NEXUS/GE, but I'm still not sure why AS didn't "invite" me to the program. Maybe because I don't list SEA as my "home" airport?

Originally Posted by hgdf (Post 17887045)

No iris scans stateside, or at any facility in Canada that isn't at an airport. Any NEXUS airport in Canada can do them.

The ever so pleasant CBSA guy at BFI said you can drop in but the wait can be "hit and miss, eh" depending on how busy they are.

tbau Jan 27, 2012 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 17896166)
No iris scans stateside, or at any facility in Canada that isn't at an airport.

I'm 99.9% sure I had my iris scan done downtown Vancouver - not at the airport. I think somewhere on Dunsmuir St ?

Aaron01 Jan 27, 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by tbau (Post 17898287)
I'm 99.9% sure I had my iris scan done downtown Vancouver - not at the airport. I think somewhere on Dunsmuir St ?

Apparantly you're correct, there is a location on Dunsmuir.

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/...scan-locations

I was not familiar with that location. I had my iris scan done at YVR, it took about 5 minutes and was well worth every second of the wait. I breeze through immigration at YVR and YYZ practically without stopping.

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 17886858)
The second is to update your profile (WHEN THE AIRLINE ADDS THE NECESSARY FIELD TO ACCEPT IT) to enter your Customs and Border Protection ID (aka PASS ID). At some point after AA joined the PreCheck pilot, I noticed this new field and entered my ID. After I saved, I saw a Green Checkbox and the words "Known Passenger". Unfortunately, I have not yet needed to clear security at an airport with PreCheck, although I will at LAX in the not-too-distant future.

That's what I did for my AA profile, just entered in my GOES Pass ID and I have the green checkmark and it states I'm part of the TSA Expedited Screening Program when I make a booking (see: here). I've gone through at LAX and it's a breeze. I also signed up for CO's pilot program, though I have no idea when they're rolling that out; as well as DL's.

tusphotog Jan 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by tbau (Post 17898287)

Originally Posted by Aaron01 (Post 17901056)
Apparantly you're correct, there is a location on Dunsmuir.

I guess the CBSA guy that did my interview last week was wrong. Silly me for not double checking!