Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Anyone know how late the PreCheck line at SEA is open? I have a redeye on Sat night.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by ellinj
Anyone know how late the PreCheck line at SEA is open? I have a redeye on Sat night.
As of January 2013, SEA PreCheck closes at 8PM. The TSA agents I asked hadn't heard of any plans to expand the hours that PreCheck is open.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
At my interview for Global Entry, the CBP agent said that AS (and the other 4 participating airlines) is only allocated so many PreCheck slots each day so the more AS elites that get a Global Entry number the more slots are available for elites.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fooko2002
At my interview for Global Entry, the CBP agent said that AS (and the other 4 participating airlines) is only allocated so many PreCheck slots each day so the more AS elites that get a Global Entry number the more slots are available for elites.
Interesting that you got a CBP guy who even knew what PreCheck was, not to mention the details and workings behind it. I asked my CBP guy about PreCheck and he didn't even know what it was. When I started to say, "the TSA priority screening program," he interrupted me and said, "TSA is DHS. We don't deal with that here."

I'm also slightly confused what slots he's talking about. The more slots for what are available for elites?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jackal
Interesting that you got a CBP guy who even knew what PreCheck was, not to mention the details and workings behind it. I asked my CBP guy about PreCheck and he didn't even know what it was. When I started to say, "the TSA priority screening program," he interrupted me and said, "TSA is DHS. We don't deal with that here."

I'm also slightly confused what slots he's talking about. The more slots for what are available for elites?
Maybe part of the randomness is that, say, AS gets 100 "slots" for passengers to use pre-check per day. If there are 105 AS passengers that qualify in a day, at least 5 won't be get the triple beep.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Maybe that's why AS doesn't seem to be inviting any new elites to opt-in? Has anyone received an invite from AS since they first started Pre-Check? I was only MVP at that time and missed out. Now I'm 75K and flying a lot...sure would be nice to get an invite. I would go for a NEXUS card, but being PDX-based makes it a real pain to schedule the interview since the closest location is in Seattle.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Maybe part of the randomness is that, say, AS gets 100 "slots" for passengers to use pre-check per day. If there are 105 AS passengers that qualify in a day, at least 5 won't be get the triple beep.
Sounds a bit fishy to me..
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Sounds a bit fishy to me..
To me, too.

Too many 1Ks with GE (including myself) are reporting 100% success with GE (I haven't seen a decline in probably a dozen itineraries since getting GE). Plus, getting a certain number per day would mean that those on evening departures should have a greater chance of getting a denial because all of the slots were used earlier in the day. That hasn't been my experience nor what I've seen in the very extensive UA thread on PreCheck.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by pdxray
I would go for a NEXUS card, but being PDX-based makes it a real pain to schedule the interview since the closest location is in Seattle.
Do it.

Being GEG-based made it an even bigger pain, but I'm glad I scheduled it.

PDX has Pre-Check, you'll get an immediate return on the investment of time.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Had success Mon evening in ANC and just now in PDX.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
To me, too.

Too many 1Ks with GE (including myself) are reporting 100% success with GE (I haven't seen a decline in probably a dozen itineraries since getting GE). Plus, getting a certain number per day would mean that those on evening departures should have a greater chance of getting a denial because all of the slots were used earlier in the day. That hasn't been my experience nor what I've seen in the very extensive UA thread on PreCheck.
I'm skeptical as well. Assuming they did it that way, it would have to be during the checkin process when the PreCheck status is embedded into the barcode on your BP. So far, I'm still batting 100% on the triple beep using my NEXUS card with the exception of a couple flights to Canada. When possible, I also Pre-Check my PreCheck using a barcode scanner just to make sure.

The only randomness I've experienced with PreCheck has been in the form of extra procedures, such as hand-swabbing.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hgdf
So far, I'm still batting 100% on the triple beep using my NEXUS card with the exception of a couple flights to Canada.
I'm doubtful the flights to Canada would ever triple-beep. From the PreCheck FAQ:

Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?

A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.

Neil
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:09 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
To me, too.

I think the person's point was that the CBP agent said when a passenger has GE, he or she does not use up one of the airline's Pre-Check "slots." In other words, getting Pre-Check via GE membership leaves open more slots for non-GE elites, per the CBP officer.

I have no idea if any of this is actually true. Just clarifying what the OP seems to be saying here.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nnn
I think the person's point was that the CBP agent said when a passenger has GE, he or she does not use up one of the airline's Pre-Check "slots." In other words, getting Pre-Check via GE membership leaves open more slots for non-GE elites, per the CBP officer.

I have no idea if any of this is actually true. Just clarifying what the OP seems to be saying here.
Ah, that would make more sense.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm doubtful the flights to Canada would ever triple-beep. From the PreCheck FAQ:

Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?

A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.
Someone want to take a crack at the rationale for this rule? Or is purely arbitrary?

If I'm headed to country A [a nice safe western democracy] from PDX via LAX, why would I pose any higher degree of risk for TSA purposes than the person who is simply flying PDX-LAX?

Not only that, but if I were intent on circumventing this stupidity so I can take advantage of Precheck, how hard would it be to book my int'l itin from the gateway city and the domestic segments separately. And of course, if I were a real America-hating scoundrel, I would naturally do it this way and conceal my ultimate int'l destination in country X (evil authoritarian regime).

So, what am I missing here?

--mcz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.