Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
For what it's worth, I've been in Pre-Check on Delta since they debuted in Atlanta and it's AWESOME - 7 for 7 on getting directed to that line after they started. And no, I did not need to get interviewed or do anything special - in fact, I didn't even apply for the program. I think the fact that I'm Gold on DL (and AS) and have a redress number got me in.

I did get the invite from AS and clicked the link. Since SEA is still somewhere I often travel, I'm happy if that's one of the AS locations.

Dave
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Sounds like by the end of 2012, our friends way up north should be happy. Glad to see Portland and PHX on the list! Now once WN is in this, I'll be really happy...

The TSA expansion of Pre-check by the end of the year will include Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Boston Logan, Charlotte Douglas, Cincinnati, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Houston's Bush, Honolulu, Indianapolis, New York's LaGuardia, St. Louis Lambert, New Orleans, Puerto Rico's San Juan Luis Munoz Marin, Newark, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Anchorage and Washington Dulles.
Rest here.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Sounds like by the end of 2012, our friends way up north should be happy. Glad to see Portland and PHX on the list! Now once WN is in this, I'll be really happy...

Rest here.
I hope BOS includes Terminal A. TSA likes to test all the unfriendly new procedures there. Would be nice to have a customer friendly procedure there.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
FYI

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...etsNews&rpc=43
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I usually delete all the e-mails from alaska. Is there someone to contact to see if I was invited.

Been Gold for 5 years and now 75 for the last 2.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

W00hoo

Told TSO that PANC would be getting this soon during a patdown last week (they seem to like asking questions why we don't want to go thru the scanner- but is another subject) and I mentioned this and he was confused insisting we'd still go thru the device or patdown. But I saw thw setup in DTW and it looks pretty schweet. Excited to see ANC added.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Told TSO that PANC would be getting this soon during a patdown last week (they seem to like asking questions why we don't want to go thru the scanner- but is another subject)
Not as many questions as the untrusted traveler program they got going at AS's home at BOS.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
I'm looking forward to it being implemented at SEA, although disappointed it won't be until after my next trip to SEA.

A couple notes from my experience (once at LAS on DL, once at LAX on AA, and once at MIA on AA):
Some airports have a separate line walking up exclusively for TSA Pre (LAX/AA, LAS/AA&DL), others mix elite and Pre (MIA). If a separate line, from my experience and what I've read, the wait to get up front is practically nothing, and I've usually been the only person going through the Pre line. If shared with the elite wait, it potentially adds to the total time. Be sure to tell the person directing people explicitly that you are TSA Pre, at LAX they open a rope to the side for you.
Glasses, light jackets, shoes, wallet, etc all stay on my body, only significant metal objects have to be taken off - maybe keys, definitely cell phones, some watches (my watch is a iPod Nano which does need to come off), possibly some belts if a particularly large buckle.
Everything stays in the bag, I've gone from 4 containers with regular security to 1 or 0 (depending on if I throw my phone/watch/whatnot into a bag or a container).
The TSA screeners have always been very pleasant in the Pre line, I'm sure because things are simpler for them, and the people they are screening are happier.
AFAIK, all TSA Pre lines only use a de-tuned metal detector, and never a body scanner.

Note especially applicable for AS members, if you regularly fly airlines other than AS (but use the reciprocal status for AA & DL like I do), there's definitely a benefit of just signing up for NEXUS (if you go into Canada semi-regularly), SENTRI (if you go into Mexico by land semi-regularly), or Global Entry, as it is usable on all three.

For both AA & DL, you can enter the number on booking online, and for DL you can also do it after booking online. For AA you have to do it over the phone, and I ended up calling three times (first person didn't know how to do it, thought she did, but I later found out she hadn't, second person did, but I called a third time to verify as there is no indication online).

One other thing I have noticed is that if it is setup for one airline at an airport, and the security checkpoint it is shared with other airlines that are also part of the program, then all (currently two) airlines' members can use TSA Pre there. For example at LAS both AA and DL use the same checkpoint, and they both do TSA Pre there, I imagine that AS will be added there as well once they are up and running. From what I've read/would guess, the checkpoint at SEA will support all TSA Pre airlines when it opens.

Unfortunately at other airports with separate security areas (like LAX), it is generally airline specific. Currently only AA has it at LAX. I'm also guessing we wouldn't see it with AS at LAX until the move to T6 at the earliest.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
TSA pre-check invitation

I just got the email welcoming me into the TSA pre check program at Sea Tac via Alaska mileage plan.
Anyone else got the same?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I got the same thing. Strange that it came now and not in the first batch of invitations they sent back in February.

It says that SEA will have Pre-Check "later this spring." Can't wait to try it up there.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:44 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
AS started sending out mail in January. Please see this thread for details and discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-program.html
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
I just got an invitation today too, which surprised me a bit as I'm just an MVP.

I also have Global Entry, so once they add the ability to put my PASS ID in my record, I'll add that too.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:06 pm

got my email today as well

My flying has decreased significantly over the past two years but I guess they need outliers to participate as well...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Score!

I got my invite in the first round, presumably because I'm MVPG. Mrs. DCA-SEA and I were strategizing about getting NEXUS cards so she could opt in, for when we travel together...

...but she just got an invite today, as an MVP!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
I got my invite in the first round, presumably because I'm MVPG. Mrs. DCA-SEA and I were strategizing about getting NEXUS cards so she could opt in, for when we travel together...

...but she just got an invite today, as an MVP!

I'm Gold and only got an email today myself.. but then again I didn't care too much since i'm NEXUS already so I don't need an Alaska invite though I accepted anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.