Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Old May 2, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Did you print the boarding pass online, with the kiosk or the mobile ?
From my experience with AA it doesn't matter. I'm also 100% with them after putting my GOES ID (from NEXUS) in my profile; I have printed from home, from a kiosk and from an agent. I haven't tried a mobile BP yet.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Well, BP definately doesn't have an industry standard. Has anybody succeed with the printed online BP with AS?

Originally Posted by Aaron01
From my experience with AA it doesn't matter. I'm also 100% with them after putting my GOES ID (from NEXUS) in my profile; I have printed from home, from a kiosk and from an agent. I haven't tried a mobile BP yet.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Well, BP definately doesn't have an industry standard. Has anybody succeed with the printed online BP with AS?
That's true, but the info is stored in the barcode, so in theory it shouldn't matter how you printed up the barcode. I would think your pass/fail is generated and stored before the OLCI window opens. So even if you fail using a mobile BP, you wouldn't have passed with a kiosk printed one.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Looking forward to my first "try" on AS in Seattle. I'm 12/12 at ATL (Delta) since October last year. Hoping my luck in SEA is as good.

Dave
Old May 2, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Does anyone know how to confirm with AS that one is signed up?

I signed up when I was first offered the shot as an MVPG, but the last time I went through, the TSA agent said that I didn't get the "triple beep" that the OP referred to, and suggested that I doublecheck with AS. My wife did, even though she signed up much more recently.

My first try will be a week from today.

Edited to add:
Called the Gold desk, which confirmed that they have my Precheck opt-in. Could have just had a bp printing problem as described by people below in this thread.

Last edited by DCA-SEA; May 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

That's true, but the info is stored in the barcode, so in theory it shouldn't matter how you printed up the barcode.
Not just in theory, in practice. This has been proved on AA.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Are you sure the bar codes are all the same with different kind of boarding passes? I know they should but they may not. Who knows how this new information is added? Still has anyone got any luck with the online boarding pass of AS? Because the TSA agent at Pre Check told me it only works for those printed by Kiosk. Truth or not, I have no idea. But the online BP failed me the other day.

That's true, but the info is stored in the barcode, so in theory it shouldn't matter how you printed up the barcode. I would think your pass/fail is generated and stored before the OLCI window opens. So even if you fail using a mobile BP, you wouldn't have passed with a kiosk printed one.

Last edited by jimmychang; May 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
AS printed boarding pass at FC MVPG baggage counter, evening flight on April 24, no triple beep (but earlier in the week all my flights with printed at home BP and printed by AS at SEA Bps I did get triple beeps) I ended up going through reg N gate but there was no traffic at 4:30PM, next trip will be this Sunday, lets hope my average goes from 0.000 to .500

CTP
Old May 3, 2012, 12:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
1/1 after I got the triple beep at SEA today. Was strangely exhilarating being able to walk through a domestic checkpoint with my shoes on and my liquids and laptop in bag.

I did alarm the WTMD the first time due to my large metal belt buckle and keys, but a quick hop back through got me cleared in no time. It's a shocking departure from the usual harassment grope I usually get. I like the program, but this is the way security should be for everyone.

A few other quick points:
- The guy in front of me was expecting to get pre check access, but didn't get the triple beep. The TDC spent an inordinate amount of time explaining how security could only be assured if there was a random element added, and that he should only expect to go through the expedited lane 80 or 90 percent of the time.
- When I buzzed the WTMD, someone had to mark it down. Evidently they are keeping stats on failures. Calibration perhaps?
- You must go to the TDC that has the bar code scanning device at his podium. Right now there is only one at the North checkpoint, on the far right where the elite lane normally is. The entrance is immediately outside of the MVP/First bag drop.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
1/1. Flew SEA-IAH and got the triple beep.

When I checked in I asked the agent about precheck and she had no clue what I was talking about. I told her about the e-mail I received and said that was just an invitation from the TSA and gave me a Global Entry flyer and said I needed to get with the TSA for a redress number.

I just politely said thanks and went on my merry way.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by apodo77
Just used it in Seattle. Was through security in about 1 minute.

Based out of PDX and wasn't sure how it worked and the GA who checked my bag said I had to contact the TSA and get a redress number for pre check.

Obviously she was not educated on what pre check is.

Looking forward to the roll out in PDX soon.
PDX is the 15th !!!! I asked when flying out yesterday.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
My wife and I (both 75K and pre-checked) flew from SEA yesterday. We checked in at the MVP/First Class line and had our boarding passes printed there. When neither of us got triple-beeped that TSA agent pulled me aside and asked where I got my boarding pass from. When I told him it was from the agent he said they have been seeing that those BP's are printing differently and not getting triple-beeped. He showed me how the bar code on my BP does not print edge-to-edge and other people's were (I saw it myself). He can't be sure but he thinks that somehow that has something to do with the pre-check info not being in the truncated bar code.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I was told by the SEA agent that the BP needs to be printed up at the kiosks and will not print properly for precheck at their computers.
Old May 3, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by apodo77
I was told by the SEA agent that the BP needs to be printed up at the kiosks and will not print properly for precheck at their computers.
Both me and my travel companion who are both NEXUS members got the single beep last week after checking in with the agent at the F/MVP checkin line. When checking bags I usually let the agent print the BP for me, but knowing this I guess I'll start printing it at the kiosk.

Any idea whether PreCheck works with the mobile BP?
Old May 3, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
MWhen I told him it was from the agent he said they have been seeing that those BP's are printing differently and not getting triple-beeped. He showed me how the bar code on my BP does not print edge-to-edge and other people's were (I saw it myself). He can't be sure but he thinks that somehow that has something to do with the pre-check info not being in the truncated bar code.
I know AA was having that issue for a while too (kiosk fine, agent printed not), I think it has to do with the printer used.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.