Q400 Seating

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by italdesign
Never been on one of these yet. Is there a front door? If not, that means row 1 deplanes last?
The Q400s have a front and back door. Some stations board from the front and back, while others just use the front.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Can anyone tell me why row 19 on this aircraft is never made available for seat selection? Is there a row 19 ? Also, all the seats in rows 5-9 are consistently blocked out. We'd definitely prefer to sit as far forward as possible, but are not elite members.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Rows 4 and forward are reserved for elites and full fare customers. The rest of the plane is open to everyone, however, they tend to block several rows for “airport control” that they can assign out at the last
minute. As an elite I can call in and ask them to unblock them, but for non-elites they probably wouldn’t do that.

Personally the last row in the plane is great, very quiet and usually first on/off when they use two doors.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Can anyone tell me why row 19 on this aircraft is never made available for seat selection? Is there a row 19 ? Also, all the seats in rows 5-9 are consistently blocked out. We'd definitely prefer to sit as far forward as possible, but are not elite members.
The foward rows are blocked for Elites and full fare passengers but you can select any seat available at check-in. What route are you flying? With the Q400 in many cities they open both the front and back doors for boarding and deplaning so it never takes long to deplane 76 passengers.

There are 76 seats in a 2x2, A,B D,E configuration. Rows are numbered 1 to 20 on the door side of the aircraft and 2 to 19 on the other side. AS has 39 of these aircraft. Details can be found here.

James in Phoenix
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Rows 5-9 are blocked for weight and balance reasons unless they sell enough seats that they need them. On the Q400 flights I start every trip with (YLW-SEA), it’s not uncommon to have those seats stay blocked. They’ll usually let people move into them but not until after takeoff.

As others have said, because they usually do boarding and deplaning out of both doors, seats near the back of the Q400 aren’t bad. And if you have a rollaboard gate checked, you’re waiting for that anyway, so there’s not much of a premium in getting off the plane first. Either way, with 76 seats and two doors, deplaning is quick.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:10 am

Thanks for the info. Still curious why row 19 is blocked on every flight- even checking flights in 2020. Also, will be flying from SMF and into PDX and PDX-BOI. Are jetbridges used at these stations for this aircraft? If so, sitting in the back means I'll have to get into the terminals by climbing stairs, something I'd like to avoid.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Thanks for the info. Still curious why row 19 is blocked on every flight- even checking flights in 2020. Also, will be flying from SMF and into PDX and PDX-BOI. Are jetbridges used at these stations for this aircraft? If so, sitting in the back means I'll have to get into the terminals by climbing stairs, something I'd like to avoid.
Jetbridges aren't used at any station for this aircraft type and the only way to get in/out of it (whether the front or the back) is via stairs.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashill

Rows 5-9 are blocked for weight and balance reasons unless they sell enough seats that they need them. On the Q400 flights I start every trip with (YLW-SEA), it’s not uncommon to have those seats stay blocked. They’ll usually let people move into them but not until after takeoff.

[...]
Me too! A request from the pilot to have "'x" passengers move from one side to the other for weight and balance consideration is not unheard of too. Rows 5-9 represent 20 seats which is over 25% of capacity so they are occupied on fuller flights.

Interestingly, I was on one SEA-YLW flight that was at capacity with 20 children plus 5 lap infants.

For the OP these aircraft sit low to the ground and do not use a jet bridge. The doors have intergrated steps so there will be about 5 steps to/from the ground and some walking between the plane and terminal.

James in Phoenix, YLW tonight.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Still curious why row 19 is blocked on every flight- even checking flights in 2020.
I don't know specifically, but it's common on many airlines to block the last row for crew use unless it's needed. That would be my guess here.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Jetbridges aren't used at any station for this aircraft type and the only way to get in/out of it (whether the front or the back) is via stairs.
I did have a jetbridge the first time I flew into YLW in 2007 or so. (May have been a Q200 rather than a Q400 at the time; I don't remember.) But I certainly haven't encountered a jetbridge on a Q400 at any airport on any airline since.

They fairly often don't use the rear doors at YLW for deplaning, and they often don't use them when we arrive at the remote stand bus gate near the Delta hanger in SEA for Customs. But for domestic arrivals at most stations, I think they pretty much always use both doors. The exception may be when the plane is parking overnight or otherwise not turning around for a departure.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Technically you can use a jetbridge if it goes low enough. I'm pretty sure I boarded a Q400 via jetbridge in YYC once, and I know they used the jetbridge on the ANC-FAI route before that ill-fated experiment was canceled.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Technically you can use a jetbridge if it goes low enough. I'm pretty sure I boarded a Q400 via jetbridge in YYC once, and I know they used the jetbridge on the ANC-FAI route before that ill-fated experiment was canceled.
Flown quite a bit through the years on the Q400 and the only time I remember a jet bridge was at one station where the bridge was lowered almost to the tarmac but at the end of the bridge where one would normally enter the aircraft, there were a set of stairs to the tarmac, a couple of feet to the aircraft then the usual stairs onto the aircraft.

To the OP, almost all the stations (and haven't been to them all) are either single level or there or ramps/elevators that negate the need to climb stairs.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If stairs are an issue just request a ramp. This can be requested at booking, at check in, and at the gate if you are early enough. The ramp is placed over the aircraft steps and is an easy walk up or down. They will only be used at the forward door.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:19 pm

Thanks for all your help. I'm only mildly handicapped so getting on and off the plane is not a problem. But I will have a carryon bag plus a laptop. Climbing quite a few stairs from the ramp into the terminal is what concerns me.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Disembarked via jet bridge at YYC last year (and used it at FAI when that was a Q). It was still freezing cold inside waiting for the a la Carte bags to be placed there!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:15 am

Thanks for all your help. I'm only mildly handicapped so getting on and off the plane is not a problem. But I will have a carryon bag plus a laptop. Climbing quite a few stairs from the ramp into the terminal is what concerns me.
At PDX, the Horizon gates are at ramp (ie tarmac) level; there’s not even a ramp (ie inclined plane), let alone stairs, to get to the plane. Dunno about SMF.

Several of the seats in rows 3-5 (IIRC) are handicapped seats. Elites can reserve them but get warned that they will be kicked out if they are needed at the gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.