Checking bag SEA-MVD?

Old Jan 1, 12, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Checking bag SEA-MVD?

Headed from Seattle to Montevideo next week, AS to LAX, LAN to EZE and Pluna to MVD. Will I be able to check my bag thru to MVD?
Old Jan 1, 12, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
One, two, or three tickets? Even if 3, you should be able to. Are you 100% sure your Pluna flight is from EZE and not AEP? (They serve both, just make sure.) If you leave from AEP, you have a cross-town transfer.

It is important that your bag is checked through as otherwise you'll have to claim your luggage @ EZE and the only way you can do that is to go through arrival formalities including paying the reciprocity fee.
Old Jan 1, 12, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Yep, I am sure.

Pluna now has a morning and evening flight from EZE to MVD, as well as several flts a day from AEP to MVD. Makes nice connections with flts to North America and Europe. I am on two tickets, SEA-EZE and EZE-MVD. Going AA I have checked bag thru, but not sure if AS will cooperate.
Old Jan 1, 12, 12:17 pm

Call Alaska. There is a very good chance they don't have a ticketing and baggage agreement with Pluna and can't check it through. If they don't they can only check it to the end of the line with LAN. If they don't have an agreement with Pluna, then call LAN and see if they do. You may be better off to check the bag to LAX and recheck it with LAN. Easier than doing that in Buenos. Good luck.
Old Jan 3, 12, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by COS flyer View Post
Call Alaska. There is a very good chance they don't have a ticketing and baggage agreement with Pluna and can't check it through. If they don't they can only check it to the end of the line with LAN. If they don't have an agreement with Pluna, then call LAN and see if they do. You may be better off to check the bag to LAX and recheck it with LAN. Easier than doing that in Buenos. Good luck.
More to the point if you have to grab your bag and re-check it in EZE then they will charge you the entry fee of $150. You might be able to argue your way out of the fee, claiming you didn't WANT to enter argentina in the first place. I've had friends who tried and succeeded in avoiding the entry fee that way. EZE is a mess they've half built a new terminal, which they are using while under construction, and they are also using the old crumbling one.

Do you have a direct LAX-EZE flight? Or is it a single flight number landing in Lima?
Old Jan 4, 12, 2:21 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Is it possible to not check luggage? May avoid a headache for you. However, I'd say there is a reasonable chance there is an interline agreement; I would try to find out ahead of time...that way if the agent you get on check in isn't aware, you might have better luck convincing them if you are sure. If not, as recommended previously, consider collecting your bag in LAX and re-checking it onto LAN.

If none of that works, this website, and this website seem to indicate that passengers "in transit" are not assessed the fee. This is consistent with airport departure taxes and other fees I've experienced across Latin America in similar circumstances.
Old Jan 4, 12, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If you have a 2+ hour LAX connection, the short-check of the bag to LAX is a good idea. It also may make your LAN check-in faster, as you still need to check in with them, and they will have to input all the data from your AS baggage claim check during your check-in. I've short-checked my bag to LAX several times. It is a fairly short walk for you and your luggage from T3 to TBIT check in.

The problem will arise if you have any sort of delays getting to LAX, i.e., missing the baggage cut-off time, etc. If AS accepts your bags all the way to MVD @ SEA, and anything goes wrong, your bags should eventually show up @ MVD. If your bags are late/lost getting to LAX, you are without luggage for your trip with a short-check.
Old Jan 4, 12, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is absolutely possible to transit EZE without paying the fee. I did it in August. They don't advertise it but if you have a printed copy of the itinerary showing <24 hours in transit and explain that to the agent it works great.