Wiki Posts
Search

What can you use AS miles for?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
What can you use AS miles for?

I know with United, i can book car rental and redeem gift cards etc i believe.

Can I book anything other than award flights with Alaska miles? I looked online and can't seem to find anything other than flights..

For those who know. what about Delta's Skymile program? can you use that for anything besides flight?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:41 pm

I recently used Alaska miles to purchase gift cards at points.com. It was easy and there isn't a fee to do it. I recevied the gift cards very quickly too.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by bree22
I recently used Alaska miles to purchase gift cards at points.com. It was easy and there isn't a fee to do it. I recevied the gift cards very quickly too.
What was the exchange rate? Typically its pretty high...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:16 pm
Suspended

I'm beginning to think not much. I've tried booking international travel a few months out and it's like pulling teeth. By pulling teeth, I mean a lot of people checking and finding NOTHING.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:24 am

I agree with New2japan. I have 60k plus points and have been looking to spend them but flights seem to be the only option - especially since AS dropped Amtrak
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by FreeFlight
I agree with New2japan. I have 60k plus points and have been looking to spend them but flights seem to be the only option - especially since AS dropped Amtrak
Oh that was a while ago that AMTRAK was dropped
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I used 150,000 points for a cruise on Holland America, oh, but that really was a long time ago
Or it might have been 250,000?

Last edited by ranles; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:26 am Reason: Potential error
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by new2japan
I'm beginning to think not much. I've tried booking international travel a few months out and it's like pulling teeth. By pulling teeth, I mean a lot of people checking and finding NOTHING.
The truth is you have to be flexible, very flexible. The Partner Desk is now the last good way to spend your miles, since the devaluation to $.01 per miles for AS50 Mile&Money awards. In addition, the Choice redemption level being added and limits on Super Saver Capacity mean domestic awards are nearly twice as expensive as they once were.

The last good place to spend your miles is at the partner desk. Good values are in Spring and Fall coach redemptions to Europe or South America on American (40k) and Central America (35k). Asian redemptions are also great deals if you can get them (American 50k in the winter, Delta & Cathay 60k, Korean 70k), but you probably won't get them on Delta very often. Instead try to book a trip leveraging Cathay Pacific or Korean which is actually pretty flexible outside of their restrictive blackout dates (your challenge may be in finding connecting Alaska flights at a Super Saver level).

You will often have to be patient and book either well in advance or just shortly prior to your desired departure. Also, you can do quite a bit with American and Delta awards monkeying around online. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa

As an example, I used 15,000 miles to get a $50 Barnes & Noble card. Figured it was worth it simply because I would never use the miles for travel (not enough to do anything with). At least the card was something I could use.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa

As an example, I used 15,000 miles to get a $50 Barnes & Noble card. Figured it was worth it simply because I would never use the miles for travel (not enough to do anything with). At least the card was something I could use.
Ouch- thanks for posting...but dang- those 15K are enough for a RT intra-AK...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:10 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Yes, just for the reference of anyone reading this thread in the future. Alaska does allow one way redemptions:

7.5K one-way intra state
12.5K one-way US domestic (except Hawaii)
10K - 50% discount up to $100 off most paid fares.

Since their rate structure is based on one way travel (i.e. no price advantage to book a round trip), one can often get reasonable value out of relatively small amounts of miles via one of the above means.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K
This is why it does not make a lot of sense to use the AS BoA Signature Card for anything but AS travel and, or course, the companion certificate...get a better rewards card for all other purchases.

In short, unless you have maximum flexibility and patience, only earn miles for travel, the occasional dining reward, and no-downside situations like parking or any other vendor that will give miles. But, at least for me, the days of aggregating all rewards/miles in Alaska's program are over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.