Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential for O/W partner awards?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Potential for O/W partner awards?

Is AS ever planning on joining the ranks of the airlines that allow one way partner awards? I see they've adopted DL's "new and improved" award travel mileage tiers. Might be nice if they could improve a Mileage Plan aspect that actually helps the traveler.

Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
This isn't exactly entirely in Alaska's control, is it, given that the partner must allow for the redemption?

That being said, yes, they want to do it. Wanting and being able to right NOW NOW NOW are not the same thing.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
Is AS ever planning on joining the ranks of the airlines that allow one way partner awards? I see they've adopted DL's "new and improved" award travel mileage tiers.
Alaska announced its 3-tier award structure before Delta did in July 2008. Don't blame Delta for this.

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...724_050929.asp

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=240
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This isn't exactly entirely in Alaska's control, is it, given that the partner must allow for the redemption?

That being said, yes, they want to do it. Wanting and being able to right NOW NOW NOW are not the same thing.
Well, yes, but pretty much everything has "potential" subject to the negotiation between a partner and AS, primarily "WHAT YOU GONNA PAY US FOR THE TICKET." Pretty much everything we ask for with partners (re: earning and redemption) relates to cost. BA/CX, etc. can't reach an agreement (or aren't trying, or don't care) in what it pays for AS miles when we fly them so that AS gives us EQMs. OW awards within the US, based upon current US pricing structure, isn't a big deal. However, on some international travel, a OW can be more expensive than a discounted RT.

Since we can't mix/match partners on the same ticket, the partners might see it as an end run around buying one way (higher fare) tickets. Just a thought about why the formula might be more complicated than what we see.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, yes, but pretty much everything has "potential" subject to the negotiation between a partner and AS, primarily "WHAT YOU GONNA PAY US FOR THE TICKET." Pretty much everything we ask for with partners (re: earning and redemption) relates to cost. BA/CX, etc. can't reach an agreement (or aren't trying, or don't care) in what it pays for AS miles when we fly them so that AS gives us EQMs. OW awards within the US, based upon current US pricing structure, isn't a big deal. However, on some international travel, a OW can be more expensive than a discounted RT.

Since we can't mix/match partners on the same ticket, the partners might see it as an end run around buying one way (higher fare) tickets. Just a thought about why the formula might be more complicated than what we see.
I'd think that they'd likely have better luck with AA/DL than the international partners.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'd think that they'd likely have better luck with AA/DL than the international partners.
Tenés razon @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.