Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tax on checked luggage fee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Tax on checked luggage fee

Recently flew LAX<->PVR. Checked 1 bag and was charged $20 on the outbound. Checked the same bag on the return flight and today noticed that I was charged $20.80 on my credit card. Check-in agent did not mention anything about the additional 80 cents...Alaska customer service rep explained that it's a tax on the fee. I've read that there's no additional tax on the luggage fees on outbound flights from the US...but was wondering if other travelers have run into similar situations on flights coming back to the US.

80 cents is not a big deal but it would've been much better if AS check-in agent disclosed this tax at check-in.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If there was a tax there should be a receipt with a breakdown. That amount of tax is lower % than any sort of tax I've ever heard of. Did they charge you the fee in MX$ and the conversion was a bit off?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
The extra $0.80 is likely a 4% foreign transaction charge levied by your financial institution as the charge took place in a foreign country (Mexico), even though the transaction was in United States Dollars.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
The extra $0.80 is likely a 4% foreign transaction charge levied by your financial institution as the charge took place in a foreign country (Mexico), even though the transaction was in United States Dollars.
Ding ding ding! Not sure why csr mentioned tax, probably just making up facts.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS MHT
Ding ding ding! Not sure why csr mentioned tax, probably just making up facts.
The cc fee was my first thought, but I think most CCs are now splitting off the forex CC fee as a separate entry on the statements.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The cc fee was my first thought, but I think most CCs are now splitting off the forex CC fee as a separate entry on the statements.
Online banking systems will sometimes combine charges that are referenced to each other, but will display the individual charges and fees on the monthly statement.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:27 am
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a foreign transaction charge. The charge was made in US dollars and was coded properly into the charge machine as a USD transaction. On the receipt, the charges were broken down into 2 lines: $20 and tax $0.80. I wasn't required to sign any charge slips; I was just handed a receipt with boarding passes, and the check-in agent informed me the charge is US$20 for my bag.

This is what subsequently the Alaska Air CSR wrote:

Dear xxxxxx,

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska Airlines with regard to the additional .80 on the baggage fee from Puerto Vallarta.

Our service fee is $20.00 for baggage service. The additional .80 for the baggage fee is a tax that has to be charged from Mexico.

Mr. xxxxxx, thank you very much for writing. We look forward to welcoming you aboard an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future.

Again, 80 cents is a very small amount but in my opinion, the agent must fully disclose the charges and not allow the customer to be surprised when seeing the credit card statement.

So the lesson learned here - be aware that there may be a tax on luggage fees when you travel.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:32 am
Original Poster

By the way, the credit card that I use (Bank of America) does not assess a foreign transaction fee.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by domirule
By the way, the credit card that I use (Bank of America) does not assess a foreign transaction fee.
The AS version certainly does!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
The AS version certainly does!
Yes it does. I also carry the British Airways Visa (through Chase) strictly for use on international travel as they do not charge a foreign transaction fee.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:23 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Are you sure? Mine sure does!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Mine sure does.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
Mine sure does.
Banks have different products. My UA Chase does. My PC Chase does not.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Banks have different products. My UA Chase does. My PC Chase does not.
My AMX doesn't either.........but since the comment was about a BofA card...my BofA card sure does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.