Search

Adults up front, kids in the back ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Adults up front, kids in the back ?

Does Alaska have a policy on this ?

I'm considering flights to HNL that are showing U2, and will have kids aged 13, 13, and 10 with us. They actually want to fly together in the back with us up front.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by dgwright99

I'm considering flights to HNL that are showing U2, and will have kids aged 13, 13, and 10 with us. They actually want to fly together in the back with us up front.
I am sure you can do this. Will your fellow passengers thank you for it? Only you know your kids well enough to answer that.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

No policy, no problem, unless something has changed recently. See this thread(especially Missy's posts):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...+coach+parents
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I am sure you can do this. Will your fellow passengers thank you for it? Only you know your kids well enough to answer that.
Doc is right. It is a pet peeve of mine to have children back & forth incessantly, bugging their parents or wanting to sit with them up in FC for whatever reason.
Please, if you do this, impress upon your children the need to behave and be comfortable with six hours in the air and the prospect for some bumps along the way being a part of the flying experience, not an excuse to come up and want to sit with Mommy.

also...since we are on the subject of children. My Mother, who is elderly, not infirm but clearly troubled to be jumping up and down on an airplane had the misfortune of sitting on the aisle with two young teenagers who thought it was great sport to bounce up to visit the head everytime the seat belt sign went off. Try and disabuse your children of such behavior.

I would also suggest sitting them all in the same row. That way if there is a behavior issue one of you could exchange seats and try and sort out their anxieties with the flight and/or each other.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Personally, I believe it should be a FAA/DOT requirement that parents remain in the same cabin as their minor children.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
on my BA flight this spring, a similar family did the same thing. Unfortunately I got stuck in front of the children
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No policy, no problem, unless something has changed recently. See this thread(especially Missy's posts):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...+coach+parents
Thanks for the link - that's exactly what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by jmw2323
on my BA flight this spring, a similar family did the same thing. Unfortunately I got stuck in front of the children
'm sorry that you had the misfortune to experience kids who can't behave.

Mine will sit and read for 5 hours.

From the sound of it, not a "similar" family it all.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Personally, I believe it should be a FAA/DOT requirement that parents remain in the same cabin as their minor children.
So, by the same logic, presumably you'd also ban UMs ?

Last edited by dgwright99; Sep 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

'm sorry that you had the misfortune to experience kids who can't behave.

Howver, it's grossly insulting to insuinuate to people whom you have never met that they kids are brats. Yours may be. Mine aren't.

Based on this response, I wonder.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:09 pm

So, by the same logic, presumably you'd also ban UMs ?
Apples and oranges. UM's are under the supervision of the airline.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Hi dgwright99, don't listen to the nay-sayers. I did this last March when I took the family to Hawaii. My wife and I sat in FC while my three boys (ages 14, 12 & 10) sat in row 6. They are well behaved and either read, played their video games or watched the digi-player. It was me who came back occasionally to make sure everything was OK and it was.

You know your kids and how they will handle being away from their parents. If you think it will work then go for it.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
You should be flying Delta.

The Unaccompanied Minor Program is required for all children 5-14 years old when not traveling in the same compartment with an adult at least 18 years old or the child's parent/legal guardian.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

The Unaccompanied Minor Program is required for all children 5-14 years old when not traveling in the same compartment with an adult at least 18 years old or the child's parent/legal guardian.
Good to know that the child's parent/legal guardian doesn't have to be an adult at least 18 years old!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I would sit row 4 and place them in 6 (if available). I've had separate reservations several times and have called in to have the 2nd res seats changed.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by erikatcuse
I would sit row 4 and place them in 6 (if available). I've had separate reservations several times and have called in to have the 2nd res seats changed.
We've done this on a trip to Mexico and Hawaii. I concur that the best arrangement is the kids in 6, and the parents in 4. Based on some .......s I've had the displeasure of sitting near, my kids are much better flyers by far.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

That's actually worse. For an extra fee parents can throw the burden of child care onto the FA's while they sit up front in comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.