Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Restrictions to BR Access: all members/guests/partner members must have ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Restrictions to BR Access: all members/guests/partner members must have ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

So, if I'm flying VX from LAX or SEA I'm not welcome? AS doesn't want the PP $ for the entry? AS makes more $ from PP entries than from a BR membership in some cases. More South of Expected, but it probably doesn't affect too many of us too often. Yet, it is another little chip chip chip. Has there been a single bit of good news as of late? Seriously. It isn't going to get me to renew my BR membership - If I'm on AS, I can still get in. But I've actually given the BR concierge my PP card when I'm entitled to a free entry (i.e, paid F) just so AS can make a few extra dollars on my visit. No more. They don't want my $ when I'm flying another carrier but want to visit the BR? They don't want employees (of AS or another carrier) flying SA to be able to visit the lounge (and get paid by PP for the visit)?

South of Expected.

Anchorage (ANC)/Los Angeles(LAX)/Portland(PDX)/Seattle(SEA)/San Francisco(SFO)
ALASKA AIRLINES BOARD ROOMS

September 15, 2011

Alaska Airlines Board Rooms in Anchorage (ANC), Los Angeles(LAX), Portland(PDX), Seattle(SEA) and San Francisco(SFO) have new entry conditions effective 01 October 2011:-

All Cardholders and guests are required to show a Boarding Pass with confirmed same-day travel for access to the Lounge - Passengers traveling non-revenue are not eligible for access
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
The info doesn't seem to be posted on the PP website yet.

I wonder if it was a very recent decision by AS to make this change. I agree that it sucks, but it seems to match the policies of several other US airlines.

This also chips away at the value of the PP card.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
South of Expected.
Agree. When meeting friends with PP or partner lounge memberships in the BR, I always suggest they use their own credentials so as to help the BR make a few extra bucks in revenue. You'd think AS would be appreciative. If anything, PP should be the one complaining about having to pay too much to AS for PP cardholders visiting the BR.

It's certainly not as though this is the difference between a crowded and open BR, so I can't fathom what the reason for this change is.

Have you written AS Customer Care yet? I'm curious to see how they weasel out of this one...
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just how much does the AS BR get in compensation for a PP visit?

It may make fiduciary sense, especially if the crowds are getting too crowded due to excessive PP use

Although with your case they do make a bit extra but its kinda rare.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
It may make fiduciary sense, especially if the crowds are getting too crowded
As I mentioned above:

Originally Posted by jackal
It's certainly not as though this is the difference between a crowded and open BR
I would be surprised if more than one or two PP cardholders a day come into the BR without a boarding pass*, even in SEA. Who on earth except for a couple of crazy folks on FT would bother to trek all the way out to the airport just to visit a lounge on a day they're not traveling. That's certainly not enough to cause crowding in the airport.

*The verbiage doesn't seem to specify that one needs to show an AS boarding pass, just "a Boarding Pass with confirmed same-day travel." Thus, this policy change really will only affect those who visit the BR who are not traveling, unless the verbiage as posted on the AS site is intended to mean "an Alaska Airlines boarding pass," in which case it is ambiguous and needs to be clarified.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
The info doesn't seem to be posted on the PP website yet.

I wonder if it was a very recent decision by AS to make this change. I agree that it sucks, but it seems to match the policies of several other US airlines.

This also chips away at the value of the PP card.
I see it listed with the description of each Board Room:

Airport: Portland (OR) - International (PDX), Concourse C

Lounge: ALASKA AIRLINES BOARD ROOM
Location: Airside - the Lounge is located across from Gate C5.

Opening Hours: 05:00 - 21:00 daily.

Conditions: All Cardholders and guests are required to show a Boarding Pass with confirmed same-day travel for access to the Lounge - Passengers traveling non-revenue are not eligible for access - Cardholder must be 21 years of age or older - Access may be restricted due to space constraints - Alcoholic drinks are limited to three per person - Non-smoking.

Additional Information: Conference facilities are subject to payment.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
I see it listed with the description of each Board Room:
Yeah, you're right, apparently I forgot how to read last night. My brain was looking for the Oct 1 date, didn't see it, and assumed nothing was different.

Also, I missed the part that jackal caught, which was that it was ANY boarding pass, not specifically an AS one.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
"All Cardholders and guests are required to show a Boarding Pass with confirmed same-day travel for access to the Lounge"

Can someone confirm if this policy will affect people who are not traveling but want to go visit the BR anyway? I haven't done it in a while, but the last time I did, I was given a boarding pass that, IIRC, was for standby travel.

Hopefully this is just a PP thing, and not applicable to BR members.

If this latest action precludes non-confirmed travelers from visiting the BR, it's a BIG !! I'm hoping it doesn't.

Last edited by dave1013; Sep 17, 2011 at 9:48 am
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, you're right, apparently I forgot how to read last night. My brain was looking for the Oct 1 date, didn't see it, and assumed nothing was different.

Also, I missed the part that jackal caught, which was that it was ANY boarding pass, not specifically an AS one.
Well, I find it vague. I know how it technically reads but I am not confident that this isn't an oversight, or won't be misinterpreted by BR staff.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:47 pm

Oh no...!

"All Cardholders and guests are required to show a Boarding Pass with confirmed same-day travel for access to the Lounge"

How will Beckoa get his soup?!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, I find it vague. I know how it technically reads but I am not confident that this isn't an oversight, or won't be misinterpreted by BR staff.
What was the original source for the message you posted? Was it in a BR, or was it from the PP website?

PP's website mentions in several places that you have lounge access regardless of the airline you're flying. Seems like they should be the ones telling their customers that things are changing.

I'd swear that there were some other airlines that also limited access only to PP cardholders that were flying on that same airline. Can't recall where I saw that now (in the printed membership materials or online; either way, I can't find the source).

Edit: Found it. It's the standard airline club access that the AMEX Platinum offers. With that one, except on USAir, you need to have a ticket with that same airline.

Last edited by OverThereTooMuch; Sep 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What was the original source for the message you posted? Was it in a BR, or was it from the PP website?
The PP Website
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Wow, what a bunch of BS. I was looking forward to my Priority Pass membership for BR access in Seattle before my many flights. Very crappy of AS to have an agreement in place with Priority Pass for all card holders to have access regardless of carrier and then cut the heck of its value. Guess now I can only use it on my flights that start on a AS flight to LAX/SFO. Even more reason to move away from AS and focus on AA.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by United757
Oh no...!

How will Beckoa get his soup?!
Refundable ticket?

But AFAIK its only for some PP folks... and its still ambiguous from what I can see...
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:55 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

I noticed that right away as well. Its not quite clear if it must be an AS boarding pass or from any airline with that day of travel. What made it more confusing is that it then goes on to say non rev doesnt get access. And if you are on VX you are a non rev for AS :/ The writing is foggy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.