Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA to end PDX-OGG Route in Jan?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
HA to end PDX-OGG Route in Jan?

Just heard that Hawaiian will end their PDX-OGG. Route in January
Coinciding with their OAK and SJC Service to OGG in January ?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Tony10s
Just heard that Hawaiian will end their PDX-OGG. Route in January
Coinciding with their OAK and SJC Service to OGG in January ?
Too funny

Well guess HA is entrenching itself in the bay area
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Not a specific time on Alaska forum. I think its belonging to Airline of Hawaii Forum.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by N830MH
I think its belonging to Airline of Hawaii Forum.
Based on frequency and the variety of city pairs, I think Alaska Airlines is the "Airline of Hawaii".

^
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by N830MH
Not a specific time on Alaska forum. I think its belonging to Airline of Hawaii Forum.
Well AS is an airline of Hawaii considering its lift to/from Hawaii
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well AS is an airline of Hawaii considering its lift to/from Hawaii
For an airline named Alaska, it sure has a crush on Hawaii. (from an AS advertisement).

While I like the names "See Inset Airways" and "Non-Continental Airlines (albeit based in SEA)," the friendly Eskimo wearing a lei needs to remain an important part of the official livery.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Give it time and now there is no competition Alaska will jack the fares up big time. Watch and you will see.....We needed Hawaiian, but we're losing way too many seats for the market and that will force the price up big time.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Give it time and now there is no competition Alaska will jack the fares up big time. Watch and you will see.....We needed Hawaiian, but we're losing way too many seats for the market and that will force the price up big time.
+1

Monopolies are never a good thing. I prefer HA's metal anyway.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Based on frequency and the variety of city pairs, I think Alaska Airlines is the "Airline of Hawaii".

^
No, it's actually named the airline of Hawaii is HA, Go!, Island Air and few other, too.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Do you think you might be overreacting a bit?

Most of AS' Hawaii markets have no non-stop competition, yet the fares aren't that much higher than connecting service. I mean, HA will still be offering fares in the PDX-OGG market even if they don't have non-stop service.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
Do you think you might be overreacting a bit?

Most of AS' Hawaii markets have no non-stop competition, yet the fares aren't that much higher than connecting service. I mean, HA will still be offering fares in the PDX-OGG market even if they don't have non-stop service.
Huh? No most of the markets have competition. The Bay Area flights compete with quite a few competitors in the Bay Area, maybe it's diifferent airports, but those flights are in competition.

San Diego flights do consider LA area flights to be competiton as well.

Look at SEA-MCO, PDX-BOS, SEA-DCA; tell me that Alaska's fares are not out of this world?

Remove 2/3 of daily seats and tell me fares won't rise? They already have!!!! Yes there are a few sales during the lowest non-peak times, but they are already rising...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:54 am
Suspended

Huh? No most of the markets have competition. The Bay Area flights compete with quite a few competitors in the Bay Area, maybe it's diifferent airports, but those flights are in competition.

San Diego flights do consider LA area flights to be competiton as well.

Look at SEA-MCO, PDX-BOS, SEA-DCA; tell me that Alaska's fares are not out of this world?

Remove 2/3 of daily seats and tell me fares won't rise? They already have!!!! Yes there are a few sales during the lowest non-peak times, but they are already rising...
If you consider LAX to be competition for SAN, than SEA is competition for PDX.

And no, AS published fares in its lower 48 markets are generally not "out of this world." It is not unusual for non-stops to carry a premium over connections and it is certainly not unexpected for AS' lower fare buckets to be sold out before bottom feeders like F9 and FL.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
If you consider LAX to be competition for SAN, than SEA is competition for PDX.

And no, AS published fares in its lower 48 markets are generally not "out of this world." It is not unusual for non-stops to carry a premium over connections and it is certainly not unexpected for AS' lower fare buckets to be sold out before bottom feeders like F9 and FL.
SEA is not really competition for PDX, to some extent.

LAX is competition for SAN. It's different thoughts on driving and commuting. Portlanders do not drive 3 hrs plus for a flight on a regular basis.

Spending some of my childhood and adult life in San Diego before coming back to Oregon, it was not unusual for folks in San Diego to go to LAX for better flights and connections. If you choose to fly at a non-peak time you can make it from north san diego to LAX in less than 2 hrs. Of course, if you choose to fly at a peak time, forget it and those non-peak times are fewer and fewer these days. You do have to time it right. The commuter flights also run continuously from San Diego to LAX as well.

AS published fares are significantly higher from PDX. The premium on non-stops is irrelevant, none of these trips are non-stops from PDX anyway, change in Seattle or Dallas or wherever. Just a random October Monday and Friday RT:

PDX-DCA Alaska - $491, Frontier $378, American $358, US Air $359
PDX-MIA Alaska - $410, Delta/American - $360
PDX-LIH Alaska - $712, Hawaiian - $530, Delta - $677, AA - $678,
PDX-EWR Alaska - $550, US Air - $470, Co (non-stop) - $499, AA - $517, Delta - $520

There is a premium for flying Alaska on many routes when you compare apples to apples - 1 stop v. 1 stop. Call it what you want, but there is. Maybe Alaska has folks that will pay it and they do. I have sometimes, but it's really hard to justify flying north to seattle when you fly to the east coast and change somewhere else.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:17 am
Suspended

SEA is not really competition for PDX, to some extent.

LAX is competition for SAN. It's different thoughts on driving and commuting. Portlanders do not drive 3 hrs plus for a flight on a regular basis.

Spending some of my childhood and adult life in San Diego before coming back to Oregon, it was not unusual for folks in San Diego to go to LAX for better flights and connections. If you choose to fly at a non-peak time you can make it from north san diego to LAX in less than 2 hrs. Of course, if you choose to fly at a peak time, forget it and those non-peak times are fewer and fewer these days. You do have to time it right. The commuter flights also run continuously from San Diego to LAX as well.
You could pick a few random places to support your point, but in general, SEA is to PDX and LAX is to SAN.

AS published fares are significantly higher from PDX. The premium on non-stops is irrelevant, none of these trips are non-stops from PDX anyway, change in Seattle or Dallas or wherever. Just a random October Monday and Friday RT:

PDX-DCA Alaska - $491, Frontier $378, American $358, US Air $359
PDX-MIA Alaska - $410, Delta/American - $360
PDX-LIH Alaska - $712, Hawaiian - $530, Delta - $677, AA - $678,
PDX-EWR Alaska - $550, US Air - $470, Co (non-stop) - $499, AA - $517, Delta - $520

There is a premium for flying Alaska on many routes when you compare apples to apples - 1 stop v. 1 stop. Call it what you want, but there is. Maybe Alaska has folks that will pay it and they do. I have sometimes, but it's really hard to justify flying north to seattle when you fly to the east coast and change somewhere else.
What exactly are you trying to say? That AS is bad for charging more than the competition, or that people in PDX are stupid for paying the higher prices?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG
And the "PDX Premium" dilutes the value of using the $99 companion cert compared to two coach seats on another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.