Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How do I search for AA rewards using AS miles?

How do I search for AA rewards using AS miles?

Old Sep 20, 11, 12:14 pm

Ok, I figured out my problem, I wasn't searching for 2 people! There is one 12.5K seat on the 7th.
Old Sep 21, 11, 5:08 pm

Being a masochist, I called again today. They could get the four of us to/from Paris on Air France on the exact days we want - but from Dulles, not from Seattle. I said "could we fly on an award ticket to National and get ground transport to Dulles on our own." There's enough time to make that work, at least on the 14th. Staying over night on the 7th would be fine. But no, the award seats for Seattle to National are not available and they are not likely to release any more frequent flier seats, quote "those flights to DC are always full". The 4 of us would have to get to DC on our own.

Last edited by seattletravelmember; Sep 21, 11 at 5:09 pm Reason: changed I to we / the four of us.
Old Sep 22, 11, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by seattletravelmember View Post
Being a masochist, I called again today. They could get the four of us to/from Paris on Air France on the exact days we want - but from Dulles, not from Seattle. I said "could we fly on an award ticket to National and get ground transport to Dulles on our own." There's enough time to make that work, at least on the 14th. Staying over night on the 7th would be fine. But no, the award seats for Seattle to National are not available and they are not likely to release any more frequent flier seats, quote "those flights to DC are always full". The 4 of us would have to get to DC on our own.
DCA is always full... small chance of availability on LAX-DCA, but rather small, especially in the summer.
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, Alaska Airlines
Just an idea

Seattletravelmember, have you tried looking at flights into YVR? It's not that hard or $$$ to get to Seattle from there using bus or train.
Old Sep 22, 11, 5:13 pm

WOW, sorry, I must have skimmed over that you were looking for FOUR award tickets! That can be one heck of a challenge! But, I did some poking around while bored at work today, and might have found you something:

7/6
LHR-ORD AA99
ORD-PHX AA593
PHX-SEA AS637

Get's you into Seattle at 10:10PM, and all seem to have 4 seats available!
Old Oct 17, 11, 12:45 pm

Smile how things finally turned out

Thanks to the Sapphire Card and the Continental credit card sign up offers, plus 19K in miles transferred from my parents' continental account, plus being able to link and transfer miles between United and Continental, we were able to book a flight over on Lufthansa. All I can say is thank goodness for the Star Alliance. They really came through. It was quite interesting to realize the Continental online system for award travel is better than United's, and also that I ultimately had to call a rep to get the Seattle - Frankfurt non stop, as it was not listed in the Continental system. I guess the lesson is that phone reps and the online system available to us are not always the same.

That's also true for American miles as well. Their reps were quite good and gave us insights about partners not available online. Our return in on Air Tahiti from CDG to LAX, then on to Seattle on Alaska. This flight uses American miles, which I had previously assembled on other credit card offers.

Hopefully some day Alaska (and Delta) will have one way award tickets. I don't like to think how much it cost the airlines for me to call every single morning between Aug 13 and Oct 10 and ask 'are there any American award seats available on July 7 or 8 from Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Zurich or London? We are seriously wondering whether the close to half million Alaska miles the 4 of us have are going to ever be any good at getting us an overseas ticket. Maybe we'll use them for Iceland or Alaska itself. After my experiences this time, I have zero confidence I'd ever be able to get a round trip on Alaska or Delta or KLM or Air France in the summer using Alaska miles.

To change the subject:

There was a mention of Vancouver in a post above. Both it and Portland are gateways people from Seattle can / do consider. There are three options: train, the Quick Shuttle or plane (Alaska, Air Canada) going to Vancouver. With the border crossing, it is essentially an extra half day for train or bus. Portland is a lot faster, but unfortunately there's no longer a Super Shuttle bus to Portland, and the Amtrak train is nowhere near PDX.

Well, thanks everyone for your comments and happy travels!

Last edited by seattletravelmember; Oct 17, 11 at 12:47 pm Reason: one more thought about American
Old Oct 17, 11, 10:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP/Gold

There was a mention of Vancouver in a post above. Both it and Portland are gateways people from Seattle can / do consider. There are three options: train, the Quick Shuttle or plane (Alaska, Air Canada) going to Vancouver. With the border crossing, it is essentially an extra half day for train or bus. Portland is a lot faster, but unfortunately there's no longer a Super Shuttle bus to Portland, and the Amtrak train is nowhere near PDX.

Well, thanks everyone for your comments and happy travels!
The only trouble with that is the only nonstop to anywhere in Europe from. Portland now is PDX/AMS once daily flight on NWA (er, in mean DL). The Lufthansa flight is no more. So the DL flight fills up, in the summer they use an A330-200 ( not 300) and its always fill, and in winter a very old 767 so it too is full a lot. I have found it easier to go PDX/JFK on DL and connect from there, or via MSP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: