Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AF award ticket SEA-CDG: Which departure City?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:12 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Trying to go SEA-CDG next year on an AF award ticket in Affaires using AS miles.

The inventory for AF award seats SEA-CDG on the non-stop has all but dried up. Occasionally you may see one seat 330 days out. ( I need 2) My alternatives are:

LAX ( good inventory)
SFO ( also hard to come by)
ORD (good inventory)

I have time to hunt for the the SEA-CDG nonstop...but if that doesn't materialize is there a preference as to which city I should book based also on what AS first saver awards I can get to the departing city.AS Saver award inventory has also dried up and not as easy to get as it use to be.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:03 pm

If it were me, I'd try for AF out of ORD (just closer to the ultimate destination).

As far as the flight to the departing city (ORD), someone correct me if I'm wrong, but your award ticket will get you there in first on AS.

We redeemed award tickets on BA from Seattle to Venice a few years ago. We had to go to Boston to get on the BA flight, but were put on AS from SEA to BOS in first as part of the award.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by redcupr
... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but your award ticket will get you there in first on AS.
I thought there still had to be space available in the right bucket (A, for a first class award, isn't it?) on the flight that you want.

So, there's gotta be some convergence on both airlines for an award --- in AS, to get you to the gateway city, and on the partner airline, to get you where you want to go on the award ticket.

That can be difficult to do nowadays.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
since AS has the most flights SEA-LAX, thats where you're likely going to find the best F award availability
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:45 pm

SEA-CDG Award

I just redeemed a SEA-SLC-CDG and CDG-MSP-SEA first/business class for 90,000 miles each ticket (2 people) traveling on Delta. I think I saw some on American that went through ORD or DFW. Good luck.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

To help adjust my sleep schedule when flying Eastbound to Europe, I try to take flights that are at least 9+ hours in length so I can get at least several hours of decent sleep.

So, I would take LAX or SFO and avoid ORD. Also connecting in LAX won't be too bad, because AS and AF's terminals are right next to each other and it is a pretty easy walk.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
Also of note, I believe AF is dropping ORD for the winter months this year. It's being replaced by a DL 767. That's a very different hard product in business than AF. It would only be 90K miles, though.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska Air
If traveling in the summer months, I'd go for the A380 out of SFO, assuming they use it again next summer.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5114976/
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I would ticket wherever you can get avail. I am not a fan of the 777 in affaires because of the middle seat possibility when booking late in the process. Also, delays lack excitement for me. Have you tried HOU or IAD, daily HOU flights and three flights a day out of IAD, assuming you either want a day in DC or can transfer between DCA and IAD comfortably.

Expert flyer is your friend here.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
try for nonstops on the west coast

I just did this in July w/my family of 4. We flew first class to Chicago from our home in Portland and then the non-stop to Paris in Affaires. Having a 5 hour layover on the way home was a drag. Then having a 4 + hour flight sucked.

That's why if you have a flight from SFO or LAX, you are that much closer to home.

my 2 cents
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Set ExpertFlyer alerts for the SEA-CDG non-stop, if routine checking of availability on www.airfrance.us is too much.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Transferring international to domestic at ORD was a bit of a pain in my experience, I would go for LAX or SFO given the opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.