Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOR: US Airways to acquire Alaska Airlines

Old Jul 19, 11, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat

Long and growing thread at airliners.net (based on an article that was later retracted by editor) that US Airways is in talks to acquire Alaska.

The source is questionable, but rather interesting that neither airline has denied the rumor.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5204497/

Last edited by FightingIlliniUAL; Jul 19, 11 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 19, 11, 8:32 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The article has been retracted by the sole publication that published it.

It's also not really interesting that neither airline has denied the rumor. If companies routinely denied rumors that weren't true, then they would be effectively confirming rumors that were true by responding "No comment."

Nothing to pay attention to here, move along folks.
Old Jul 19, 11, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
US CEO has recently been quoted as saying that they could not be profitable if they merged together. See below blog post and quoted article.

Alaska Airlines flying profitably with no interest for merger or buyout
Old Jul 19, 11, 10:03 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL View Post
Long and growing thread at airliners.net (based on an article that was later retracted by editor) that US Airways is in talks to acquire Alaska.
ALK market cap = $2.34B
LCC market cap = $1.11B

Just how do you propose that US Airways is going to pay for Alaska Airlines?

I'm going to go out on a limb and start another rumor: a lot of stuff posted on the Internet is not true.
Old Jul 19, 11, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yet another bit of mindless speculation to come from
airliners.net

And all the more reason I'm glad I figured out it wasn't worth paying money to post with a bunch of teenage armchair CEO's over there.
Old Jul 19, 11, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jwright View Post
ALK market cap = $2.34B
LCC market cap = $1.11B

Just how do you propose that US Airways is going to pay for Alaska Airlines?
One doesn't necessarily have to buy the other. They can propose a merger and acquire through an stock transaction.
Old Jul 19, 11, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

This idea is just disgusting
Old Jul 19, 11, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Yet another bit of mindless speculation to come from airliners.net. And all the more reason I'm glad I figured out it wasn't worth paying money to post with a bunch of teenage armchair CEO's over there.
How true, how true... I discovered A.net as an adult and quickly came to the conclusion that aside from pictures, it had nothing to offer me. It's a nice enough place for the kids to play, but once they've grown up and begun to acquire some serious travel and life experience, I should imagine that continuing to hang out there becomes increasingly tedious.

Alaska was the most profitable airline in the U.S. last year. They already enjoy a strong reputation for service and their award winning frequent flyer program. They look to be on the right track to continued profitability all by themselves without any "help" from US Airways.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 19, 11 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 19, 11, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
That way they could have an airliine with 3 separate pilot contracts.
Old Jul 19, 11, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I remember when US Air bought and effectively dismantled PSA in the late 1980s. One can only imagine what they would do with Alaska.
Old Jul 19, 11, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Yet another bit of mindless speculation to come from
airliners.net
Gosh!! Not another rumors yet again!!! AS is an independent airline and US/AS does not wants to be merger at all. We want to keep Alaska My Alaska!!! ^^^
Old Jul 19, 11, 12:41 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk View Post
I remember when US Air bought and effectively dismantled PSA in the late 1980s. One can only imagine what they would do with Alaska.
Those of us who flew PSA will never forget. I haven't set foot on a USAir plane since 1987, and I flat out refuse to even consider flying them. I'd rather take a bus. It's a disgrace to the PSA name for an airline that flies nowhere near the Pacific Southwest to use that name now.
Old Jul 19, 11, 12:56 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Har Har...

'nuff said...
Old Jul 19, 11, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Har Har...

'nuff said...
Welcome back golfingboy
Old Jul 19, 11, 3:51 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by jwright View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and start another rumor: a lot of stuff posted on the Internet is not true.
^ +1

There have been many rumors about AS merging or being bought out over the past few years. None of them really had any credibility, so I really really doubt that this one does either.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: