Southwest Sale --- Is Alaska Matching?

Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
More people should. Then they might realize WN isn't quite the nastiness it's perceived to be.
Well, the TV show "Airline" did them no favors. Most of the time it put them in a bad light. I've never flown WN and have no plans to in the future, but they must be doing something right to be the size they are and have a profitability record that no other airline can even dream of, including AS.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by shand32783
SEA LAS / LAS SEA flights $80 on Southwest for the days I'm looking at on all flights...

AS has one flight the whole day for $80...Guess which one. The last flight of the day. others are $157...Really??? I was paying that a couple years ago R/T

I hated to, but had to book on SWA. Nervous as this is my first time on Southwest, but over $100 difference AND free bag. Must be wise.

Now I'll only shoot myself if AS gets off their hands and really matches the $80.
You can always cancel your WN reservations and have up to a year to reuse the funds. Make sure to pay tohe extra $20 r/t for early bird check-in and have a wonderful trip. WN to Vegas -- it's sure to be a PARTY!!!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
Guess I spoke too soon, a late add from AS...SEA-GEG and PDX-GEG are now $40. You can combine that with the beyond fares, so GEG-LAS and GEG-SFO are now $120. It looks like GEG-PHX was added for $80 as well.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Meteorologist
Guess I spoke too soon, a late add from AS...SEA-GEG and PDX-GEG are now $40. You can combine that with the beyond fares, so GEG-LAS and GEG-SFO are now $120. It looks like GEG-PHX was added for $80 as well.
GEG-LAS is on DL for $80 each way.

GEG-OAK is on AS for $80 each way (and I made it 3 segments in each direction for an extra couple of bucks).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sales from OAK to PDX never help me as I always fly on Fridays and Sundays when they charge more money. It's a trade off between saving money on airfare vs paying more money for a hotel room and taking extra time off from work. I wish AS still flew 737's on that route so I could at least fly more comfortably. As it is now, WN has a better flight schedule than QX.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:55 am

Now it's official:
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...res-to-go.aspx
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
It would be nice if they came up with something decent for the AK based customers.......
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by BOB W
It would be nice if they came up with something decent for the AK based customers.......
Well, since it's driven by competition from the WN 40th Anniversary Sale, you just need WN to come into Alaska and you'll be all set.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Well, since it's driven by competition from the WN 40th Anniversary Sale, you just need WN to come into Alaska and you'll be all set.
We've already seen it a bit with B6.

In the last three weeks, we've seen three separate AS fare sales on ANC-LAX: $138ow, $108ow (with availability every day through EOS--most likely a mistake ), and $158ow. Those are darn good fares to SoCal, and yes, I know several people who scooped up tickets at those fares (many of which are flights they otherwise wouldn't have taken).

If WN ends up coming up here (and B6 decides to stay year-round), I'm excited for what that will do to fares here!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by dgreen12
We've already seen it a bit with B6.

In the last three weeks, we've seen three separate AS fare sales on ANC-LAX: $138ow, $108ow (with availability every day through EOS--most likely a mistake ), and $158ow. Those are darn good fares to SoCal, and yes, I know several people who scooped up tickets at those fares (many of which are flights they otherwise wouldn't have taken).

If WN ends up coming up here (and B6 decides to stay year-round), I'm excited for what that will do to fares here!
AS would see its margin decrease however

But I do like flying to SEA for $350 even if it requires a stop in LGB
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
AS would see its margin decrease however
No matter how much you may love a company, just remember that it is a soulless corporation that only acts like it loves you back in order to increase its profits. The moment it becomes more profitable for the company to not love you back, it will cease to remember all of the love you gave it.

Ergo, while I am happy to see AS succeed, it will not be happening at my expense. When it comes to for-profit corporations, I'm looking out for #1 first. And you'd better be looking out, too, for #1 (yes, beckoa, that is yourself) first.

Though if you really feel guilty about someday booking a WN-beater fare of $200rt for ANC-SEA, I'm sure you can write a check to Missy for the difference and she'll be happy to take it. Call it the Cheap-AS-Fare-Guilt-Reduction Fund, whose principal will be used to pay the ancillary expenses incurred as an offshoot of the Missy-CX-F Fund.

Or just ignore the $200 Best Deal fare and book a Value fare. Side benefit: instant upgrade.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
No matter how much you may love a company, just remember that it is a soulless corporation that only acts like it loves you back in order to increase its profits. The moment it becomes more profitable for the company to not love you back, it will cease to remember all of the love you gave it.

Ergo, while I am happy to see AS succeed, it will not be happening at my expense. When it comes to for-profit corporations, I'm looking out for #1 first. And you'd better be looking out, too, for #1 (yes, beckoa, that is yourself) first.

Though if you really feel guilty about someday booking a WN-beater fare of $200rt for ANC-SEA, I'm sure you can write a check to Missy for the difference and she'll be happy to take it. Call it the Cheap-AS-Fare-Guilt-Reduction Fund, whose principal will be used to pay the ancillary expenses incurred as an offshoot of the Missy-CX-F Fund.

Or just ignore the $200 Best Deal fare and book a Value fare. Side benefit: instant upgrade.
As I like to say, I'm the CEO, CFO, CIO,COO of my own company. I am loyal to those who provide me good service but when that service is below my standards, I will move on to someone who WILL provide me good service. AAG has provided me good service over the years and I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they burn me. I will give them a chance to rectify any problems I have with them. The nearby tire store was given a 2nd chance to correct their mistake and failed. They will not receive any of my future business.

BTW, AS matched WN prices during their 25th anniversary. I flew OAK-PDX for $56 R/t.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.