Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Earning Mileage on companion fare - both pax?

Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver

Apologies if this has been asked before, but when using the AS companion cert, I know that the terms say it is eligible to earn miles, but are both pax mileage accounts credited? I seem to remember using one years ago and only one person was credited mileage.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Dan
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by AKDan
Apologies if this has been asked before, but when using the AS companion cert, I know that the terms say it is eligible to earn miles, but are both pax mileage accounts credited? I seem to remember using one years ago and only one person was credited mileage.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Dan
Yes, both accounts are credited. Wife and I went back east on a F companion ticket late last year. We both got the miles, including the 50% first class supplement.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
That companion ticket is a real deal especially if you fly first class. Wife and I flew from Anchorage to Boston last summer and the F fare was about $500.00 more than the Y fare with restrictions. By both flying F class using the companion ticket, we each got enough miles to require only one more trip to visit family in SoCalifornia and Arizona to qualify for MVP.

Doing a similar trip this year. I hope this perk is never devalued like the AS 50 award mentioned in another thread has been.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:14 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
I hope this perk is never devalued like the AS 50 award mentioned in another thread has been.
The most recent devaluation occurred in late 2009 when the price of the companion fare went from $50 to $99.

I've always said if you want to see what AS will look like in 5 years, just look at the legacies now. DL has a $99 companion fare with their Gold AmEx, but it's only good for coach fares and seats, and worse, it must come out of their L, U, T (=cheapest) fare buckets. DL also only awards miles for the purchaser, not the companion, and they don't allow upgrades. Expect AS to get closer to this model rather than farther. My guess is the first move would restrict companion fares to coach seats only.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by baliktad
My guess is the first move would restrict companion fares to coach seats only.
Well in that case, I'm going to be proactive and buy black armbands for Mrs. dave1013 and me so we can don them when this unfortunate day arrives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.