Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list not clearing automatically / same day paid upgrades getting priority

Upgrade list not clearing automatically / same day paid upgrades getting priority

Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
I'm not sure how that would affect things if free upgrades were only given away at the gate or just before the flight...or what that would do to frequent flyer behaviors. I can say that it would definitely eliminate the line jumping behavior that AS seems to continue to allow to happen. If they waited, the highest elites would get the free upgrades they deserved...
Indeed. Elites that book within a day or two of flight (and end up paying full Y) would then be treated better than they are now, when by the time they book F is already full of lower elites on lower fares.

I, too, wonder if it would be an ultimately fairer system to process all upgrades shortly before the flight. If I'm a 75K, it doesn't matter to me that I'm #2 on the waitlist and get my upgrade confirmed 5 days before flight or #2 on the waitlist and get my upgrade confirmed on the day of departure--I'm still #2 on the waitlist and get my upgrade.

It's nice to know about an upgrade a bit before the flight--say, about 4 hours--so I can make appropriate arrangements for food (grab something in the airport if I don't get my upgrade) and checked baggage (might check my bags if I'm stuck in coach so I don't have to fight for space, plus the bags will probably be there by the time I get off the plane, whereas in F I want to just grab my bag and go and not have to wait at baggage claim). But beyond about 4 hours before flight, there's no real reason to know I'm in F other than as an anxiety-reduction aid.

However, if AS were to switch to a system like that, they might lose ground to other airlines who still do the advanced-upgrade processing, so I don't know that they'd ever do that. And I do like knowing that I'll be in F 5 days out, so I'm not complaining about the current system!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:34 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by jackal
Indeed. Elites that book within a day or two of flight (and end up paying full Y) would then be treated better than they are now, when by the time they book F is already full of lower elites on lower fares.

I, too, wonder if it would be an ultimately fairer system to process all upgrades shortly before the flight. If I'm a 75K, it doesn't matter to me that I'm #2 on the waitlist and get my upgrade confirmed 5 days before flight or #2 on the waitlist and get my upgrade confirmed on the day of departure--I'm still #2 on the waitlist and get my upgrade.

It's nice to know about an upgrade a bit before the flight--say, about 4 hours--so I can make appropriate arrangements for food (grab something in the airport if I don't get my upgrade) and checked baggage (might check my bags if I'm stuck in coach so I don't have to fight for space, plus the bags will probably be there by the time I get off the plane, whereas in F I want to just grab my bag and go and not have to wait at baggage claim). But beyond about 4 hours before flight, there's no real reason to know I'm in F other than as an anxiety-reduction aid.

However, if AS were to switch to a system like that, they might lose ground to other airlines who still do the advanced-upgrade processing, so I don't know that they'd ever do that. And I do like knowing that I'll be in F 5 days out, so I'm not complaining about the current system!
Perhaps blocking upgrades at t-48 hours after any available MVP advanced upgrades are given would be a happy medium. That would maximize any last minute F sales, and ensure that any available remaining upgrades go to the highest level elites who bought the highest fares within 48 hours. This would still allow for advanced upgrades for other elites (for the reasons you mentioned)...but also close the within 24 hour loophole disaster.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Perhaps blocking upgrades at t-48 hours after any available MVP advanced upgrades are given would be a happy medium. That would maximize any last minute F sales, and ensure that any available remaining upgrades go to the highest level elites who bought the highest fares within 48 hours. This would still allow for advanced upgrades for other elites (for the reasons you mentioned)...but also close the within 24 hour loophole disaster.
^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.