Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change Trick

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Same Day Confirmed Change Trick

Booked a last minute award ticket for today. Two outbound flights available - 1 at a good time and 1 at a bad time.

The good flight cost 2x the miles of the bad time. Checked expert flyer and good flight had Y availability.

Redeemed miles for bad flight and then immediately did a same day confirmed change to the good routing.

10K miles saved!

Hadn't seen anyone post that before, but I'm sure its been done by others.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:02 pm

I always thought there was a $75 same day confirmation. Guess it doesn't apply to award tickets.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dudey
I always thought there was a $75 same day confirmation. Guess it doesn't apply to award tickets.
Alaska SDC is $25 for non-MVPG pax, or $0 with Gold+ status. But I thought award tickets weren't eligible for SDC. Is this a recent policy change or has it always been this way?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Interesting - I've never seen that award tickets were not SDC eligible on the website. It definitely worked for me though, but I've never tried it in the past so I can't comment if it was a newer change.

In regards to the earlier question, $75 is for changes outside of the 6hr SDC window. Within the window, it is $25 to change. If you are MVP Gold, there is no SDC fee and the window is extended to 24hrs.

AS has the most fantastic change fee, SDC, and standby rules for Golds. I can't wait till I hit Gold later this year because this is an industry best!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
In regards to the earlier question, $75 is for changes outside of the 6hr SDC window. Within the window, it is $25 to change. If you are MVP Gold, there is no SDC fee and the window is extended to 24hrs.
Very interesting!

How about a traveler flying on 027 ticket stock (Alaska ticket) and using a Delta Platinum Medallion FF number? Can I SDC fee-free? Could my partner a Delta Gold Medallion do the same?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
Very interesting!

How about a traveler flying on 027 ticket stock (Alaska ticket) and using a Delta Platinum Medallion FF number? Can I SDC fee-free? Could my partner a Delta Gold Medallion do the same?
To the best of my knowledge, it's AS MVPGs only. Delta elites don't have any waivers.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
Booked a last minute award ticket for today.
Isn't one able to make one change (or cancel) a domestic award ticket within 24 hours of booking without a fee? Technically an SDC is a change so perhaps AS's system is allowing the change w/no fee as it's within 24 hours?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
Isn't one able to make one change (or cancel) a domestic award ticket within 24 hours of booking without a fee? Technically an SDC is a change so perhaps AS's system is allowing the change w/no fee as it's within 24 hours?
If AS's system is that smart, I'd be surprised, but you never know. I doubt this is the reason, given that the inventory was not available to book at the lower award level. The 24-hour change works if the inventory is available at the lower award level, and while I suppose they could have released some seats in between booking and the SDC, that--combined with the two different systems used (res and airport)--makes it hard to believe this is the reason.

In any case, in case anyone from AS is reading FT, everyone stop bumping this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.