Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska announces move to Terminal 6 at LAX

Old Apr 5, 11, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/newsr...404_160605.asp
Old Apr 5, 11, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Los Angeles Times and KTLA on the same news.
LAX, Alaska Airlines Agree to Renovations
Nice that international arrivals can be in T6.
Old Apr 5, 11, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
I find it funny how the Alaska site mentions a "new passenger tunnel" between Terminal 5 and 6, you mean the tunnel that is actually old and been open for a long time...

Otherwise, I like the news. Looking forward to checking out the new Board Room when it opens.
Old Apr 5, 11, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Alaska Airlines plans to move into Terminal 6 in late 2011 and begin operations there in spring 2012.

Is it me or is this a very strange statement? They're going to move in 2011, but not start operations until 2012?!? Really???

Last edited by formeraa; Apr 6, 11 at 12:02 pm
Old Apr 5, 11, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Alaska Airlines plans to move into Terminal 6 in late 2011 and begin operations there in spring 2012.

Is it me or is this a very strange statement? They're going to make in 2011, but not start operations until 2012?!? Really???
A bit, but I would assume it means that Alaska will start moving offices, equipment, etc, doing their part of the setup at the end of 2011 in order to actually start running flights in 2012.
Old Apr 5, 11, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Is it me or is this a very strange statement? They're going to make in 2011, but not start operations until 2012?!? Really???
No stranger than:
Alaska Airlines has agreed to provide $18.6 million for the renovation, while Los Angeles World Airports will put up $156.5 million in financing and $95.9 million in cash
Old Apr 6, 11, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by dieselbear View Post
Los Angeles Times and KTLA on the same news.
LAX, Alaska Airlines Agree to Renovations
Nice that international arrivals can be in T6.
We were in Terminal 6 this past week for a Delta flight on a 330 and right now, the nicest thing I can say about it is right now it's a mess and it's clear the renovation effort has been going on there for some time and is a long way from being done.

You can get to the tunnel between terminal from the elevator that goes to the Delta Sky Club at Terminal 5, but it's a bit of a hike to go over to 6.

Bob H
Old Apr 6, 11, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meballard View Post
A bit, but I would assume it means that Alaska will start moving offices, equipment, etc, doing their part of the setup at the end of 2011 in order to actually start running flights in 2012.
Maybe it's just my prior airline experience. But moves are often done overnight (obviously with plenty of pre-planning) -- particularly when the space will be empty in T6. It was just a strange statement for the airline industry. Usually, they would just say "operations are expected to start in Spring 2012".
Old Apr 6, 11, 2:15 pm

Yeah I'm not sure of the 2011/Spring 2012 line myself... Yes, certain things can be moved in advance, and of course I'd expect our gate areas and office spaces will be set up (but not occupied) in advance of the move... but every other move that I've heard of has been a major overnight transition between last flight of the night and first flight next morning.

The reference to a 'new' tunnel is probably a 'new to us' reference to emphasize the new convenience that will be realized for our DL codeshare flights at LAX. I understand that there will be an actual new tunnel leading from the rotunda to out front to the arrivals/baggage claim area (this tunnel is not currently open), a similar tunnel (with TSA checkpoint for entry) has been opened in T5 already. I do not know if the arrivals tunnel in T6 will include TSA checkpoints or if it will be an exit only.

More and more scaffolding and barricades are up as work continues. Lots of behind the screen work being done so no idea what progress has been made, but everything I've seen points to a nice home for AS/QX operations and, more importantly, a huge upgrade in facilities for our passengers.
Old Apr 6, 11, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alaska F/A View Post
Yeah I'm not sure of the 2011/Spring 2012 line myself... Yes, certain things can be moved in advance, and of course I'd expect our gate areas and office spaces will be set up (but not occupied) in advance of the move... but every other move that I've heard of has been a major overnight transition between last flight of the night and first flight next morning.
Exactly! ^

I'm sure the "strange" wording was just the PR person trying to get the press release out as quickly as possible.
Old Apr 7, 11, 1:53 am

I have to admit, in light of recent earnings statements, the LA Times article does kind of make it sound like AS has short arms and deep pockets.
Old Apr 7, 11, 2:51 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
I have to admit, in light of recent earnings statements, the LA Times article does kind of make it sound like AS has short arms and deep pockets.
How much did AA and VX pay toward the remodel of T2 in SFO?
Old Apr 7, 11, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
It's a lawsuit settlement (read: AS was about to clobber LAWA in court over the fees they were being charged, so they negotiated a settlement instead to give AS a shiny remodeled terminal).
Old Apr 7, 11, 10:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
It's a lawsuit settlement (read: AS was about to clobber LAWA in court over the fees they were being charged, so they negotiated a settlement instead to give AS a shiny remodeled terminal).
This would make it difficult for me to transfer to TBIT..

T3 is the closest and most conveniently located to TBIT, and now they're moving to T6 just complicates things for me..
Old Apr 7, 11, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by General_Flyer View Post
This would make it difficult for me to transfer to TBIT..

T3 is the closest and most conveniently located to TBIT, and now they're moving to T6 just complicates things for me..
It shouldn't. I have transferred plenty of times between TBIT and T7 (in both directions), with luggage on wheels, always walking, never taking the bus. It is less than a 10 minute walk, but take the lower level, as the upper curbs get very crowded. And from TBIT >to> 7 you get a free cart.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: