Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska announces move to Terminal 6 at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska announces move to Terminal 6 at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:43 pm

Yeah I'm not surprised that VX and AA didn't pay for the new facilities in T2... it was purely speculation on my part. And yes I would expect more use of the International gates for Domestic flights when T1 begins its eventual replacement... preferably with all gates in T1 accessable on the secure side, giving our codeshare passengers far easier access to DL.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
[QUOTE=Alaska F/A;16183746]Multiple topics here....

LAX - Not knowing any of the specifics of any settlement, that probably is as good a guess as any as to why the numbers may appear off kilter. Plus remember that much of the improvement is for actual airport facilities (new ceilings, removing asbestos, new baggage handling systems, baggage claims, new air conditioning units, etc...) that are not directly under the control of the individual airline(s). Yes our ticketing counter and gate spaces, signage along with our office spaces, Board Room etc *are* airline specific and one would expect us to pony up for those particular improvements. The move from T3rdWorld to T6 will also give us a different level of 'ownership' of our gate areas... currently in T3 we are common use tenants, and subject to the whims and dictates of LAWA for everything from signage to gate assignment and seating etc... In T6 we will have different lease agreement which should allow us to set up our public spaces (gate areas) in the fashion we want with the GIDS signage as we choose to benefit our ops and our passengers.

LAX - I would *think* that we would be impacted less by any alley congestion as most of our gates in T6 will be on the far end of the terminal... CO/UA and DL I believe will have the gates deepest in the alleyways... other than this conjecture, it's totally out of my realm of knowledge... perhaps AlaskaCoho could help out on this one?

Actually from just an operator point of view we are looking forward to the new gates. From the South arrivals on the North complex are hard to come by and the taxi times are long to T3 and T2. From the North it’s not too bad a taxi South. The biggest good deal is that all arrivals international and domestic as I understand will be there. No more buses to the Bradley terminal. At the moment we use the back 40 remote parking and won't have to do that any longer as well. Ramp tower is one stop shopping to get a clearance whereas on the North complex there are a couple we deal with in the alley and on taxiway B. All around it will be a good move, if it goes smoothly.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:41 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I fly out of T6 frequently on CO, and T6 is a mess right now with all the scaffolds everywhere

It is making CO flyers miserable, but I always smirk every time I walk through T6, because I know it is for AS and their passengers

I find it a little odd that they are going to occupy the rotunda, because that is where all the gates that can accommodate heavy planes are and UA is constantly having issues with gate space for their widebodies...

DL has "moved" out of T6 for the time being and the DL gates have been closed out for some construction work...

I will try and grab some pictures on Thursday...
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I fly out of T6 frequently on CO, and T6 is a mess right now with all the scaffolds everywhere

It is making CO flyers miserable, but I always smirk every time I walk through T6, because I know it is for AS and their passengers

I find it a little odd that they are going to occupy the rotunda, because that is where all the gates that can accommodate heavy planes are and UA is constantly having issues with gate space for their widebodies...

DL has "moved" out of T6 for the time being and the DL gates have been closed out for some construction work...

I will try and grab some pictures on Thursday...
Too funny... now the question... what are you doin' on CO

Look forward to the pics
Old May 27, 2011, 2:21 pm

Here is a one page fact sheet from the LAX website. Nothing really in the way of new info but some decent renderings of the ticketing area, southernmost rotunda area as well as baggage claim. No real revelations, just confirmation of items already discussed here.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...n%204_7_11.pdf

Last time I checked, pretty much the entire facility was a maze of barricades behind which our new facility is being constructed. I'll try to go and take some pix next time I am down at LAX, that is if there is anything worthwhile to see!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: AS, Hyatt , Marirott
T-6 Security

My question is how long will the security lines be? If AS & DL are sharing does that mean that the line to get thru security be out the door, down Century Blvd all the way east to MONroe
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by falawa
My question is how long will the security lines be? If AS & DL are sharing does that mean that the line to get thru security be out the door, down Century Blvd all the way east to MONroe
Delta's primary operations are in T-5.

Terminals 8, 7, 6, 5 are all interconnecting airside (after security).

When I lived in LA and flew frequently on UA (T-7 or 8), if security was backed up at T-7 I would simply walk down to T-6 and enter security there, and then backtrack to my T-7/8 gate.

I wouldn't expect a backup (ala T-1, where WN is), but if there is one, think about your other options at one of the interconnecting terminals.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:44 pm

FWIW, if you look at the first picture on the fact sheet, you see an escalator at the back wall... this view is from the front of the ticketing area (front doors/windows behind you) looking thru the new Airport of the Future check in areas... That escalator leads up to an expansion of the existing TSA checkpoints, being built directly above our new ticketing areas (this is new construction making use of unused space). The current TSA checkpoints will remain in place (I assume some slight changes, but the bulk of TSA stays where it is). We are adding at least two new TSA lanes above our ticketing areas tho which will help.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:37 pm

T-6 Pictures

Originally Posted by falawa
In the photos section June 7th section in the following link

http://www.lawa.org/laxdev/

there are six pictures, page 16-21, of the work going on in Terminal 6. Page 21 has a picture of the new screening and security checkpoint construction. As for the other pictures, I pity anyone flying out of T6 now.

Direct link to the update with the photos
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...206_7_2011.pdf

Last edited by SNAnghbr; Jun 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm Reason: added direct link to the PDF
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:53 pm

Latest update is that construction is continuing pretty close to schedule...

DL delayed their vacating the far end gates (67-69) until just recently which slowed down the commencement of demolition and construction in that space... other minor issues but nothing major that would be problematic. Between the major construction (for AS spaces) and even the more minor refreshing which has been completed (connector gates where CO/DL are and have been) the entire facility is getting a long over due renovation, front to back and top to bottom.

Major work on baggage system proceeding as planned, major work in most areas is also going as planned. Minor issues crop up here and there (as do in any renovation) and adjustments/corrections made to ensure compliance with building codes. For some reason there's been not much activity on the replacement escalators... I dunno what it may be, one would assume any of a) location issues, b) product issues or c) timing to coincide with other construction.

Pictures posted by SNAnghbr are pretty similar to what I had seen of the new AOF extension and upper level TSA checkpoints which are being added.

Baggage claim finally starting to see some definition (whereas before it was better described as a war zone... lol) but at least you can see some of the artist concept in the current photo.

The pictures posted really give you no sense of how claustrophobic the building is currently with all the scaffolding covering the ceilings. Parts feel like walking thru a tunnel in what should be a wide open area...

This is all just of the public spaces... I have no idea of the current progress or views of the AS office/ground and crew spaces, the Boardroom as well as the exit to baggage tunnel which is being reopened (similar to T3 currently and how T5 had recently opened)

Everything now still points to a Feb 2012 move date into an almost completed renovation with specific parts to follow (already planned to be complete post move date). Of course as in any renovation the more you dig, the more you find, but I'd think that most obvious unknown issues have been discovered and are being dealt with already.

I know I'm a goof but love seeing the progress... it's exciting because we will have fantastic new facilities benefiting our passengers as well as our employees, in probably the best facilities at LAX for some time to come. Not saying much considering the other terminals, but hey, it's a move way up from T3rdWorld!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It shouldn't. I have transferred plenty of times between TBIT and T7 (in both directions), with luggage on wheels, always walking, never taking the bus. It is less than a 10 minute walk, but take the lower level, as the upper curbs get very crowded. And from TBIT >to> 7 you get a free cart.
Great idea. I had never considered this!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Any update on the reno?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by shuckit
Any update on the reno?
LAX boardroom concierges said they had a meeting last night and actually put a date out- March 20, 2012

Last edited by beckoa; Oct 4, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:32 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by shuckit
Any update on the reno?
Still a work in progress and won't be complete until Summer 2012 based on reports by LAWA. However, I read somewhere that AS is planning on moving sometime in late 1Q or early 2Q of 2012.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:20 pm

New Pics of T6

LAWA has posted an construction update for the whole construction project. Pages 12-17 have some updated pictures from T6.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...2012-22-11.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.