Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Old Apr 16, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL DM
The person traveling with a c-pap or other medical device is probably also traveling with more medicine and other essentials than most people. No, I don't think she should have to check her laptop or blood sugar meter or camera or lumbar support pillow or items that help her to tolerate her disability. I think that we could all be more understanding. I have never seen someone lie about medical equipment, although I have seen a TA ask the person in front of me to show her the medical device and meds in his carryons before she would tag them. Do you really want to restrict people who experience honest pain or limitations because someone else might be lying?

No, tall and obese are not the same thing. Tall people often receive more respect than very short people do, and certainly more than fat people do. Wouldn't it be nice to be kind to people who have to cope with scorn and rejection daily? Many of us underestimate the physical and emotional causes of obesity as well as the impact of health and mobility impairments on both weight and general functioning. My physically disabled clients are often (and by "often" I mean several times a week) treated as if they are either unbearable nuisances or developmentally delayed ... Yes, I am a psychotherapist, so I am biased. I get to see the suffering of marginalized people every day.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I agree that as a society we need to step back and look around us. The tread started with the insensitivity of Alaska crews not only for the "too tall" gentlemen as well the two gentlemen that were Jewish observing their beliefs.
There is a trend at Alaska that I am seeing in their customer service side that I am not too happy with, and I travel a lot.

We are too fixed on "perfect" today and that needs to change as well as being so confrontational STARTING with Washington!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by edgewood49
There is a trend at Alaska that I am seeing in their customer service side that I am not too happy with, and I travel a lot.
You mentioned this a couple of times--what have you been experiencing?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jwright
You mentioned this a couple of times--what have you been experiencing?
Only that I sense a decrease in the "quality" of line service as well as some "forgetting" about the client.

For those who are long time AS travelers it's a little reminiscent of awhile back especially when they were going through contract talks.

I am not saying that they service is "bad" but there is "something" missing that was there before. But then there are a lot of things that are "missing" in society today!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
I am surely glad that you are not responsible for airline cabin baggage policies.

While I'm sure you have an idealized world view, you're willing to make every trip I take an hour longer for me (30 minutes earlier to airport to check bags, 30 min allowance to reclaim); you are would reduce the airline's plane utilization and freight revenue by filling the belly with bags and reducing turnaournd time - thereby increasing fares for everyone; you would cause all of us to deal with undelivered baggage on 3% of our flights; etc. Thank god you don't set the policies.

All bags with wheels should be checked? What time era do you come from? Bags with wheels are a great invention and they are designed to fit the overhead bids

Originally Posted by Jack Burton
As a firm believer that all bags with wheels and/or larger than a backpack should be checked,...here is my concern in this case,...If this woman's "3rd" bag was indeed medical gear and was absolutely needed as a carry-on, then she should have checked one or both of her other 2 non-medical bags.
Well, since you are only allowed 2 bags, some concessions need to be made as to what is most important. What if everyone on that flight made the same claim about "needing" 3 bags? Then no one would have space in the overheads.

Let's face it, most people carry on far too much just to avoid checked baggage fees, and do not care if it affects other people. Generally, I board early enough for bin space not to be an issue, but on a few tight connections, I wasn't able to find space for a single small backpack when everyone else had planet-sized rollerbags.
I am entitled to check 2 free bags. I almost never check a bag and travel with 1 rollaboard and 1 backpack.

This is assuming that this bag is legit and was absolutely needed in the cabin. If so, fine. But most people I have found lie about such things. I'm sure you've seen late comers argue about being forced to gate check their bags when the bins have been full. Each and every one of them claim that they NEED to have their items with them.
You really are the perfect traveler and everyone else is out there to ruin your travel experience. Just mellow out and stop being the police on everyone else. No one likes to gate check their bag but I don't see my fellow travelers as liars. And no, each and every one does not claim that. In fact most don't claim that at all. Some will say they have something fragile, and I'm inclined to believe them. Almost everyone cooperates with the crew.

To some extent the airlines have exacerbated the problem with the charges for checking bags.

Scientific? Your word, not mine. No science needed, just eyes and ears.

Nearly every time I've seen someone told that their bag is too large and/or that the bins are full, the story plays same,...other than for a few cases where it gets resolved in seconds. Starts with a debate with the FA that their mega-sized bag must remain in the cabin for this reason or that,...the importance, the value, etc. Then a bit of foot stomping and heavy sighing before finally conceding their position. Funny that all these people are carrying such essential items in suitcases, while still carrying at least one other small bag or backpack, which I'm sure is actually the bag which contains what they truly need.

All the fuss, and waste of other people's time, simply to avoid having to pay to check-in their bag, and/or spend their own time later to retrieve it. No consideration for others, simple as that. Solved easily if only true carry-ons were permitted in the cabin,...nothing with wheels, nothing larger than a standard backpack. I know it would brighten my day! This will be my last reply to anything other than the original topic.
We'll see if it will be your last post (as you've had plenty). I do not see foot stomping, I see cooperation. And it's not only about the bag fee, which of course isn't even charged for gate checking, and which elites don't pay. I see nothing in the current system which warrants excluding all rollaboard bags from the cabin. Rollaboards are a great invention, and they save passengers time and the airline money in handling baggage, and allow the airline to make more money on cargo. It's win-win.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
This is assuming that this bag is legit and was absolutely needed in the cabin. If so, fine. But most people I have found lie about such things. I'm sure you've seen late comers argue about being forced to gate check their bags when the bins have been full. Each and every one of them claim that they NEED to have their items with them.
Remember the issue with laptops etc is not "laziness" to check it, it's theft. I would not in a million years check a laptop, and if I did I would be surprised if it arrived at the other end present and intact.

In the UK, what you'd do is remove the laptop and check the bag, putting the laptop in the seatback pocket. But in the US they won't allow that...

FWIW, the solution is to fit bigger bins that will fit a 56x45x25 IATA size rollaboard vertically and end-on, then to strictly enforce this being the maximum size (i.e. if anyone brings on a bag that will not fit that orientation, it is immediately gate-checked - no need for a gauge!) Airbus A319/32x series aircraft have bins of a suitable size (almost), whereas the Boeing 737 series ones are far too small. I hope the "Sky Interior" will solve the problem.

Neil

Last edited by pacer142; Apr 18, 2011 at 7:28 am Reason: removed comments that didn't apply
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:17 am

Let's face it, most people carry on far too much just to avoid checked baggage fees, and do not care if it affects other people. Generally, I board early enough for bin space not to be an issue, but on a few tight connections, I wasn't able to find space for a single small backpack when everyone else had planet-sized rollerbags.
So, someone else had put a bag under the seat in front of you? Or did you just not want to put it there?

(I prefer not to put a bag there either, but sometimes there's no reasonable other option).

Neil
Old Apr 18, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by pacer142
Remember the issue with laptops etc is not "laziness" to check it, it's theft. I would not in a million years check a laptop, and if I did I would be surprised if it arrived at the other end present and intact.
The same applies to medical equipment. You may not use your CPAP (or whatever) on the plane, but you need to ensure that it arrives with you, in working order.

I often have a laptop in both of my carryons, if I am on a long trip. I can't do any personal stuff on my work machine, so if I have evenings free, I have my personal laptop to catch up on email, bills, etc.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by makfan
I often have a laptop in both of my carryons, if I am on a long trip. I can't do any personal stuff on my work machine
While that might be a normal situation, I can't help but think any company that strictly enforces that when you're travelling on business is being unduly picky.

(Unless of course you work for a Government agency or similar processing secret information, I guess).

Neil
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
^^^

Or you have a sysadmin in your office who feels free to "back up" the entire contents of your work computer anytime she feels like it, without warning! Stranger things have happened!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:59 am

Now we have Toilet Papergate !
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Now we have Toilet Papergate !
I'm surprised there's no thread on this. Did Alaska offer compensation for delays as a result?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
I'm surprised there's no thread on this. Did Alaska offer compensation for delays as a result?

Haven't seen one but Alaska's high flying profit and stock pricing seems to be adversely appearing on the "other side " SERVICE !
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Haven't seen one but Alaska's high flying profit and stock pricing seems to be adversely appearing on the "other side " SERVICE !
It's north of expected
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by dgreen12
While the width of the person can be taken into account by buying an adjacent seat, extra legroom can't be accommodated by buying an extra coach seat, since the rows aren't adjustable upon demand.
This guy was apparently able to accommodate his extra height by putting his legs and feet over in the aisle. If he were to buy an extra seat he could sit slightly sideways and have plenty of room.

Telling fat people to eat less is like telling someone to breathe less air. Most really aren't able to do it, yet I certainly expect them to buy an extra seat if they need it. The same goes for tall people.

Buy as much seat as you need. Studies show that all other things being equal, tall people make more money than short people. They can use some of those extra earnings to buy the extra space they need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.