Wiki Posts
Search

Standby to another bay area airport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Platinum, AMEX/Platinum
Standby to another bay area airport?

Sorry if this has been discussed before or is obvious, but wondering if on the first leg of a flight to the bay area, I could standby on an earlier flight to another bay area airport (SFO vs OAK, for instance).
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
According to alaskaair.com

Your routing must remain identical to your currently ticketed flights - meaning the same origin, destination, thru and connection cities. Co-terminal changes are not allowed
Bolding by me
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That's Same-Day Change. This is NOT true for standby- I've switched around all the time between LAX/BUR/LGB by showing up at the airport and requesting it (and cleared into F, to boot). It's an great feature to have when you want to be at the different end of LA than the one you originally booked.

Free standby is Gold or 75K only now, though. (Technically, I believe what happens when you are standing by for a co-terminal flight is the ticket is reissued without charge day-of-flight.)

That being said, I don't know if AS will do that if you are CONNECTING. OP, are you connecting in the Bay Area?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Platinum, AMEX/Platinum
Not connecting. Originating in Seattle and going to OAK, but there is an earlier flight to SFO and that works too....I'm Gold BTW.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
(Technically, I believe what happens when you are standing by for a co-terminal flight is the ticket is reissued without charge day-of-flight.)
If that's true, that blows the idea out of the water that AS can't allow routing changes when doing SDC because it requires a ticket reissue. If agents can do this, they should be able to do SDCs involving routing changes. It ends up being a similar process for the agents either way.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not connecting. Originating in Seattle and going to OAK, but there is an earlier flight to SFO and that works too....I'm Gold BTW.
Then show up at the airport early if there's space and tell them you want to go to SFO.

If that's true, that blows the idea out of the water that AS can't allow routing changes when doing SDC because it requires a ticket reissue. If agents can do this, they should be able to do SDCs involving routing changes. It ends up being a similar process for the agents either way.
All I can say is you can't do co-terminal standby via SDC online, but I've done it at the airport loads of times.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
All I can say is you can't do co-terminal standby via SDC online, but I've done it at the airport loads of times.
Agents may be being lenient about it. I don't believe this is official policy.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would look at this thread.

RASMguy is an AAG employee (AS/QX route planner). As, of course, is Missy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.