Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air to drop 'nerd bird' route, up Hawaii frequencies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

SEATTLE, Feb. 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Alaska Airlines announced today it is expanding service from the Bay Area to Hawaii, with daily flights between both Oakland and San Jose, Calif., and Kahului, Hawaii, on the island of Maui, starting June 5, 2011. The airline currently operates four weekly flights between Oakland and Maui and three weekly flights between San Jose and Maui. With the increase to daily service, Alaska Airlines will offer 35 flights a week from the Bay Area and Sacramento, Calif., to Hawaii.

At the same time, the carrier is discontinuing service between San Jose, Calif., and Austin, Texas, effective May 6, 2011. Alaska will continue its nonstop daily service between Seattle and Austin.

"We wanted to align our San Jose and Bay Area service with our overall West Coast strategy," said Joe Sprague, Alaska Airlines' vice president of marketing. "We're very committed to the Bay Area and expanding our Maui service to daily flights is a great benefit for our customers."
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

WN chased them off the route, in all of 6 months time.

I wonder what happens when WN starts flying ETOPS from OAK and SJC, which isn't too far down the road, I think. You can pretty much bet WN will be very aggressive pricing things, they have great mind share out of SJC and OAK, and they will dump a bunch of capacity into the Bay Area-Hawaii routes (and unlike AS, they will be able to run one-stops to LAS profitably, which is a big selling point in Hawaii- Hawaiians LOVE their Vegas trips, so WN should be able to fill planes, even if all of a sudden there's too much capacity for just Bay Area-Hawaii- I believe one-stops to Vegas through the Bay Area were old AQ routes). At some point AS is going to have to make a stand against WN outside of SEA/PDX, and putting all the eggs into the Hawaii basket is risky when WN and G4 are about to come online and start trashing Hawaii yields in a lot of West Coast markets.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 18, 2011 at 8:55 am
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:57 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Another example of AS retreating so easily... They are going to run out of Hawaii options then where are they going next after the competition has taken up all unique routes like the nerd bird?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
IM(nsh)O, this is quite shortsighted. I doubt the route was losing $, but what do I know. I understand the desire to immediately put planes on routes that make immediate(more) money, but as I had predicted, the route network keeps getting thinner and thinner. West coast routes are getting thin (frequencies) or disappearing (esp. QX) It is rapidly becoming an airline with SEA sending low-frequency spokes East, a lot of HI feed from around the West, and high frequency SEA/ANC. We'll see how the incremental increase of Mexico service holds.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I would think the SJC-AUS flights would have done well with a large number of nerds who do business in both cities. I guess it's SJC-SLC-AUS from now on if I want to go there.

The Hawaii flights are nice and I've flown them a couple times, but those are totally leisure flights and I don't see how they would be more profitable in the long term.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sad to see this go... And I'm sure there will be some ripe folks in both SJC and AUS. When I flew this route in Jan however the sunday flight only had 5 seats occupied in the front, and I think the back was rather light as well. WN will sure be happy
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG
According to the schedule, it looks like they're leaving the PDX-SJC segment as mainline. Wonder if that will last?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I would think the SJC-AUS flights would have done well with a large number of nerds who do business in both cities. I guess it's SJC-SLC-AUS from now on if I want to go there.
On Delta.

Or AUS-DFW/LAX-SJC on AA.

Or AUS-DEN/IAH-SJC on UA/CO.

Or AUS-SJC on WN.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by czpdx
According to the schedule, it looks like they're leaving the PDX-SJC segment as mainline. Wonder if that will last?
For now until they find a route that needs that jet...
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
IM(nsh)O, this is quite shortsighted. I doubt the route was losing $, but what do I know. I understand the desire to immediately put planes on routes that make immediate(more) money, but as I had predicted, the route network keeps getting thinner and thinner. West coast routes are getting thin (frequencies) or disappearing (esp. QX) It is rapidly becoming an airline with SEA sending low-frequency spokes East, a lot of HI feed from around the West, and high frequency SEA/ANC. We'll see how the incremental increase of Mexico service holds.
Hopefully, someone from AS will chime in. I doubt that the route was making any money. I don't think that AS would have pulled it, if it had been making money.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by formeraa
Hopefully, someone from AS will chime in. I doubt that the route was making any money. I don't think that AS would have pulled it, if it had been making money.
That is not necessarily true. When your fleet is thin, you often have to choose between dumping a somewhat profitable route for a route that you can make more profit on. Also, you have to give a market time to build itself.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:20 pm

Looks like AS is positioning themselves as the replacement for the defunct Aloha Airlines.

With BLI-HNL, how about adding BLI-OGG; that will attract even more Vancouver traffic.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I always thought the AUS-SJC route was a bit strange for AS. There really isn't much feed on either end of it (unless you take it to PDX). WN can route a bunch of connecting traffic through that route. It'll be interesting to see if WN stays with that route. I suspect they will...for a while at least.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I always thought the AUS-SJC route was a bit strange for AS. There really isn't much feed on either end of it (unless you take it to PDX). WN can route a bunch of connecting traffic through that route. It'll be interesting to see if WN stays with that route. I suspect they will...for a while at least.
I agree and I think AS wisely figured it wasn't worth it to fight WN on a non-hub route.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tusphotog
When AS started it they figured they could make a go of it after AA dumped it in their major retreat from SJC. I always thought of this as a point to point route that fits the businesses of Silicon Valley and Austin. But then WN got into it and I'm not surprised that both carriers would last on this route. There is some demand, but not enough for multiple carriers. I was hoping WN pulled out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.