Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which First Class Row on 737-800?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Which First Class Row on 737-800?

I will be buying tickets for the first time on AS. The flights are BOS-SEA and SEA-KOA. I noticed both aircraft are the 737-800.

I looked at seatguru.com and seatexpert.com and it appears the pitch in each row is different and ranges from 36" to 38". Does anyone have a recommendation for which row to purchase?

Also, how do they do meal service?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Bishope2
I will be buying tickets for the first time on AS. The flights are BOS-SEA and SEA-KOA. I noticed both aircraft are the 737-800.

I looked at seatguru.com and seatexpert.com and it appears the pitch in each row is different and ranges from 36" to 38". Does anyone have a recommendation for which row to purchase?

Also, how do they do meal service?
I'd aim for Row 2 as it seems that AS does meal service from front to back, left to right. Not always, but 95 percent of the time. It also doesn't deal with the bulkhead of Row 1.... otherwise I'd probably choose row 3. Row 4 sometimes has the chance of disappearing due to an A/C swap, but not an issue on flights to Hawaii... and reclines into the Coach section.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I also prefer row 2 primarily because meals & drinks usually go front to rear as beckoa noted. You do run the risk of getting bumped by an air marshal as they sit in 2C or 2D, although I've never had that happen.

I have a friend who is very tall and he prefers 1C or 1D (can't remember which) since he can stretch his legs out better. Carryons, however, have to go in the overhead and you usually end up going back to row 2 or 3 to find space.

Have a great flight. You'll love Hawaii and F is the only way to go!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:29 pm

I'd recommend row 2, if possible. If not, pick row 3. I'd hate to be stuck in a bulkhead seat for two transcons.

Originally Posted by pipeliner
I have a friend who is very tall and he prefers 1C or 1D (can't remember which) since he can stretch his legs out better.
On the 738 1D is ^ It's got great legroom because the closet doesn't go all the way out to the aisle. 1F is a different story (just a typical bulkhead seat).
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:51 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
like most others said I go for row 2. I have a preference order for side and rows and all. 2,3,1,4. 4 is always my last resort due to possible A/C swaps. D,C, A, F(easier to pick up drinks from D and A as a right hander. Exception is HNL departure I like the C side for the nice few of waikiki at night taking off. WIth a long haul row 4 probably wouldnt be an issue. If you are in row 1 try to board ASAP to get storage space

Last edited by ANC; Feb 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
I love Seat 1D First Class Aisle Seat
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
When I don't care about meals, row 4 is my favorite as there is more legroom and I recline as far as allowed without getting in the way of the passenger in Y
Old Feb 12, 2011, 5:27 am
Original Poster

I am not too concerned about the meal service. CDKing, I did notice that on both seatguru and seatexpert, they do say row 4 has the most pitch. That said, while in recline, how far into the next row (coach) do you go? Both of those sites indicate that there is a curtain dividing both cabins
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Bishope2
I am not too concerned about the meal service. CDKing, I did notice that on both seatguru and seatexpert, they do say row 4 has the most pitch. That said, while in recline, how far into the next row (coach) do you go? Both of those sites indicate that there is a curtain dividing both cabins
It reclines as much as any other F seat (i.e. not a ton). The curtain does not obstruct the recline at all, and row 6 has enough legroom that your recline does not restrict their movement (when I'm in row 6, I never notice whether row 4 reclines).

There may be a difference in seat pitch between rows 2, 3, and 4, but it's pretty much only on paper. I've never noticed a ton of difference between the rows--certainly not enough to affect my preference.

My order goes something like this:

WINDOW:
Row 2, side away from sun (day flight) or side facing north (night flight--for Northern Lights)
Row 2, opposite side
Row 3, away from sun (day) or north (night)
Row 3, opposite side
IF HAWAII FLIGHT OR TRANSCON (i.e. guaranteed to be 737-800)
Row 4, away from sun (day) or north (night)
Row 4, opposite side
Row 1, away from sun (day) or north (night)
Row 1, opposite side
ELSE:
Row 1, away from sun (day) or north (night)
Row 1, opposite side
Row 4, away from sun (day) or north (night)
Row 4, opposite side

Side choice trumped by chance to view scenery (i.e. I always pick the east side between SEA/PDX and ANC for views of Glacier Bay, etc.).

After those choices are exhausted, repeat above order, substituting aisle seats for window seats.

Now, if only I could load that order into the AS website so it always auto-assigns me the seat I want...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:33 am

I am looking at a round trip (non-stop) Orlando to Vegas trip on a Delta 737-800. Coming back it will be a red eye. It will be myself and my wife.

I don't understand what is meant by an "A/C" swap. Could someone explain that to me?

If I understand what I am reading here correctly, the recline in row 4 is the same as rows 1-3... without concern for getting into the space of the person behind you (just a curtain)? Seat Guru LINK shows row 4 as having limited recline - though it also states (when you hover over it) that they are "standard economy seats"!!!

If my goal is to kick the seat back (as far as it will go), and SLEEP - would that be best accomplished in row 4?

THANKS!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:23 pm

I have read on another thread that row 4 actually has a little more recline, though SeatGuru indicates that it has limited recline.

Thoughts?

THANKS
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
My wife and I flew KOA-SEA last week. I'm 6-4 and sat in 2A going to the Big Island and in 4A coming back. I had more room, I felt, in 4A, because I reclined right into the 737-800 curtain. And the flight attendant began beverage and meal service from back to front when we were in the fourth row on the way back to Seattle. The meal and beverage service to and from Kona was absolutely wonderful. Thank goodness for Alaska Airlines credit card $99 companion tickets!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by But It's A Dry Rain
My wife and I flew KOA-SEA last week. I'm 6-4 and sat in 2A going to the Big Island and in 4A coming back. I had more room, I felt, in 4A, because I reclined right into the 737-800 curtain. And the flight attendant began beverage and meal service from back to front when we were in the fourth row on the way back to Seattle. The meal and beverage service to and from Kona was absolutely wonderful. Thank goodness for Alaska Airlines credit card $99 companion tickets!
Row 2 is the most desirable, period
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Row 2 is the most desirable, period
I think I've heard rumors that row 3 has a little more legroom, but if so, it's not noticeable to me. Regardless, I agree that row 2 is the most desirable. For me on a Hawaii or transcon flight, my order of preference is 2-3-4-1. On any flight where a 734/73G/739 could be substituted, it's 2-3-1-4 (I'd rather have the bulkhead in front of me than obstructing my recline, as on the 739, or my seat disappearing entirely, as on the 734/73G).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by jackal
I think I've heard rumors that row 3 has a little more legroom, but if so, it's not noticeable to me. Regardless, I agree that row 2 is the most desirable. For me on a Hawaii or transcon flight, my order of preference is 2-3-4-1. On any flight where a 734/73G/739 could be substituted, it's 2-3-1-4 (I'd rather have the bulkhead in front of me than obstructing my recline, as on the 739, or my seat disappearing entirely, as on the 734/73G).
As I fly on average 100K in '37's Jackal's post is right on. I just wish AS would add some more padding to the bottoms ! Among the worst in seating comfort especially long haul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.