Wiki Posts
Search

Which First Class Row on 737-800?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jackal
I think I've heard rumors that row 3 has a little more legroom, but if so, it's not noticeable to me. Regardless, I agree that row 2 is the most desirable. For me on a Hawaii or transcon flight, my order of preference is 2-3-4-1. On any flight where a 734/73G/739 could be substituted, it's 2-3-1-4 (I'd rather have the bulkhead in front of me than obstructing my recline, as on the 739, or my seat disappearing entirely, as on the 734/73G).
We're flying SJC-OGG in January. Flt. departs abt. 11:30AM. Seats 2A&B are taken. Taking into consideration:
-position of the sun
-views of Maui on approach
-lunch service

...would you pick 2D&F or 3A&B or.......?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by philemer
Originally Posted by jackal
I think I've heard rumors that row 3 has a little more legroom, but if so, it's not noticeable to me. Regardless, I agree that row 2 is the most desirable. For me on a Hawaii or transcon flight, my order of preference is 2-3-4-1. On any flight where a 734/73G/739 could be substituted, it's 2-3-1-4 (I'd rather have the bulkhead in front of me than obstructing my recline, as on the 739, or my seat disappearing entirely, as on the 734/73G).
We're flying SJC-OGG in January. Flt. departs abt. 11:30AM. Seats 2A&B are taken. Taking into consideration:
-position of the sun
-views of Maui on approach
-lunch service

...would you pick 2D&F or 3A&B or.......?
Prob 2DF; can't recall re view been over a year since I visited the Magic Isle, but for other points closer to front is better for service, and right will have less sun.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by beckoa
Prob 2DF; can't recall re view been over a year since I visited the Magic Isle, but for other points closer to front is better for service, and right will have less sun.
agree on sun, service depends on the FA, rarely they serve from the back. RE views, left side will probably be better on approach unless you have the reacharound approach from the southwest, in which case both sides of A/C would have good views of haleakela in DF or west maui in AC.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by BLNT
I don't understand what is meant by an "A/C" swap. Could someone explain that to me?

If my goal is to kick the seat back (as far as it will go), and SLEEP - would that be best accomplished in row 4?

THANKS!
Aircraft swap...where they use a plane with a different configuration than originally scheduled for the flight. AS will swap out a 737-8 (16 seats in F and curtain after row 4) with a 737-4 (12 seats in F with a solid wall behind row 3), losing 4 F seats.

Recline is the same for all F seats, so it really does not matter,
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:39 pm

which row is better in F: 1 or 4?

Hi all
Flying SEA-HNL seated 1D and 1F. I usually aim for row 2 or 3. No other seats available at time of booking so we took them and were thankful!

However row 4 has opened up and i am wondering if its worth changing.

Pros and cons i am aware of:

Row 1: pro - can get first choice on menu, quieter away from back, closer to b/room and extra footroom for 1. Cons- noisier near galley, no underseat storage

Row 4: pro: underseat storage, con-noisier due to proximity to other cabin, dont get choice of food sometimes (can seat go back?)

I havent sat in either of these rows before. Any of you experts who have experience with either of the 2 have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:49 pm

I prefer row 4 if I know that there can't be an a/c swap (etops to HI requires the 738). The seats do recline in row 4. Not a fan of bulkhead seats.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I prefer Row 1 and one piece of feedback for you regarding first choice of menu - it depends on the F/A. Most of the time, they start with the bulkhead pax, but some F/A's will start taking orders from Row 4.

Row 4 is where pax from Y will start queuing for access to the F lav. So be prepared for that if you choose Row 4.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:33 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
I'd add that one of the pros for row 1 is that there's nobody in front of you to recline in to you and the con is that you can't stretch your legs out except maybe at an angle in the aisle seat.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
1D is a great seat. The bulkhead doesn't go all the way out so you can stretch out. Nobody reclines in your face.

I'm not a fan of the bulkhead windows though...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by gba
I'd add that one of the pros for row 1 is that there's nobody in front of you to recline in to you and the con is that you can't stretch your legs out except maybe at an angle in the aisle seat.
The 738/73G seats barely recline, so that's not really a problem.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:50 pm

Not Row 1

If you are tall, row one stinks, especially the window seat as there is lack of leg room !
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
4F is the most claustrophobic I've ever felt in an F cabin.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Sydneyjb
If you are tall, row one stinks, especially the window seat as there is lack of leg room !
Legroom for me is an issue- almost would prefer exit row (15C/D) over row 1

I vote row 4.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
No AS First seat is a good seat, but... Unless you are over 6', go for row 1 and don't even think about row 4. AS pitch is crappy but no one will be reclining into your row 1 space. We had row 4 OGG-OAK last year and most of the forward Y cabin camped out by my 4C waiting for the F (as in "front" as opposed to "First Class") lav.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 31, 2011 at 7:42 pm
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:35 pm

With all of Row 1 space shunned, I'll have plenty of room to stretch out!

I do like the bulkhead, mainly because there is no one in row 0!

Lately, I have experienced no shortage of over head bin space on the 16 seat cabin aircraft as more and more flight attendants do reserve / close the doors on the bulkhead row bins. That's a very effective method of assuring bulkhead passengers have space for their carryons - I thank you for that little bit of consideration! :-: As far as food is concerned - 'Yeah - I'll take that' is fine by me - and everyone gets a bag of party mix. OK, what else .... Oh yeah, Row 4, that's where coach passengers line up for the lav? What fairytale bus does that happen on? I'm cruisin' more and more on the spacious Q400's and we're lucky if they shut the lavatory door - dang pesky coach passengers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.