FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   SEA-MIA red eye questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1180845-sea-mia-red-eye-questions.html)

Aspan Feb 5, 11 8:49 pm

SEA-MIA red eye questions
 
Greetings,
Tried searching the forum and did not find much.
Traveling on the red eye next week in F and was wondering what to expect? I have a morning meeting in MIA. i.e. pickup rental and head to the meeting. Does this flight serve dinner and/or breakfast?
Do all AS flights have Wifi?
Generally on time?
Access to the Boardroom?
F security line?
Also its seems I have 4d, is there a curtain or a bulkhead between Y and F?
Happy to reciprocate to anyone flying AC!

Thanks

BOB W Feb 5, 11 10:37 pm


Originally Posted by Aspan (Post 15810955)
Greetings,
Tried searching the forum and did not find much.
Traveling on the red eye next week in F and was wondering what to expect? I have a morning meeting in MIA. i.e. pickup rental and head to the meeting. Does this flight serve dinner and/or breakfast?
Do all AS flights have Wifi?
Generally on time?
Access to the Boardroom?
F security line?
Also its seems I have 4d, is there a curtain or a bulkhead between Y and F?
Happy to reciprocate to anyone flying AC!

Thanks

Based on my ANC-ORD fligt last night here is what you should expect:

PDB-Aquafina bottled water from the giant economy size plastic "carafe"....

Cheese & fruit plate with crackers after TO
A Pastry & fruit prior to landing

There should be GOGO on the flight, but if you want more than FaceBook, you will pay for it

The BR is available only in paid F, not for upgraded seats

You can use the F security lane

There is almost always just a curtain anymore, but it does mean you have more recline. The only time I have a problem with this row is when there is a crying baby behind me, but then the whole cabin gets to "enjoy" it.

rybob1 Feb 5, 11 10:38 pm


Originally Posted by Aspan (Post 15810955)
Greetings,
Tried searching the forum and did not find much.
Traveling on the red eye next week in F and was wondering what to expect? I have a morning meeting in MIA. i.e. pickup rental and head to the meeting. Does this flight serve dinner and/or breakfast?
Do all AS flights have Wifi?
Generally on time?
Access to the Boardroom?
F security line?
Also its seems I have 4d, is there a curtain or a bulkhead between Y and F?
Happy to reciprocate to anyone flying AC!

Thanks

I was in coach, so I can't answer your questions about F product, but I can offer this:
  • The flight will be a 737-800, so it will have Wifi.
  • Over the past 2 weeks, only once has the flight arrived later than scheduled, and that was by ~30 minutes.
  • F security lines are probably not going to be available that late at night. The F line is only for D security, and it is generally closed that late. You'll need to go to the A/B security line instead.
  • Paid F grants you access to the boardroom, which I believe is open in Seattle until 11pm???
  • Miami Airport is old, awkward and not very impressive. You'll arrive at an AA gate next to the eagle flights. If you're checking bags, in MIA you'll need to go downstairs, and be sure to turn right, and it was a ways down from the escalator. Rental car facility is offsite and you get there via a shuttle.

jackal Feb 6, 11 2:24 am

C security isn't open? C has an elite/F lane, IIRC.

MickeyB Feb 6, 11 3:41 am

The flight will serve a "snack plate" (fruit and cheese) after take-off and then some sort of light breakfast before landing. I usually sleep through breakfast, but I believe it is a pastry and yogurt. The pastry is warmed.

Yes, this flight will have wifi.

The boardroom is open until 10:30 PM, except for on Saturday when it closes at 7 (or 7:30?) PM.

If the C gates priority security lane is not open (which can happen late at night) - you can go down to the A/B/S gates and go through their priority security lane - it should be open to accomodate the Delta red-eyes.

In my past 3-4 transcon red-eyes, (SEA-MIA or MCO) there has always been curtain and never the wall.

jackal Feb 6, 11 4:36 am


Originally Posted by MickeyB (Post 15811951)
In my past 3-4 transcon red-eyes, (SEA-MIA or MCO) there has always been curtain and never the wall.

The transcons are virtually always on 737-800s, which [almost?] all have the curtain, so encountering a flight with a bulkhead wall separating F and Y will almost never happen.

I prefer the curtain, especially if I have to be in row 4. I love me some recline. And it's nice, of course, if you're stuck in row 6... :D

slopeboy40 Feb 6, 11 8:45 am

Just my 2 cents. I fly the SEA-MCO route every 2 weeks and I learned something once. I was booked in row 4 and when I got to the airport there had been an aircraft swap to a 700. Uh-oh, no row 4! My sad eyes and gold card got me moved to another seat in F at someone else's expense (the GA told me to be sure I was first on the plane, possession is 9/10's). Moral of the story, I NEVER reserve row 4 unless that's all there is.

Aspan Feb 6, 11 9:38 am

Thank you
FT is amazing
So does this flight leave from C or D?
It sounds like eat at SeaTac or the 13 coins

Cheers

Duckouttahere Feb 6, 11 11:48 am

If you want to be more comfortable, I would bring an extra cushion for the tush. AS FC seats don't have a lot of padding and trying to sleep on a redeye with hard seats can be difficult.

beckoa Feb 6, 11 12:49 pm


Originally Posted by Aspan (Post 15812976)
Thank you
FT is amazing
So does this flight leave from C or D?
It sounds like eat at SeaTac or the 13 coins

Cheers

When I took it in December it departed from the N gates... cut into my BR time :(

rybob1 Feb 7, 11 1:14 am


Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 15813906)
When I took it in December it departed from the N gates... cut into my BR time :(

No guarantee on what concourse it will leave from. beckoa left from N, I left from D5, and can easily be in C as well.

Bay Area Blue Feb 7, 11 8:58 am


Originally Posted by jackal (Post 15812090)
The transcons are virtually always on 737-800s, which [almost?] all have the curtain, so encountering a flight with a bulkhead wall separating F and Y will almost never happen.

I prefer the curtain, especially if I have to be in row 4. I love me some recline. And it's nice, of course, if you're stuck in row 6... :D

All current 73G and 73H aircraft have class divider curtains. All current 734 and 739 aircraft have fixed bulkhead dividers.

jackal Feb 7, 11 7:36 pm


Originally Posted by rybob1 (Post 15816783)
No guarantee on what concourse it will leave from. beckoa left from N, I left from D5, and can easily be in C as well.

Both of mine in January left from D: D10 the first time (IIRC) and D4 or D5 the second time.

MAH4546 Feb 7, 11 8:23 pm


Originally Posted by rybob1 (Post 15811304)
[*]Miami Airport is old, awkward and not very impressive. You'll arrive at an AA gate next to the eagle flights. If you're checking bags, in MIA you'll need to go downstairs, and be sure to turn right, and it was a ways down from the escalator. Rental car facility is offsite and you get there via a shuttle.[/LIST]

It is easily one of the nicest airports in the country. The problem is that Alaska Airlines operates into one of the few old gates left. The D, H and J gates are a whole other world.

beckoa Feb 8, 11 2:49 am


Originally Posted by jackal (Post 15822176)
Both of mine in January left from D: D10 the first time (IIRC) and D4 or D5 the second time.

Um... wasn't January MCO :p


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:42 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.