Wiki Posts
Search

Just Hit 75k on Segments...Any Others?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just Hit 75k on Segments...Any Others?

Just flew my 90th segment. For those of us who do a lot of NW travel this would appear to be the main way to reach 75k as the mileage won't add up quickly for 500 mile runs here and there.

Any others reaching on segments? I like that Delta and AA will count as well (among others).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
Just flew my 90th segment. For those of us who do a lot of NW travel this would appear to be the main way to reach 75k as the mileage won't add up quickly for 500 mile runs here and there.

Any others reaching on segments? I like that Delta and AA will count as well (among others).
Several have, as evidenced by postings in this thread.

Mods, you may wish to merge this thread.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dave1013
Mods, you may wish to merge this thread.
Eh--that thread seems to have developed strictly for posting the stats, whereas this one has the potential to incite some discussion as to the differences in qualification types. We like to let things grow organically around here.

I think we'll leave it for now.

(OP, feel free to post your stats in the linked thread, though!)

jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks Jackal. Yep, that was my intent... a discussion around the merits of 500 mile hops throughout the NW vs. ANC to DCA/BOS/EWR/MIA 7 or 8 times a year.

Duck
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks Jackal. Yep, that was my intent... a discussion around the merits of 500 mile hops throughout the NW vs. ANC to DCA/BOS/EWR/MIA 7 or 8 times a year.

Duck
Naw... its all about ANC-KOA via DCA
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire

Duck
Well, that's definitely how I made it. Throw out ORD, DCA, LAX and HNL this year and I have approximately 80 segments on QX. Revenue-wise, I'm somewhere around 8-9K.

Next year will likely be more of the same, though I do have trips to PSG, AUS, and MIA already planned and will eventually pop for another trip to HI sometime this year.

I'm not sure about the merits of 500 mile hops, but the benefits of being a Gold (and now 75K) are what keeps me flying, rather than driving the 144 miles door to door from my home to my office.

Dave
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Board Room
I hit 90 segments in late November. It's the only way I could have qualified for 75K as I am well short on AS/QX miles and AS/QX/Partner miles.

Glad you can qualify on segments!!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Best price for in-state fares is generally $60.70 per segment ($50 + fees), though they did have some $39 fares last year I think.

So from a pure segment run POV, you could do this for under $5500.

Looks like the most you could squeeze into one day would be 10 segments (SEA-GEG), but I don't know if AS would allow the bookings as they're all about 30 minutes apart.

Anyone tried that before?

Anyone know of some in state routings that would allow you to get more segments in per day? I'm thinking that you could make a few circles from SEA to all of the in-state airports, but I don't have the patience to use the website to figure this out
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Best price for in-state fares is generally $60.70 per segment ($50 + fees), though they did have some $39 fares last year I think.

So from a pure segment run POV, you could do this for under $5500.

Looks like the most you could squeeze into one day would be 10 segments (SEA-GEG), but I don't know if AS would allow the bookings as they're all about 30 minutes apart.

Anyone tried that before?

Anyone know of some in state routings that would allow you to get more segments in per day? I'm thinking that you could make a few circles from SEA to all of the in-state airports, but I don't have the patience to use the website to figure this out
You don't necessarily need to stay "in state" to get the dirt cheap fare. I did about 6 $49 PDX-SEA-RDM one-ways this summer. So, there might be some flexibility in adding PDX into the mix to maximize the number of segments possible in one day at a very low cost.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
As I sketch out business travel this year I think I'll make MVP Gold again based on segments. I'd like to add a few mileage runs to make 75k.

I've read a a bit of the advice posted in this forum and come up with the following:

1. Force Alaska's website to show more segments though multi-city routes.
2. Waiting for one of the $39/$49 one-way specials and also try the above.
3. Book Expedia Hotel/Flight Saturday/Sunday bookings with my spouse and both get status (and the mini-vacation), probably with my spouse going for either Delta/AA.

Anyone have any other advice? Also, for number three, any specific city-pairings that seem to do well? I'm based out of Spokane, but that's not always my location.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DragonMartini
As I sketch out business travel this year I think I'll make MVP Gold again based on segments. I'd like to add a few mileage runs to make 75k.

I've read a a bit of the advice posted in this forum and come up with the following:

1. Force Alaska's website to show more segments though multi-city routes.
2. Waiting for one of the $39/$49 one-way specials and also try the above.
3. Book Expedia Hotel/Flight Saturday/Sunday bookings with my spouse and both get status (and the mini-vacation), probably with my spouse going for either Delta/AA.

Anyone have any other advice? Also, for number three, any specific city-pairings that seem to do well? I'm based out of Spokane, but that's not always my location.
Well you can look up the fare rules, and see what connections are legal to maximize your routing. Sometimes you might need an overnight in an airport though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.