New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:00 am

Hi -

That must have taken place over the last 3 weeks. I was able to pull up availability for flights in Mid-October.

Is this also true with QF or JL?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
I just saw seats for 5th, 6th & 8th on BA. LAX-HKG.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:44 am

Thank you for the information in this thread and those that assisted with the questions i had.

Just booked my preferred itinerary in J thanks to you guys!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:16 pm

I'm using www.awardnexus.com and searching in QF/CX. I also use Qantas site and it still shows availability that's gone on BA.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Now that BA's effectively blocked close-in searches on CX, would next best be searching on CX site? TIA
No, because CX site will show awards that are not available to partners.

Use QF.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:02 am

I called American looking for a way to get to Asia in F on Cathay in Dec, since there was an equipment change and they downgraded us to J on AA DFW to NRT. American then tells me "This is strange, Cathay seems to be blocking me from seeing anything". Does this mean it is blocking BA and AA? If I find availability on Qantas, will AA not see it anymore?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sizook
I called American looking for a way to get to Asia in F on Cathay in Dec, since there was an equipment change and they downgraded us to J on AA DFW to NRT. American then tells me "This is strange, Cathay seems to be blocking me from seeing anything". Does this mean it is blocking BA and AA? If I find availability on Qantas, will AA not see it anymore?
Why are you asking a question about American Airlines in the Alaska Airlines forum? This thread is about using Alaska Airlines miles to book Cathay seats, not American Airlines miles.

I really haven't a clue? Hang up and call again. Random CS agents say weird things all the time that do not reflect reality.

Maybe ask in the AA forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ilability.html
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:05 am

It's Friday. AA just offered me several Y options in the next few days, or J/F next Tuesday. On CX. HKGPEK also available this weekend in J and F. So no apparent blocking whatsoever.

What WOULD be unusual would be any December award space, since you are between booking windows.

Jamie

EDIT - didn't realize guy posted in wrong forum.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Why are you asking a question about American Airlines in the Alaska Airlines forum? This thread is about using Alaska Airlines miles to book Cathay seats, not American Airlines miles.

I really haven't a clue? Hang up and call again. Random CS agents say weird things all the time that do not reflect reality.

Maybe ask in the AA forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ilability.html

Ooops Sorry! I reloaded the wrong forum page. I didn't mean to post it here.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooops Sorry! I reloaded the wrong forum page. I didn't mean to post it here.
No worries. jamienbaker's advice is solid regardless of which forum it's posted in.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Intend to go CNS/HKG stop - HKG/YVR stop - YVR/JFK on CX is this possible on one AS award ticket?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Limewood
Intend to go CNS/HKG stop - HKG/YVR stop - YVR/JFK on CX is this possible on one AS award ticket?
No. That's two stopovers on one one way ticket. You get one (you could get two stopovers on a round trip, one on outbound, one on inbound). Also, per the wiki, "There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover."
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: AA
First time redemption on AS award ticket on CX, JFK-HKG-KUL.

I'm surprised at the extremely long hold times to get to an agent. First call to an agent was at around 2pm eastern, was on hold for 30 minutes and told no J seats despite seeing it on QF website. Second call was at around 2am eastern (hello jetlag) and was on hold for 50 minutes. I was ready to give up when I got the agent who was very helpful.

J on JFK-HKG and PY on HKG-KUL and charged only 50k miles. I was told that if J opens up on HKG-KUL I can call back to upgrade for no extra miles/charges. BA has been down so I can't check availability, JL shows nothing since it's less than 4 days to the flight, QF shows almost exactly what the AS agent stated (J on the first segment, PY on the second). Asia Miles shows F but AS couldn't see it.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gameover98
Asia Miles shows F but AS couldn't see it.
AM shows additional availability not available to partners.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AM shows additional availability not available to partners.
I am aware of that. I just didn't want to spend 130k miles if I didn't have to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.