New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi Sungchiahao -

The phone booking fee apples to everyone. I think it is $12.50 each way.
$12.50 fee is the partner fee and applies to everyone. The phone booking fee I think you should be able to get waived for CX since you can't book it on the website but I haven't personally run in to that situation.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Ill have to see if i can make it work. I have an Emirates award booked that week and my boss wasn't too happy about me coming back for only a week then heading off to OZfest for 2 weeks. Now if i canceled my CMB trip and went to North Korea instead which would shave a week off my summer plans (Obviously cant tell her what country because that would be denied quick) Plus need to hurry and renew my passport so i can get my china visa
It should be an eclectic bunch of enthusiasts from around the world. FYI - Chinese visa not technically required due you're in PEK for transit. But I'm still getting one just in case. I'll have North Korean visa in hand, but my guess is most airlines have never seen one and may not believe it. So I wouldn't want CX to deny me at JFK.

Hope it works out for you, talk about bucket lists...

Jamie
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
It should be an eclectic bunch of enthusiasts from around the world. FYI - Chinese visa not technically required due you're in PEK for transit. But I'm still getting one just in case. I'll have North Korean visa in hand, but my guess is most airlines have never seen one and may not believe it. So I wouldn't want CX to deny me at JFK.

Hope it works out for you, talk about bucket lists...

Jamie
There have been reports on airliners.net about passengers on these tours using TWOV in Beijing on the way to and from North Korea. No reported problems.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:02 am
Suspended

Are you guys joking about visiting N Korea?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
There have been reports on airliners.net about passengers on these tours using TWOV in Beijing on the way to and from North Korea. No reported problems.
Categorically not a problem IME. I went to North Korea in August and most of the people on my tour used the TWOV in PEK without issue even though our tour company didn't provide us with our visas until we actually arrived in PEK.

That said, like jamienbaker, I ended up getting a Chinese visa. I figured I would be doing a few more visits in the next 10 years so it was worth getting the visa for peace of mind.

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Are you guys joking about visiting N Korea?
Why would they be? What's wrong with a visit to NK?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tng11
Why would they be? What's wrong with a visit to NK?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No joke about DPRK. I do plan on getting China visa since I like going to HKG and there are some cool day trips ex HKG (plus its a 10 year visa now)

Problem now is I cant find any CX award space out of Boston. I was going to do premium economy since its same number of points as AA Y but I can only find out of JFK.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CDKing
Problem now is I cant find any CX award space out of Boston. I was going to do premium economy since its same number of points as AA Y but I can only find out of JFK.
Keep checking, I was watching CX to and from BOS for a few days/weeks and space seemed to randomly come and go. Within a few weeks of departure plenty of space opened up, but I think that's hard to predict if that'll happen for any particular day.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Keep checking, I was watching CX to and from BOS for a few days/weeks and space seemed to randomly come and go. Within a few weeks of departure plenty of space opened up, but I think that's hard to predict if that'll happen for any particular day.
In mid-Dec, I redeemed one first class award out of BOS when there were non available on the four JFK flights, so yes, keep checking.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:13 am

I've been monitoring for F availability on ORD, as my group of 3 is planning to travel on Feb 4th. We nabbed 2 F back at T-330 and have 1 J that we are hoping to move to F. Currently the cabin is still F4, meaning that no new bookings have been made since we picked up those two seats.

ORD is looking pretty grim last minute though. I'm noticing a lot of close-in dates are at F4 availability and nothing is being released, whether it is within 3 days of departure or one week. Tomorrow's flight for instance was F2 when I last checked, and nothing is available. The 21st is F4 and nothing either. Whereas JFK has been comparatively more generous, with F3/F4 cabins releasing a few days in advance, and F2 releasing the day before departure with some consistency.

I'm not losing hope yet, but I'm left puzzled by this pattern on ORD. Worse comes to worse, my Dad can have my F seat and I'll slum it in J (12A).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by tng11
I've been monitoring for F availability on ORD, as my group of 3 is planning to travel on Feb 4th. We nabbed 2 F back at T-330 and have 1 J that we are hoping to move to F. Currently the cabin is still F4, meaning that no new bookings have been made since we picked up those two seats.

ORD is looking pretty grim last minute though. I'm noticing a lot of close-in dates are at F4 availability and nothing is being released, whether it is within 3 days of departure or one week. Tomorrow's flight for instance was F2 when I last checked, and nothing is available. The 21st is F4 and nothing either. Whereas JFK has been comparatively more generous, with F3/F4 cabins releasing a few days in advance, and F2 releasing the day before departure with some consistency.

I'm not losing hope yet, but I'm left puzzled by this pattern on ORD. Worse comes to worse, my Dad can have my F seat and I'll slum it in J (12A).
DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. I put together this ridiculous excel spread sheet (of flights and availability by day for a two week period prior to my flight to show patterns) and wow...starting 2 weeks out you will see constant changes. Start checking regularly (like stupidly obsessively) on 1/21. You will begin to see patterns each day. F4 will show availability at some point. I saw it with lots of flights out of LA within two weeks. I started my silly excel spread sheet on Jan 11 when looking for a F seat on 1/25. I checked each day for that day's availability and everyday in between so that I could see patterns. Around 8 pm and again at 8 am PST I could see where EF (expert flyer) showed F3 and BA (British air for award availability showed 0 and then all at once F3/1 F3 being Expert flyer and 1 being BA. i tracked this stuff each day for all flights. Interesting to watch patterns. Even flights with F2 (EF) would about 30% of the time have an F seat on BA about 36 hours out. I snagged an F seat for my daughter and I'm very pleased. Hang in there!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
Have a question about lounge access - flying LAX to HKG in F. On CX's website it says there is a One World First lounge and a Qantas First lounge. Is one preferable to the other? I am also an AS board room member, though it probably doesn't compare to the others.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smiem
On CX's website it says there is a One World First lounge and a Qantas First lounge.
They are the same lounge. QF operates the OneWorld F lounge at LAX.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:47 am
Suspended

How are you guys finding these flights? I have tried British Airways site but it won't even work properly. Looking for North America to Australia.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ou81two
How are you guys finding these flights? I have tried British Airways site but it won't even work properly. Looking for North America to Australia.
The BA site should return availability - split the booking USA-HKG and then a separate search for HKG-Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.