New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jamie has given the good advice.

I would add that, you can call CX to get the Row 11 for your daughter. Online it is blocked but calling in CX can assign it. I did this the past Sat on our flights where I am in F and husband in J. I got myself in 1A and him in 11A so it is easier for me to walk back to chat with him. No, he cannot walk up. CX is quite strict on that and for the right reasons. Though on the HKGA bound flight, there is some flexibility. You just need to play with ears and see if anything outside the norm could be accomplished. Just dont assume what you mentioned could be done.

Enjoy the trip.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Book a Y or Y+ if you can...if you're gold or 75k, you can change to J or F subject to availability without any charges or fees (except maybe tax differences).
I'm only an MVP, so I'll have to make due with paying the change fee--but at least $125 is a hell of a lot less than the cash price of J. But who knows, I might end up staying in Y+, at least if I end up making the stopover. I've done YVR-NRT in Y on AC and found it pretty tolerable for sleeping.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Jamie has given the good advice.

I would add that, you can call CX to get the Row 11 for your daughter. Online it is blocked but calling in CX can assign it. I did this the past Sat on our flights where I am in F and husband in J. I got myself in 1A and him in 11A so it is easier for me to walk back to chat with him. No, he cannot walk up. CX is quite strict on that and for the right reasons. Though on the HKGA bound flight, there is some flexibility. You just need to play with ears and see if anything outside the norm could be accomplished. Just dont assume what you mentioned could be done.

Enjoy the trip.
I'm disappointed that you are encouraging the OP to try something that would infuriate the other F pax. I can't speak for others, but if I saw this permitted, the first phone call I'd make upon landing would be to CX management, doing my best to ensure the termination of the offending FAs.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AS MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'm disappointed that you are encouraging the OP to try something that would infuriate the other F pax. I can't speak for others, but if I saw this permitted, the first phone call I'd make upon landing would be to CX management, doing my best to ensure the termination of the offending FAs.

I am glad I asked, thank you all for the input, I appreciate it. If I can't snag an award see in F for my daughter, I will not say anything and just pop back to see her once or twice. I certainly don't want to anger others or not follow proper etiquette.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I don't see how what Happy is advocating for would infuriate other F passengers (OP sitting in F and visiting daughter in J, not vice versa).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AS 75K
I don't see how what Happy is advocating for would infuriate other F passengers (OP sitting in F and visiting daughter in J, not vice versa).
I assume it was the "on the HKGA bound flight, there is some flexibility" line.

That being said, would having one J pax eat dinner in the F cabin really infuriate other people? I mean I guess it could lead to more talking than them not eating together, but unless you personally booked the other 5 seats there's a risk of two other F pax eating together and talking too.
(I'm assuming for the discussion that it could work to have the J pax eat J catered food and not the F stuff since that could actually have a direct impact)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
I assume it was the "on the HKGA bound flight, there is some flexibility" line.

That being said, would having one J pax eat dinner in the F cabin really infuriate other people? I mean I guess it could lead to more talking than them not eating together, but unless you personally booked the other 5 seats there's a risk of two other F pax eating together and talking too.
(I'm assuming for the discussion that it could work to have the J pax eat J catered food and not the F stuff since that could actually have a direct impact)
All that really matters is it is expressly forbidden, per CX crew that have opined on other threads on this most vile of topics.

But yes, it would infuriate ME. You're stealing (not YOU, personally). You're stealing time from the FAs, you're stealing space and atmosphere from the cabin, you're (potentially) stealing time in a lav you're not entitled to use. I see very little difference between having your J guest dine in F and you going into my wallet while I'm asleep.

But ignoring that, it is f-o-r-b-i-d-d-e-n.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:58 am

All that really matters is it is expressly forbidden, per CX crew that have opined on other threads
Reason enough, but...
stealing time in a lav you're not entitled to use
So she'd use the J lav. Problem solved.
you're stealing space and atmosphere from the cabin
...by sitting in the visitor seat that's already part of his allocated space?
on this most vile of topics.
Please tell me that was a joke. The hyperbole is only hurting your argument.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
Reason enough, but...So she'd use the J lav. Problem solved....by sitting in the visitor seat that's already part of his allocated space?Please tell me that was a joke. The hyperbole is only hurting your argument.
Just let go. It is not permitted. Stop trying to make excuses or justify why it SHOULD be permitted.

It is reprehensible to even consider a guest in F. It is a violation of policy. Should I use smaller words?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:13 am

Just let go. It is not permitted. Stop trying to make excuses or justify why it SHOULD be permitted.

It is reprehensible to even consider a guest in F. It is a violation of policy. Should I use smaller words?
I don't need to "let it go"--I wasn't arguing with you that it's not allowed. I'm saying that calling the very idea of a guest in F "vile" or "reprehensible" sounds a bit nutty.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
I don't need to "let it go"--I wasn't arguing with you that it's not allowed. I'm saying that calling the very idea of a guest in F "vile" or "reprehensible" sounds a bit nutty.
Understood. Just my opinion. There are some that believe stealing overhead space or putting bare feet on on a bulkhead is perfectly acceptable behaviour. I don't happen to agree.

As an aside, my family had 4 of the 6 F seats on a recent CX flight, the other 2 were unoccupied. Never would I have dreamed of inviting up a friend, even though the entire cabin "belonged" to us. But, to the extent there are vacant seats and once service has ended (meaning, the aircraft is well into its decent), I don't mind if they complete the parties in F so that families can disembark together. Singapore, IIRC, even has a policy of doing this.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Understood. Just my opinion. There are some that believe stealing overhead space or putting bare feet on on a bulkhead is perfectly acceptable behaviour. I don't happen to agree.

As an aside, my family had 4 of the 6 F seats on a recent CX flight, the other 2 were unoccupied. Never would I have dreamed of inviting up a friend, even though the entire cabin "belonged" to us. But, to the extent there are vacant seats and once service has ended (meaning, the aircraft is well into its decent), I don't mind if they complete the parties in F so that families can disembark together. Singapore, IIRC, even has a policy of doing this.
I find it just as "vile" when I am in paid F and they op-up the peasants from J to F and invade "my" cabin. I find it just as "vile" when people in F are on mileage redemptions, invading my space when they can't afford to.

Can we all move on? This cabin invasion has nothing to do with award availability.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by whimike
I find it just as "vile" when I am in paid F and they op-up the peasants from J to F and invade "my" cabin. I find it just as "vile" when people in F are on mileage redemptions, invading my space when they can't afford to.

Can we all move on? This cabin invasion has nothing to do with award availability.
Happy to move on. But first, I have to fill this bag with all the shrimp cocktail at this buffet I'm at, you see I crashed a wedding that I wasn't invited to. But that's ok, because I'm a classy guy that believes in taking things that don't belong to me. After this, I'm going to use a stolen credit card and take a cab to the airport. I'm flying Cathay in Y but I have a friend in F that assures me the crew will let me come up and hang out with him in a bit. Because it won't bother anybody.

Ok, NOW I'll move on.

- Mr Classy
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do whatever you want. CX probably would not give it a damn even if you are OW Emerald.

Originally Posted by smiem
I am glad I asked, thank you all for the input, I appreciate it. If I can't snag an award see in F for my daughter, I will not say anything and just pop back to see her once or twice. I certainly don't want to anger others or not follow proper etiquette.
Dont be intimated. The flight is supposedly to be enjoyable for you. Being polite and inquire is all you need. Nothing to fear and nothing to lose.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
I assume it was the "on the HKG bound flight, there is some flexibility" line.

Exactly. And our HKG friends have had exceptions made for them when the F cabin was not full. Friend is CX MPC Gold I believe, and grand daughter (grown up, in her twenties) is nobody on CX or any airline The young lady was allowed into F cabin for chatting with grand pa for a while and had a drink. Friend travels between HKG and LAX multiple times a year on paid tickets but generally only 50% of them are J tickets and . Op ups do happened though.

It is a bit of self-righteous to proclaim such would infuriate other F passengers. Most F passengers especially those who actually pay for the flight, could not care less as long as the "visits" were very discrete.

Originally Posted by whimike

There you go! Can't agree more!

Last edited by Happy; Jan 15, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
All that really matters is it is expressly forbidden, per CX crew that have opined on other threads on this most vile of topics.

But yes, it would infuriate ME. You're stealing (not YOU, personally). You're stealing time from the FAs, you're stealing space and atmosphere from the cabin, you're (potentially) stealing time in a lav you're not entitled to use. I see very little difference between having your J guest dine in F and you going into my wallet while I'm asleep.

But ignoring that, it is f-o-r-b-i-d-d-e-n.
If I ever found myself on a flight with you I'd invite an unknown stranger from J (or maybe even Y!) to dine with me purely because I know how much it evidently bothers you.

Seriously dude, there's much bigger things to worry about in life than "time" being "stolen" from an FA in the F cabin. If that's the biggest thing stressing you out, then you should consider yourself lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.