New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by gohan403
So how is it a stopover if its separate awards?
It isn't. HKG stopover is only permissible on a legal award routing. Otherwise you're just paying for two separate awards one ending in HKG and the other starting in HKG (even if they have the same ticket number)
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by gohan403
So how is it a stopover if its separate awards?
You can have a stopover in HKG if your destination is in Asia or Australia. Not Europe.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
You can have a stopover in HKG if your destination is in Asia or Australia. Not Europe.
Thanks that works
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I've got a CX award trip coming up via SFO (first time on CX!)....I'm assuming I will need to check-in at the counter in PDX rather than the kiosk, correct? Also, do the AS agents at PDX print-out the CX boarding pass (assume they do like other partner flights)?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:05 pm
Suspended

I've tried to find these awards via BA's site and it's really not easy. Is there another site that works better? Anyone have tips for finding flights there?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
I've tried to find these awards via BA's site and it's really not easy. Is there another site that works better? Anyone have tips for finding flights there?
Unless you pay for an award search service like Award Nexus, the BA site is one of the best *free* options. The key is persistence....I've had my CX award in premium economy (wanting J) since maybe February or March and J eventually opened up months later, but you literally have have to check once a week and then 8-10 times per day when you get within 7-14 days of departure....and you need to be quick too...the other day a J seat got taken while I was on the phone trying to book it.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:56 pm

Hi -

Yes, the agent in PDX will issue a boarding pass for all segments, including those on CX.

Assuming you are flying F or J, when you get to the lounge, the CX agent will issue new CX boarding cards.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Yes, the agent in PDX will issue a boarding pass for all segments, including those on CX.

Assuming you are flying F or J, when you get to the lounge, the CX agent will issue new CX boarding cards.
I've also had CX retag my bags with F priority tags ^
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Unless you pay for an award search service like Award Nexus, the BA site is one of the best *free* options. The key is persistence....I've had my CX award in premium economy (wanting J) since maybe February or March and J eventually opened up months later, but you literally have have to check once a week and then 8-10 times per day when you get within 7-14 days of departure....and you need to be quick too...the other day a J seat got taken while I was on the phone trying to book it.
Booking the day the awards come open is another good strategy for really tough routes.

Maybe I was lucky but I switched HKG-LAX to HKG-SFO a few days ago and the date I needed was available in J for all HKG-LAX flights and the SFO flight, even after I'd grabbed two of the HKG-LAX seats weeks earlier.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

You mean they retag them without you knowing? (Since the bags would be checked through from PDX and you wouldn't see them in SFO)
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Has anyone had luck booking CMB-HKG-ORD?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Originally Posted by beckoa

You mean they retag them without you knowing? (Since the bags would be checked through from PDX and you wouldn't see them in SFO)
They gave me the bag claims at the gate...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:36 am

Anyone know the latest that AS will let me book a CX award ticket? Starting to get a bit worried for my return ticket back to the US..
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:23 am

Hi -

The latest I have had is about four hours before the CX departure. I was in the AS boarding area with my PE CX seats PDX-YVR-HKG-KUL. Just as they started pre-boarding, CX released 6 seats in J. I called AS and just as they were closing the boarding door the agent told me they had cancelled my original award and rebooked me in J.

The latest I had with no reservation was about 18 hours in advance of departure. I was overseas, called AS on Skype and got everything booked.

Last edited by Orwaid; Dec 17, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

The latest I have had is about four hours before the CX departure. I was in the AS boarding area with my PE CX seats PDX-YVR-HKG-KUL. Just as they started pre-boarding, CX released 6 seats in J. I called AS and just as they were closing the boarding door the agent told me they had cancelled my original award and rebooked me in J.

The latest I had with no reservation was about 18 hours in advance of departure. I was overseas, called AS on Skype and got every booked.
Thanks for the data point, that is comforting! In the past I had never had trouble finding a ticket a few months in advanced, but this particular itinerary (simple HKG-LAX) is testing my patience with departure in less than a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.