New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:46 am

Hi everyone!
Trying to book 2 CX J seats with Alaska Airlines miles.

Flight:
HKG-LHR in July 2016 on CX 239 (leaving HKG at 1220):
BA.com shows 4 seats but Alaska Airlines could only see 1. I booked that one but still looking for another one. BA.com shows 3 seats now but Alaska still can't see it.

What's going on?

Is this normal? Will CX release another seat to AS (if yes, when)? Or should I just bite the bullet and book the other seat with Asia Miles (which shows plenty space).

Sorry if this is a noob question. I did a lot of research and thought if it shows on BA, AS should be able to book it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GwailoSIN; Dec 1, 2015 at 3:07 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:40 pm

Hi -

Availability for both AA and AS is less than availability for BA and JL. And they are less than what Asia Miles shows.

Your choices re basically book Asia miles seat now, or book a seat in Y+ (the default class now for most AS redemptions) and wait until 24-48 hours to see if they release more seats. That would require paying a change fee. Or you can walk the high wire without a reservation and see if a seat opens up (and not pay a change fee).
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Hi everyone!
Trying to book 2 CX J seats with Alaska Airlines miles.

Flight:
HKG-LHR in July 2016 on CX 239 (leaving HKG at 1220):
BA.com shows 4 seats but Alaska Airlines could only see 1. I booked that one but still looking for another one. BA.com shows 3 seats now but Alaska still can't see it.

What's going on?

Is this normal? Will CX release another seat to AS (if yes, when)? Or should I just bite the bullet and book the other seat with Asia Miles (which shows plenty space).

Sorry if this is a noob question. I did a lot of research and thought if it shows on BA, AS should be able to book it.

Thanks in advance!
Issues with booking multiple HKG-LHR seats have been noted in the AA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25796586-post3937.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25800030-post3940.html

Is there a reason why you needed to ask the same question in two threads?

For that matter... why do we have two threads on booking CX using AS miles? I imagine that is part of the confusion...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ska-miles.html
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Availability for both AA and AS is less than availability for BA and JL. And they are less than what Asia Miles shows.

Your choices re basically book Asia miles seat now, or book a seat in Y+ (the default class now for most AS redemptions) and wait until 24-48 hours to see if they release more seats. That would require paying a change fee. Or you can walk the high wire without a reservation and see if a seat opens up (and not pay a change fee).
I believe this is incorrect. Availability for AS should be the same as BA. If the agent doesn't see the seats that show on the BA site, it is an agent problem, not an availability problem. It can be solved by hanging up and calling again.

If BA still shows availability, call again. I have had this experience twice within the past three months. On both occasions, it took four phone calls, but both times I got my seats.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:59 pm

Hi -

My experience has been that 1 F award seat on BA.com does not show up for AS until 24-48 hours before departure. And 2 J seats.

Once you get to T-24/48, availability will open up provided they did not oversell Y and bump people up into Y+/J/F. SO if you have to be on a particular flight, you should book the Y+ seat that will probably be available, then pay a change fee (if you are not Gold) to upgrade your seat if it becomes available.

My last TPAC on CX I upgraded my seat 4 hours before departure. until then, no availability. All of a sudden, 5 J seats opened up.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: cathay sl
so I'm trying to figure out if this will work for me, I'm looking at booking Cathay J from YVR-JFK for May, when I go on the asia miles site to look for availability theres one seat available and the rest is waist list if I want 3 seats

Should I risk it and just buy the points and keep on hoping that more seats will open up come in the upcoming months. Last time I redeemed asia miles I did it in February and J seats were easy to come by.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by itr452
so I'm trying to figure out if this will work for me, I'm looking at booking Cathay J from YVR-JFK for May, when I go on the asia miles site to look for availability theres one seat available and the rest is waist list if I want 3 seats

Should I risk it and just buy the points and keep on hoping that more seats will open up come in the upcoming months. Last time I redeemed asia miles I did it in February and J seats were easy to come by.
Are you looking to use asia miles or alaska airlines miles because the availability is different for each since partner programs don't get the same seats as the airlines own programs. Just making sure you know if you posted in AS specific thread.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:28 am

yes sorry, I should have made it clear I was looking at using Alaskapoints to book CX, I thought thats how you could look at availability to book. I guess I'll just call in and ask them for the dates to see if they have any for 3 seats in J for May!

Cheers
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by itr452
yes sorry, I should have made it clear I was looking at using Alaskapoints to book CX, I thought thats how you could look at availability to book. I guess I'll just call in and ask them for the dates to see if they have any for 3 seats in J for May!

Cheers
Try BA or JL sites as Asia miles members have more availability than AS, AA and other partners do
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:43 pm

lol FML then, only one seat was available right now when I checked, I'll sign up for those sites then
thanks
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
JAL's partner search for members in the Americas is unavailable until late March 2016. No idea what they're doing that requires such a long outage.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kieron
JAL's partner search for members in the Americas is unavailable until late March 2016. No idea what they're doing that requires such a long outage.
AA deval which goes into effect late March 2016?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
As agent saying usa -eu stopover in hkg f on cx is 2 bookings at 140k total I thought it was free stopover for a total of 70k as.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by gohan403
As agent saying usa -eu stopover in hkg f on cx is 2 bookings at 140k total I thought it was free stopover for a total of 70k as.
AS does not offer a US-Asia-EU award on Cathay. If you read the award chart, you will see there is a US-Asia Award on Cathay, then a HKG-EU award. So it is two separate awards.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
So how is it a stopover if its separate awards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.