Why no Low Fare Calendar for Mexico flights?

Old Jan 6, 11, 5:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Why no Low Fare Calendar for Mexico flights?

Title pretty much says it all...I don't understand why the Mexico routes can only be searched on a +/- 1 day basis. AS just released a "fare sale" to Mexico (looks like regular prices advertised as a sale...). Would be nice to do a month long search and see what days have lower fares since I am quite flexible.
Old Jan 6, 11, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The ITA Software Matrix 2 fare calendar, constrained to AS flights, is a fine solution.
Old Jan 6, 11, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
Title pretty much says it all...I don't understand why the Mexico routes can only be searched on a +/- 1 day basis. AS just released a "fare sale" to Mexico (looks like regular prices advertised as a sale...). Would be nice to do a month long search and see what days have lower fares since I am quite flexible.
I find it pretty useless anyway. When it shows low fares and you look, and all the low fare options are overnights. Wish there was a way to exclude the long layover over night options!
Old Jan 7, 11, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnp012001 View Post
I find it pretty useless anyway. When it shows low fares and you look, and all the low fare options are overnights. Wish there was a way to exclude the long layover over night options!
See my handle...I'm no stranger to red-eyes! Often from ANC - international, I've been known to pull 2 consecutive red-eyes...most recently: ANC - SEA - DTW - DCA - ATL - ATH

Therefore, I find the low fare calendar immensely useful (since fare is a bigger factor for me than departure time), and see no logical reason why AS can't display it for Mexico routes.
Old Jan 7, 11, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
See my handle...I'm no stranger to red-eyes! Often from ANC - international, I've been known to pull 2 consecutive red-eyes...most recently: ANC - SEA - DTW - DCA - ATL - ATH

Therefore, I find the low fare calendar immensely useful (since fare is a bigger factor for me than departure time), and see no logical reason why AS can't display it for Mexico routes.
I've wondered this as well... could it be an issue with the way taxes are calculated or something odd like that- it was displayed the same way 'partner' fares were...
Old Jan 8, 11, 12:57 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
See the post directly above yours:

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The ITA Software Matrix 2 fare calendar, constrained to AS flights, is a fine solution.

In all seriousness, while there are limitations to the usefulness of the fare calendar, it is a HUGELY useful thing to me and one of my favorite tools among all travel websites. But then again, like ANC RED-EYE, my style of travel takes fare into account far above all other considerations. For others, it may not be nearly as useful.

And regarding ITA: it's a very flexible, useful tool that's definitely worth learning. IIRC, use the -redeye constraint to eliminate those results. (I might not be recalling correctly as it's never occurred to me to use that particular constraint. )
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:43 pm

Oh, Redeyes would be one thing, but more often than not the cheapest fare from PDX-Mexico, or even often places in the lower 48 will require something like arrive in LAX at 8PM, depart 8AM. Redeye OK, 12 hour layover, not ok!
Old Jan 8, 11, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Oh, Redeyes would be one thing, but more often than not the cheapest fare from PDX-Mexico, or even often places in the lower 48 will require something like arrive in LAX at 8PM, depart 8AM. Redeye OK, 12 hour layover, not ok!
Agreed. I usually try to avoid overnight stops, unless I can get in by dinner time to a city where I have friends I'd like to visit anyway. It is strange that a lot of the AS routings to Mexico work that way. Probably because I don't think they overnight any aircraft there, so in order to do a same day turn, they have relatively early departures that are difficult to connect to from some cities.

Search this Thread