FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   The Sobriety of Horizon (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1167552-sobriety-horizon.html)

JacksonFlyer Jan 3, 2011 10:53 am

The Sobriety of Horizon

This past month I found myself flying quite a bit between SEA and PDX as well as PDX/RDM and SEA/RDM and I noticed the lack of microbrews or wine being offered and I wondered if anyone else has encountered this?

Now granted, two of the six flights were around 10 in the morning, so I can understand the lack of service on those flights, but of the remaining 4 only one offered the beer and wine service and that was a flight between SEA and PDX. The other flights were PDX/RDM and RDM/SEA, one just offered coffee, juice and water the other flight, the attendants remained seated for the entire flight (RDM/PDX) and that trip was fairly smooth with regards to weather. I remember when I used to fly on the 200 series between PDX/RDM there would be two services on that 25 minute hop with one flight attendant. On the one segment where they did serve I overheard one of the FAs say to another passenger that it is a bit of a hassle to service beer and wine on short hops which I imagine it probably is.

So, is there a time with regards to duration of the flight that this service is not offered or is this more on the discretion of the FA? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the service I receive from Horizon but it was always enjoyable trying out some of the seasonal brews. More importantly, if a Q400 is going to fly SEA-SBA they better be well stocked.....and hopefully with more than beer.

davew-krdm Jan 3, 2011 11:10 am

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer (Post 15572923)
This past month I found myself flying quite a bit between SEA and PDX as well as PDX/RDM and SEA/RDM and I noticed the lack of microbrews or wine being offered and I wondered if anyone else has encountered this?

Now granted, two of the six flights were around 10 in the morning, so I can understand the lack of service on those flights, but of the remaining 4 only one offered the beer and wine service and that was a flight between SEA and PDX. The other flights were PDX/RDM and RDM/SEA, one just offered coffee, juice and water the other flight, the attendants remained seated for the entire flight (RDM/PDX) and that trip was fairly smooth with regards to weather. I remember when I used to fly on the 200 series between PDX/RDM there would be two services on that 25 minute hop with one flight attendant. On the one segment where they did serve I overheard one of the FAs say to another passenger that it is a bit of a hassle to service beer and wine on short hops which I imagine it probably is.

So, is there a time with regards to duration of the flight that this service is not offered or is this more on the discretion of the FA? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the service I receive from Horizon but it was always enjoyable trying out some of the seasonal brews. More importantly, if a Q400 is going to fly SEA-SBA they better be well stocked.....and hopefully with more than beer.

PDX-RDM is scheduled for water only, and that's often canceled due to turbulence. I too miss the days of the Q200, when we had the "abbreviated service" which did include beer/wine. The flight at that time was scheduled for 3 minutes longer - the Q400s are just too fast :).

SEA-RDM should have the full service with the exception of the 0605 flight to SEA, on which I've never been offered beer or wine. I have had beer on the (much later) morning flights.

Dave

CZBB Jan 3, 2011 12:03 pm

Seems to me it's a crap shoot. No beer/wine on a recent SEA-YVR, but I've actually had it on BLI-SEA (all 16 minutes of it)

makfan Jan 3, 2011 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB (Post 15573452)
Seems to me it's a crap shoot. No beer/wine on a recent SEA-YVR, but I've actually had it on BLI-SEA (all 16 minutes of it)

My last several SEA-YVR-SEA trips have been water only. It has changed from small bottles to cups. One recent YVR-SEA offered nothing. The forward flight attendant went to the back and didn't appear again until it was time to prepare for landing.

beckoa Jan 3, 2011 5:50 pm

just had beer on SEA-PDX... first time in 3 flights - seems there is often turbulance on this route...

glenny84 Jan 3, 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer (Post 15572923)

Heck, I couldn't even get a water on my last 3 PDX-SEA flights. :td:

burkestr Jan 3, 2011 10:49 pm

My favorite route(s).. SEA-PSC SEA-YKM have had the excuse for two years now... can only serve the water juice coffee.

and horizontal STILL taughts the free beer wine. that is what has always set them apart (besides the superb local crews) from the DL,UA guys.

please do not screw this one up. and, whenst departing for a holiday, what is wrong with a tiny cup of beer at 10????

b

JacksonFlyer Jan 3, 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by burkestr (Post 15577580)
My favorite route(s).. SEA-PSC SEA-YKM have had the excuse for two years now... can only serve the water juice coffee.

and horizontal STILL taughts the free beer wine. that is what has always set them apart (besides the superb local crews) from the DL,UA guys.

please do not screw this one up. and, whenst departing for a holiday, what is wrong with a tiny cup of beer at 10????

b

Well I guess that is my point and my question. I have flown between PDX/RDM this past year several times....sometimes they have beer, most times not. I fully understand the turbulence issue.....but most of the time, it was not an issue (at least by my standards I guess). That begged the question of whether it is a Horizon policy based on the length of the flight, the time of day or a FA driven decision or......?

....and I second the notion that a tiny cup of beer is enjoyable when you are on vacation.

maokh Jan 4, 2011 1:10 am

I wish "First one on us" worked on QX ... seems a bit inconsistent.

Points Scrounger Jan 4, 2011 10:08 am

I think "first one on us" with AS mainline flights was intended as a consolation prize for those elites unable to snag First Class seats.

My last PDX - SEA segment had service canceled for turbulence; BOI - PDX had full service, including a refill.

davew-krdm Jan 4, 2011 11:17 am

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer (Post 15577834)
Well I guess that is my point and my question. I have flown between PDX/RDM this past year several times....sometimes they have beer, most times not. I fully understand the turbulence issue.....but most of the time, it was not an issue (at least by my standards I guess). That begged the question of whether it is a Horizon policy based on the length of the flight, the time of day or a FA driven decision or......?

....and I second the notion that a tiny cup of beer is enjoyable when you are on vacation.

PDX-RDM is no longer scheduled for service other than water - so if you've had beer since the age of the Q200s, you've had a very, very friendly flight crew :).

Dave

johnp012001 Jan 5, 2011 11:05 am

I've never taken anything shorter than PDX-SEA, but while beer and wine have not always been offered, neither have they ever been refused when I asked. And who says you have to wait till 10! I was on the 0700 PDX-SFO, enroute to PVR, contemplating asking for a beer. The guy in front of me made it very easy for me when he ordered one up!

beckoa Jan 5, 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001 (Post 15588809)
I've never taken anything shorter than PDX-SEA, but while beer and wine have not always been offered, neither have they ever been refused when I asked. And who says you have to wait till 10! I was on the 0700 PDX-SFO, enroute to PVR, contemplating asking for a beer. The guy in front of me made it very easy for me when he ordered one up!

...It's 5' o Clock somewhere ;)

I've had beverages at all hours of the day on AS :D

shuckit Jan 5, 2011 1:43 pm

A couple of years ago beer was standard on the SEA-YYJ flight. I loved sipping on one while bumping along in the dark 12,000 ft above the Straight of Juan de Fuca. Now the water service is cancelled at the slightest hint of turbulence.

JacksonFlyer Jan 5, 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by shuckit (Post 15590166)
A couple of years ago beer was standard on the SEA-YYJ flight. I loved sipping on one while bumping along in the dark 12,000 ft above the Straight of Juan de Fuca. Now the water service is cancelled at the slightest hint of turbulence.

Then I say.....crack open a few bottles of beer and wine and pass it down the aisle turbulence be damned!! Of course, if it was severe turbulence then I suppose the bottle could pass itself down the aisle.;)