Rude Alaska Airlines Pilots

Old Dec 29, 10, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Rude Alaska Airlines Pilots

I was at the security line at SEA yesterday, waiting to go through the metal detector. 2 Alaska Air pilots show up and without saying a word, put their stuff in bins pushing them through the scanner and cut right in front of me. They went through the metal detector without saying "excuse me or thanks". A guy right behind me said "that is so rude" and I told the pilots that this is why I don't fly Alaska Air. They didn't even respond and just moved on.

I had a bad experience with AS before and seeing those rude AS pilots just confirmed that I should not fly AS.

Why is that all AS pilots seemed to be as*#&%@s!
Old Dec 29, 10, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Alaska Air Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 29, 10, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Alaska Airlines forum samuelhahn. It seems to be standard operations to have flight crews jump the security ques in the airports, and I'm sure has happened to most folks here more then once, by all sorts of airlines. Airport vendors tend to do this as well.

That being said, not sure this event would make most not want to fly a specific carrier again...
Old Dec 29, 10, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat Ambassador Program
This isn't limited to AS pilots (or any crew member for that matter!). All airline employees across the board from various operators cut in front with a majority of them not saying "thank you" or showing gratitude. If i'm lucky, i'll get a quick glance from them or a "can I cut in front?" comment.

That being said, I think it is rude -- a cut is a cut, nobody who you are there should always be a gesture of gratitude or a "thanks".
Old Dec 29, 10, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by samuelhahn View Post
I had a bad experience with AS before and seeing those rude AS pilots just confirmed that I should not fly AS.

All AS pilots? Surely you exaggerate. Crew usually cut to the front of the line, regardless of their employer. Sure they should say excuse me, but sometimes it isn't gonna happen, regardless as to the colors on the planes they fly.

...and if you base your flying decisions based on rude airline employees, I suspect you'd be taking Greyhound far more frequently than you actually do.
Old Dec 29, 10, 12:59 pm

The weather must be affecting everyone because there's some really edgy, off the wall posts in this forum lately! I am irritated by the airport minimum wage employee who jumps in to go through ahead of me not the guy or gal who's going to get me in the air and down again safely. If they get stuck in a security line, no one is going anywhere.

Last edited by So Cal Flyer; Dec 29, 10 at 4:04 pm
Old Dec 29, 10, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
The reason you don't fly Alaska is because of their rude pilots? I mean there are a number of reasons not to fly an airline from the interactions with the FA, lost baggage, response to complaints, food, etc.....many of which have been discussed in this forum, but rarely do I interact with the pilots except to pass them in the corridor. I have several friends who are AS pilots and even I don't get to interact with them that much when they are working even when they are the Captain of my flight.

I agree with you that it is annoying that airline employees seemingly "push" their way through the security line, even more annoying when there are several flight crews from a variety of airlines who all seem to show up at the same time and you have to wait.....but that is the way it is. I am sure it is equally annoying that the Pilot in Command and responsible for the safety of the aircraft has to go through the same security screening as passengers. That being said, a nice "excuse me" would be appreciated (but not really expected by me).

If you don't like Alaska that is fine but if your justification is that "all" of the pilots are rude.....well that is a bit of a reach.
Old Dec 29, 10, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I consider myself to be very polite and usually expect the same from those around me. (Needless to say I'm disappointed almost on a daily basis) However, in a case like this I would recommend asking yourself what (in the grand scheme of things) this means. To me it shows that the pilot (or crewmember in other instances listed above) either wasn't taught manners or chooses to not to show those manners. As a result, I'm just grateful that I haven't reached the point of being rude to those around me and I continue my day without skipping a beat because some "Negative Nancy" wants to express a negative attitude. :-)
Old Dec 29, 10, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

I guess I was over reacting on this. I was having a bad day. It appears that some airline employees need to taught some manners.

I agree that not all AS pilots are rude but my prior experiences (2 and only) with them were not that good. Hopefully, I'll run into better mannered AS pilots in the future.
Old Dec 29, 10, 3:16 pm

I was at the security line at SEA yesterday, waiting to go through the metal detector. 2 Alaska Air pilots show up and without saying a word, put their stuff in bins pushing them through the scanner and cut right in front of me. They went through the metal detector without saying "excuse me or thanks".
That does seem rude.

But to clarify, exactly what did they do? If there is space between a person filling their bins and the xray machine tunnel I'll put my bins there in front of them without a second thought.

In front of the magnetometer I'm either waiting for the guy to signal me to walk through or I'm walking through, there isn't much opportunity to get ahead of me without physically pushing me out of the way.

Where did the "cut" occur?

thnx.
Old Dec 29, 10, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA AS DL SPG Hyatt HHonors
Flight crews (pilots and FAs) and airport employees already get to cut the ID check line. In most cases if there are no more than 5-7 people in line at the baggage scanner, it really wouldn't hurt them to wait in that line, or at a minimum to be behind the last person who already has all their stuff ready to push into the scanner.

My experience is that pilots and often foreign flight attendants are polite and don't insist on cutting all the way to the front, and don't cut at all if the line is short, while U.S. airline FAs are most likely to cut all the way to the front and even when there are only a few people in line. It's like a little power trip.

I don't think there any difference between AS pilots and FAs and any other U.S. airline in how they treat this.
Old Dec 29, 10, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
A guy right behind me said "that is so rude" and I told the pilots that this is why I don't fly Alaska Air. They didn't even respond and just moved on.
assuming they heard you, I'm guessing their response would have been to thank you for flying someone else.

I agree, flight crews cutting the line is rude, but that's an industry-wide issue, not related to AS.
Old Dec 29, 10, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP
A similar frustration I've had is being in the express/MVP security line at PDX and then having a stream of 5-6 FAs and pilots move to the front, negating any benefit from the faster line. I think this has gotten a bit better now that you can go to any screener once you get to the ID checker.
Old Dec 29, 10, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Show me an airline pilot that doesn't have a God complex.
Old Dec 29, 10, 5:54 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Sorry but Ive never met a rude AS pilot.

GA, CSA, and FA from time to time yes....but I can say Ive never met a rude AS pilot

Search this Thread