Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

For non-elites, can gate agents process same-day paid standby?

Old Dec 12, 10, 10:09 am
Original Poster

from website/phone, the same-day paid standby is not available because the new (earlier than existing) flight is sold out. for non-elites, can she still go to the gate and try her luck just in case there is a no show on the new flight. so the question is, can a gate agent handle such a paid standby?
Old Dec 12, 10, 12:40 pm

My experience is yes. In the last year I've gone to an earlier flight a couple times, explained I'm on a later flight and asked if they could squeeze me in. It's worked once, and the other three times the flight was full (or I had luggage).

You can also do it online, with a couple stipulations I believe. The new flight has to be within six hours of your current flight, and not sold out. I was trying to fly early because I'd just found out my gf's mother had to go into surgery for cancer, and we were trying to get in a few hours earlier to make it easier on her folks. I'd continually click the change reservation button until it finally told me there was an open seat. It took about 90 minutes after the six hour window opened up.

Anyhow, depending on how desperate you are ...

Search this Thread