AS MP VS. Skymiles

Old Dec 9, 10, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starting over :( DL Silver National Exec, and Hilton Gold.
AS MP VS. Skymiles

Wow - so according my info box, I was last here in 2005. I took a couple of years off from the crazy travel life, but this year I am back in it. I hate the new Delta (was NWA before), but was wondering given that I fly about 75% of my flights on Delta but a fair amount on American, would I be better off using AAMP, eschewing my skymiles account (I am about to empty it to pay for a honeymoon), and easily getting status on AAMP?

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times in the last 5 years. I couldnt quite figure out what to search for.
Old Dec 9, 10, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Wow - so according my info box, I was last here in 2005. I took a couple of years off from the crazy travel life, but this year I am back in it. I hate the new Delta (was NWA before), but was wondering given that I fly about 75% of my flights on Delta but a fair amount on American, would I be better off using AAMP, eschewing my skymiles account (I am about to empty it to pay for a honeymoon), and easily getting status on AAMP?

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times in the last 5 years. I couldnt quite figure out what to search for.
jgold47, I'm assuming you mean you're considering posting to AS MP (AA referring to American and AS referring to Alaska), since you're posting in this forum. I'm going to edit the thread title to avoid confusion among members posting here.

jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Old Dec 9, 10, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Crediting points to Alaska would be the only option if you want to combine points between flights on DL and AA into one account.

Elite status on AS will get you most of the same benefits on DL as you would as DL elite (except lower on the upgrade list). No benefits when flying AA at this point except earning frequent flyer points.
Old Dec 9, 10, 9:48 pm

Programs: MVP, Hertz Gold, IHG Gold Elite
Most of my travel is on AA and DL which is why I put my miles into AS MVP. I used to have accounts on both DL and AA and I'd never get enough miles in one or the other of them to really do me any good. By combining them I've hit MVP this year and will hit my mileage for MVPG on Dec. 23rd flying an AA flight back from FLL. Now that the Delta deal is in place it's an even better deal and is AS gets the deal with AA sorted out then I'll be golden.

In short, I think it's a good way to go.
Old Dec 10, 10, 12:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
One caveat is that since you're Detroit based, you're in a fortress hub where upgrades are going to be very few and far between for you on Delta. As an AS elite, you'd be at the bottom of the list below even silver medallions when flying DL.

If mileage accrual and redemption is more important to you, though, AS is totally the way to go... just realize that upgrades will be scarce on many major Detroit routes if that's what's important to you.
Old Dec 10, 10, 2:09 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Last year I went down the road you are considering, there are no regrets.

I am a leisure off hours T fare flyer so I am going to be bottom of the upgrade list either way. I now consider AA and DL options with equal weight, greatly improving my acceptable travel options. Alaska service is also superb, I can not think of an interaction I have had where they failed to impress.

I think it really comes down to the amount of flying you are going to do. If you would only hit DL Silver, Alaska is a no brainer.

If you could get DL Gold, it comes down to what you want out of a mileage program. If upgrades go for Delta, if ease of award travel Alaska.

Search this Thread