Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 MVPG Guest UG certs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K
My experience has been that if you're not a Gold yourself, the certs usually get collected. I've only been Gold for a couple of years and prior to that would occasionally get some certs from friends, but they were typically collected. YMMV
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Possibly so, but I wonder if they will even bother to spend the time, effort, energy, and money to retrain and reprogram their systems to handle physical certificate collection when it's just going to go electronic anyway.

I've been asked for exactly 0 certificates this year. I still have the two I was gifted in August.
My experience has been similar, but with a twist. When traveling without luggage, checking in and gathering my boarding pass at the kiosk (not allowed to print them at home - told to check with agent at airport), I'm never asked for my certs; however, when traveling with luggage, I was asked every time (since I had to interact with an agent).
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Tall Travel Dude
My experience has been similar, but with a twist. When traveling without luggage, checking in and gathering my boarding pass at the kiosk (not allowed to print them at home - told to check with agent at airport), I'm never asked for my certs; however, when traveling with luggage, I was asked every time (since I had to interact with an agent).
You shouldn't be able to check in a a Kiosk when using a cert.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Smile Newbie Question

Forgive my relative inexperience, but living in England - Alaska airlines will be a new experience for my wife and I when we fly with them from PVR to LAX in March. I have no status on Alaskan and we will be flying coach. If I could get hold of two First Upgrade certificates, would I be eligible to use them? What is the best way of getting hold of them? Could I simply pay for an upgrade at Check-in? Many thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
If 'U' class space is available for your flight, then you can use the certs. You don't personally need any status. Just call Alaska and tell them you'd like to use two of them. If U inventory is available then they'll confirm you in F and you'll be asked to present the certs upon check-in at the airport.

Paid upgrades at the airport are possible, but unlikely.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by hgdf
If 'U' class space is available for your flight, then you can use the certs. You don't personally need any status. Just call Alaska and tell them you'd like to use two of them. If U inventory is available then they'll confirm you in F and you'll be asked to present the certs upon check-in at the airport.
I don't have any certificates yet - but the impression I'm getting is that I can 'phone Alaskan now and ask if U inventory is available, if so, get wait listed, and then I just need to get hold of the certificates between now and march. If no inventory available, I don't need to go hunting for the certificates. Is this right?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by pjh981
I don't have any certificates yet - but the impression I'm getting is that I can 'phone Alaskan now and ask if U inventory is available, if so, get wait listed, and then I just need to get hold of the certificates between now and march. If no inventory available, I don't need to go hunting for the certificates. Is this right?

You're mostly right. You can't "wait list" with the certs. U space has to be available at the time you request it, and if it is you can confirm it right away. If not, it might open up as the date draws nearer.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by pjh981
If I could get hold of two First Upgrade certificates, would I be eligible to use them? What is the best way of getting hold of them?
Oh, and another thing about the certs. They're only given away to Alaska Gold level members. They're fully transferable, but aren't supposed to be sold, or bartered. That being said, they do pop up from time to time on Coupon Connection, but typically towards the end of the year as their expiration date draws near.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
Originally Posted by baliktad
Since 2011 certs have already been distributed, perhaps we'll have one last reprieve next year.
I have NOT received any 2011 certs yet. Made GOLD for 2011 around summer 2010 and got 4 certs then.....but turns out then only sent me 4 more for 2010.

Did not catch it at the time and only realized what happened when I read on this board that the same thing happened to them. I believe others tried to call Gold desk to ask for 2011 certs but was not successful since they were going electronic in 2011.

Do we know yet if e-certs are official for 2011?
If no e-certs then any suggestions for how to get the ones I am due?

Mahalo
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by UFgatorgal
I have NOT received any 2011 certs yet. Made GOLD for 2011 around summer 2010 and got 4 certs then.....but turns out then only sent me 4 more for 2010.

Did not catch it at the time and only realized what happened when I read on this board that the same thing happened to them. I believe others tried to call Gold desk to ask for 2011 certs but was not successful since they were going electronic in 2011.

Do we know yet if e-certs are official for 2011?
If no e-certs then any suggestions for how to get the ones I am due?

Mahalo
I'm in the same place as you. Requalified in June and received more 2010 certs, when i try and call i get told they have not been sent out yet, so i'm not sure whats true
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dabears1020
The jig is up for certs soon anyway. It's kind of an elephant in the room around here, but I know most FTers are probably less than excited about them going electronic.
there might be a reason why ive never sat in coach for almost 2 years straight.

but the difference is, i have them ready for collection.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
BTW, mine haven't come yet, but I heard the 2011 gold cert codes are now using two letters and two real words to thwart cert fraud.

Its: I/M Lye Ing

I haven't had that much luck with it though, they just hang up on me.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:50 pm
AAL

My certificates arrived today. I just made MVPG in mid-December and the certs arrived with my welcome letter.

So, if I understand the system correctly, it makes more sense to purchase the cheapest fare available and call for an upgrade (and possibly relinquish the certificate), than to pay the higher fare for U space.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AAL
My certificates arrived today. I just made MVPG in mid-December and the certs arrived with my welcome letter.

So, if I understand the system correctly, it makes more sense to purchase the cheapest fare available and call for an upgrade (and possibly relinquish the certificate), than to pay the higher fare for U space.
Well one does have a limited amount of paper upgrade certificates avail...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
If AS goes the e-cert route, wouldn't they automatically show up in your account once the system recognized you as a gold?

I haven't received my gold packet yet, but I qualified a few days ago. I'll be sure to post an update once I get the packet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.