Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
AS does not allow mixing of partners. The only mixing allowed is they will get you to the US gateway city on AS/QX so you can hop on the partner flight.
There's an important BUT to be added to this that I didn't see added:

For the purposes of AS Mileage Plan, AF and KL are considered ONE airline (and thus awards involving both of them are not considered mixing partners). So you could potentially do:

SEA-LAX-CDG//AMS-LAX-SEA as an open-jaw on AF/KL.

This is the only case where you can "mix partners".
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BOB W
What I'm refering to is if you have already flown the outbound, you are not charge anything on that. The fees only accrue on the return ticket segments. Is that not correct?
From what i understand since when booking RT, the trip is priced as two one ways. Changing the return only reprices the return portion at todays rate. Changing the outbound portion reprices the outbund at todays rate. Bob is thinking AS will reprice the outbound and return if a change is made before departure.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There's an important BUT to be added to this that I didn't see added:

For the purposes of AS Mileage Plan, AF and KL are considered ONE airline (and thus awards involving both of them are not considered mixing partners). So you could potentially do:

SEA-LAX-CDG//AMS-LAX-SEA as an open-jaw on AF/KL.

This is the only case where you can "mix partners".
I never expected AF and KL to be considered one airline for awards. I always thought Delta and KLM were kind of put together since they codeshare so much. I was trying to figure out how to get to Bristol, UK from BOS but every rev ticket on DL is BOS-AMS and KLM AMS-BRI. Most other locations are the same. I guess i should be calling Air France? (not that i look AF doesn't require codeshare to get where i'm going)
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Hi everyone! I am a newbie on this forum and thread thing..so can we talk on any topics? travel,flights,hotels or computer stuff?

Last edited by smartfoxxy; Nov 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:04 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by smartfoxxy
Hi everyone! I am a newbie on this forum and thread thing..so i really dont know how it works. Is there a way we can post some pictures in this site like heart,rose,etc?
Welcome to FT and the Alaska Airlines Forum smartfoxxy! Glad to have you here

Yes, you can show pictures on Flyertalk, but you will need to upload your picture somewhere first like Flickr, Photobucket, etc. If you do not want to sign up for an account or you want to use something simple and quick, then I would recommend this site:

TinyPic

Once you upload your picture at Tinypic you will see four different "addresses", use the second one, which is designated for Forums and Message Boards. Just copy and paste the IMG Code to your post and your picture should appear!

Image codes typically will show up as [img]http://......[/img ]

Feel free to use this thread as a testing ground and upload a random picture
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by smartfoxxy
Hi everyone! I am a newbie on this forum and thread thing..so can we talk on any topics? travel,flights,hotels or computer stuff?
This thread is designed to help people find answers, learn more about the program the thread is situated in [in this case all things Alaska Airlines], introduce new members to FlyerTalk, etc.

On FlyerTalk you can literally talk about anything, just find the appropriate forum for your topic, for instance:

All things Delta Airlines, go to the Delta Forum, including flights on Delta Airlines.

Want to talk about exotic food, go to the DiningBuzz! Forum.

Want to talk about Hotels, go to the respective Hotel Rewards Program Forum.

Want to talk about travel technology or computers go to the Travel Technology.

We also have the OMNI where you can literally talk about anything unrelated to miles, travel, etc!

If you are unsure whether your topic belongs in one place or not, feel free to ask, and we will be more than happy to recommend the appropriate forum for your topic

Last edited by golfingboy; Nov 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm Reason: Fixing a screwed up FT :P
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a not so newbie but have several questions:
1. I am looking at buying a ticket from MSP-LAS with stops in SEA and LAX in F (with the flight msp-sea and lax-las on delta) and on the alaska air website it said that the fare is fully refundable so does that mean that the delta fare will be an F fare?
2. Will I get any sort of lounge access at any of the airports?
3. Will an hour and a half be enough connection time in both SEA and LAX (summer flights)

Thanks
Delta747
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta747
I'm a not so newbie but have several questions:
1. I am looking at buying a ticket from MSP-LAS with stops in SEA and LAX in F (with the flight msp-sea and lax-las on delta) and on the alaska air website it said that the fare is fully refundable so does that mean that the delta fare will be an F fare?
2. Will I get any sort of lounge access at any of the airports?
3. Will an hour and a half be enough connection time in both SEA and LAX (summer flights)

Thanks
Delta747
1) The fare is fully refundable but you need to check the reservation details in case any of the flights are in the coach cabin which can happen. If so look at a different flight. Reservation details screen is after you pick flights but before you get to where it asks you to sign in

2) You will get access to Boardroom in SEA and LAX on paid F

3) Ive never connected from other airlines in SEA and never been to LAX so i cant help there

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 3, 2010 at 9:35 pm
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:21 pm

3. Will an hour and a half be enough connection time in both SEA and LAX
SEA - DL uses the S concourse, so take the satellite train to the main terminal, then hop on another train to the north terminal station. The BR is close to the north terminal station... You have plenty of time, but can't spend a lot of time in the BR...

LAX - You can probably visit the BR for a max of 30 minutes, then you have to go to gate 39 to catch the shuttle to terminal 5... That is cutting it tight since on a good day it will take you about 30 minutes to get to T5... Probably best if you do not spend more than 15 minutes in the LAX BR. Just enough time to grab a quick drink and a cup of soup.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
1) The fare is fully refundable but you need to check the reservation details in case any of the flights are in the coach cabin which can happen. If so look at a different flight. Reservation details screen is after you pick flights but before you get to where it asks you to sign in

2) You will get access to Boardroom in SEA and LAX on paid F

3) Ive never connected from other airlines in SEA and never been to LAX so i cant help there

Just looked up the fare basis code and for all three flights it said FASR and under class it said first. So I know it is in first class and now I would just like to know if the delta flights would book into the F booking code. Thanks for the quick reply.

Delta747
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:25 pm

Just looked up the fare basis code and for all three flights it said FASR and under class it said first. So I know it is in first class and now I would just like to know if the delta flights would book into the F booking code. Thanks for the quick reply.

Delta747
Yes... The first letter of your fare basis is your fare code... So, yes it is F, ASR has to do with fare rules... When you buy the most expensive fully refundable fare it will just say F0 or Y0, which means literally no rules

F looks horrible every where, except on a BP
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass

Delta747
if it is an AS coded and issued flight on DL, then no one can say for sure what code it would be booked into for the Delta PNR. The best way to find out would be to call Alaska reservations and ask. On the other hand, it is definitely fully refundable, so you could book it, and if you don't like the fare code for Delta, you could cancel, refund, and look again to see if you can find what you are looking for. I am not very familiar with Delta's fare codes...except T
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, AAdvantage
Secret/obscure ways to get EQMs?

Howdy! Total n00b here, although I've been lurking for a while, thanks to Google.

Gots a quick question:
I just made MVP, and will be pretty close to MVPG by the end of the year (3000-4000 short). I know American Air has an end of year "challenge" which can catapult you into the next tier by pro-rating the mileage necessary (of sorts).

Does Alaska have anything similar? Any other ideas on ways to make up the extra miles?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:57 pm

Thanks everybody for the answers!
I have one more question:
Will I Be able to check-in for my flights MSP-SEA (delta) SEA-LAX (Alaska) LAX-LAS (delta) all at MSP or will I have to check-in at every airport?

Delta747
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by valor
Howdy! Total n00b here, although I've been lurking for a while, thanks to Google.

Gots a quick question:
I just made MVP, and will be pretty close to MVPG by the end of the year (3000-4000 short). I know American Air has an end of year "challenge" which can catapult you into the next tier by pro-rating the mileage necessary (of sorts).

Does Alaska have anything similar? Any other ideas on ways to make up the extra miles?
Valor, welcome to FT and the Alaska Airlines Forum!

AS has conducted a challenge the last few years. It targets people who, like you, just can't quite get over the hump. For the Gold challenge they want you to fly eight segments between mid-January and mid-March; for MVP, it's four segments (at least that is how it's been done in the recent past). It is announced on or about January 15. Normally AS has issued invites to customers who fit the parameters. So you may get an invitation to register without having to do anything.

The challenge will be well-chronicled here, so stay tuned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.