Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Cholula
Originally Posted by YLW
Thank you! Very interesting. Because companion certs work with First Class tickets, and the companion normally receives full mileage credit, would the 1.5 X EQM also apply for the companion?
Yes. I've traveled on a FC Companion certificate a number of times and I've received 1.5 X EQM every time.
I've never convinced anyone I'm traveling with to 'pony up' to F...

Decent value IMO...
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by beckoa
I've never convinced anyone I'm traveling with to 'pony up' to F...

Decent value IMO...
I would pony up for F if we are flying from the east coast to Hawaii in F DCA-OGG in F is the same price as SEA-OGG
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I would pony up for F if we are flying from the east coast to Hawaii in F DCA-OGG in F is the same price as SEA-OGG
Alright we'll do it sometime
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Well, its close but not exactly the same. The longer haul(most east coast and AK) first class fares to Hawaii connecting in SEA are usually ~ $700 ($676 or $701 before taxes) while the SEA-OGG or HNL first fares are about $550. Still a deal for a x-country first flight for only an additional $150.
For example:
11/14
DCA-OGG -- $701+
SEA-OGG -- $551+
Some other cities like MCO are more, usually ~$800++.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Plat, DL Plat, FB Plat, UA 1P, VA Plat, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Redeeming Mileage Plan

I'm kind of new to Mileage Plan, trying to figure out a couple things.

Firstly, are you allowed to mix and match as many partners as you want for an award?
From looking at the award chart its kind of confusing, each partner has their own required mileage...

Secondly, can I fly BA, North America-Australia using Mileage Plan? That would be the ultimate in value for miles...

Thanks for any tips.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aussieflyer
Firstly, are you allowed to mix and match as many partners as you want for an award?

Secondly, can I fly BA, North America-Australia using Mileage Plan? That would be the ultimate in value for miles
AS does not allow mixing of partners. The only mixing allowed is they will get you to the US gateway city on AS/QX so you can hop on the partner flight.

You can't do a BA award to Australia either. I wish you could since i'm trying to get there from BOS. It would be so much quicker for me to fly through Europe. The Australia awards are US-Australia and US-Asia - australia. the only airlines allowed are, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Air Pacific, Delta & Korean Air (With Korean Air's blackout dates make it almost impossible)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
fs

From looking at the award chart its kind of confusing, each partner has their own required mileage...
You are limited to one partner plus Alaska/Horizon.

Secondly, can I fly BA, North America-Australia using Mileage Plan? That would be the ultimate in value for miles...

Thanks for any tips.
As in flying North America-London-Australia? BA is not listed on Alaska's Australia pricing page. The partner desk may be able to book it for you as two awards with two fuel surcharges, that is a total shot in the dark though.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Just to provide further clarification, you book a round-trip award on a single partner carrier (i.e. Cathay Pacific OR Qantas OR Korean)--no mixing and matching, as described above. Where Alaska comes in is: If you cannot find a flight on the partner carrier leaving directly from your originating city, then Alaska will provide you with a connection to the international departure gateway. For example, if you are looking to fly Qantas from Anchorage, since Qantas does not serve Anchorage, the Partner Desk agents will book you on Alaska to LAX or San Francisco and then Qantas from there to Sydney. This does not cost any more mileage.

Unfortunately, the award option between North America and Australia on British was pulled about two or three years ago. I was fortunate to have been able to book it before the award was removed, and it was indeed quite the experience (and an exceptional value). However, I look forward to trying Cathay one of these days, since reportedly their product is superior to BA's. Cathay would still be an excellent value.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
As in flying North America-London-Australia? BA is not listed on Alaska's Australia pricing page. The partner desk may be able to book it for you as two awards with two fuel surcharges, that is a total shot in the dark though.
BA awards NA to Australia went bye bye in 2008. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ustralia+award
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass

Thanks for any tips.
As others have pointed out, you can use AS/QX to get to the gateway city, but cannot combine various partners in one award. The agents tend to get pretty creative on finding those routes and gateway cities...and don't forget stopovers are allowed on most award reservations...there's nothing stoping you from making a non traditional city (AUS, SAN, MCO) your gateway city and visiting friends on your way... Lastly, there is speculation that we may see one way award options with some partners in the future. I would guess maybe Delta and American, but likely not the international carriers. This might make it easier to find space via one way tickets to Europe or Latin America and essentially do a combined itinerary as separate one-ways...however, this remains to be seen.

As for your second question, I think that this used to be possible, but was removed as an option 2-3 years ago. I'm sure our moderator jackal will pipe in here, as I believe he did the BA award to AUS via London in the past. (Edit: looks like he beat me to the punch).
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Lastly, there is speculation that we may see one way award options with some partners in the future. I would guess maybe Delta and American, but likely not the international carriers. This might make it easier to find space via one way tickets to Europe or Latin America and essentially do a combined itinerary as separate one-ways...however, this remains to be seen.
Yeah, I hope AS can make this happen with DL/AA and allow us to mix cabins [J outbound Y return, etc]

Another tip to help find award space [especially in the premium cabin], is AS allows open-jaw itineraries as long as it is on the same airline and both cities are in the same zone...

I.E. I booked LAX-LHR on the outbound and FRA-LAX on the return on DL.

It is very common to find award space on the outbound, but the return is not available or the other way around. So, by using the multi-city option it makes it easier to find award space.

Last edited by golfingboy; Nov 2, 2010 at 10:44 am
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up

OK, folks, we've got a bunch of enthusiastic, eager Ambassadors and other helpful forum members cruising through this thread like piranhas looking for fresh meat.

Let's feed them some additional questions before they start gnawing on each other.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Cholula
OK, folks, we've got a bunch of enthusiastic, eager Ambassadors and other helpful forum members cruising through this thread like piranhas looking for fresh meat.

Let's feed them some additional questions before they start gnawing on each other.
Are you saying our forum is TOO helpful?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
OK, in the spirit of the recently-concluded World Series, I'll dish up a hanging curveball:

I've done what I consider my best to divine the meaning of most of the acronyms used here on FT. One, however, still has me befuddled and that would be the acronym FO. It apparently has something to do with elite status on Delta. However, when I went to the DL web site and looked up their elite statuses, I could find no reference to FO or anything in long form that would contract to such an abbreviation.

So, please advise what FO stands for.

I've started the clock. It's ticking.....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:10 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa\'s PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by dave1013
OK, in the spirit of the recently-concluded World Series, I'll dish up a hanging curveball:

I've done what I consider my best to divine the meaning of most of the acronyms used here on FT. One, however, still has me befuddled and that would be the acronym FO. It apparently has something to do with elite status on Delta. However, when I went to the DL web site and looked up their elite statuses, I could find no reference to FO or anything in long form that would contract to such an abbreviation.

So, please advise what FO stands for.

I've started the clock. It's ticking.....
This is DL's internal code for Silver Medallion, their base elite tier. Back in the day it is rumored to originate from Flying Orchid, DL's first elite program of sorts. But well before my time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.