Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

Old May 14, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Based on an original post by flyer206

I summarized a few posts on the companion fare. I initially had some questions and went through some of the posts as well as asked Missydarlin. So I thought I would post it for future people. If there is something incorrect or perhaps is useful for the next person please add or let me know.

Extending a companion fare
Tickets must be booked by the expiry date but can be for travel up to 330 days in advance. So book 2 full-fare tickets (coach fare only with new certificates issued after Aug. 1, 2012) for travel 11 months in advance to any destination on AS. When you have decided when and where you want to go, call AS to change the tickets. Since the tickets are full-fare or first class the changes will be no charge. The tickets can be changed to a lower level ticket including hot fare and the destination can be changed as well. If the tickets are cheaper then the amount will be refunded to the same credit card.
However, the ticket can not be extended for another 330 days. Meaning, you can not keep on extending the companion certificate. Hence travel must be completed within the initial 330 day window of when you booked your initial ticket.
The business companion fare however is different. Travel must be completed by expiry date although it is said that they may let it slide for 30 days.
Business companion fare expiration question

One of the travelers can not go
If the revenue passenger can not go then the companion passenger can not go. The T&C of the companion fare is that the companion must travel with the revenue passenger. Changes can be made by calling AS but change fees apply. Changes can now be done on-line. If the companion passenger can not go, the revenue passenger can still go. If you want to use the companion certificate another time, a call has to be made to AS.
Name changes are allowed but must be called in for change and is subject to change fee($125 --exempt if the name change involves a passenger who has status).

Should status flyer be the revenue or companion ticket.
Since the companion ticket is dependent on the revenue ticket, the status flyer should be the companion fare unless the tickets are in full fare or first class. Why? If the companion traveler can not fly the companion coupon can be saved for future use. The status passenger is allowed to make changes at no charge. THERE IS DEBATE ABOUT THIS ANSWER

Do I have to be one of the passengers flying?
No, the T&C states that you must either be one of the passengers or the credit card booking the tickets be in your name. One poster mentioned that he did not travel or use his credit card when he let his father use it. However it that case I believe they shared the same last name.

Do you have to use the AS airline credit card when booking the companion fare?
Through September 30, 2019, no. "For companion fares issued on or after October 1, 2019, both the primary fare and the companion fare must be purchased using your Alaska Airlines credit card." Exceptions: Fare can also be paid with your Wallet funds or AS Gift cards.

Does the companion fare accrue points.
YES, both tickets accrue points on any frequent flyer plan that gives out points on AS flights ie AS, AA, DL, CX, BA etc

Is the companion fare upgradeable?
YES, depending on first class upgrade (U) inventory and by priority based on the status of the traveler. There has to be 2 upgradeable seats available. If using paper certificates there has to be 2 certificates. Both travelers must upgrade or none at all. At T-24, you will be added to the flight upgrade list upon checkin per normal procedure and upgrades will process in the usual order of priority.
companion fare and upgrade question

When will I get my Companion certificate? 
As soon as you get approved for the credit card the certificate will appear in your Alaska airline online account. As of June 2016, the initial companion fare will post shortly after the statement where you reach the minimum spend (currently $1000) closes. Another will appear around the 1 year anniversary of your credit card. JULY 2020 UPDATE: spend is now $2,000 within 90 days.

Cancelling a companion fare
Rebook=kept in system however change fees may apply based on fare purchased.
Refund=gone

What class of fares can be booked?
All fares can be booked from "hot fares" to "first class" but only on Alaska/Horizon operated flights. It is not eligible for AA, DL etc operated flights. (coach fare only with new certificates issued after Aug. 1, 2012). You cannot purchase F but you can upgrade to F after purchase or try your luck at free upgrades if you have status.

Can the companion fare be used on a one-way, round trip, open jaw, OR multi-city?
Any of the above. Also, if you purchase RT, you can subsequently call to change to a one-way ticket and potentially get a credit for the fare that applies to the cancelled segments.

I don't want to change my travel now, is there a way to cancel & reissue the code?

It's not technically "reissued." It's basically encased in amber for reuse.

If you change more than 60 days from the date of travel, AND the companion has no status (sorry, spouse), you can reuse the companion cert by calling in, having the reservation split, and then re-deposting the primary traveler's airfare into My Wallet and keeping a record of the companion traveler's ticket number separately.

Then, to reuse the companion cert for the same companion on a different itinerary, you need to phone in and make the primary traveler's reservation, and pay with a credit card for the primary traveler's ticket. No My Wallet funds can be used. Then the companion's cert and fees are reattached and any difference in fees and taxes are collected/refunded.

If the primary traveler decides that he/she does not want to reuse the companion cert after canceling the original reservation (as long as it's done before the value of the companion cert/fees/taxes expires), the value of the fees/taxes of the companion cert can be redeposited into the primary traveler's My Wallet. But the cert itself is forfeited.
(from Seattlenerd. Thank you!)

What are the Terms and Conditions as issued by Alaska Air
Discount: Valid for one $99 USD Companion Ticket when traveling with another passenger on a paid airfare. Both passengers must be booked in the same itinerary, at the same fare, traveling together, and ticketed at the same time. Valid for round-trip or one-way travel. Valid on published fares. Not applicable to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares.

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases through alaskaair.com, Alaska Airlines Reservations, or Horizon Air Reservations. The Companion Ticket Discount Code is redeemed at time of ticketing and is void for future changes or purchases. Traveler and/or Purchaser name must match the name issued on the Discount Code. Credit card required for purchase.

Passengers: Valid for one $99 USD Companion Ticket when traveling with a second passenger on a paid fare, traveling together, and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation.

Routes: Valid systemwide on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air.

Advance Purchase: Per applicable fare rule.

Purchase By: Expiration date on Discount Code.

Blackout Dates: Per applicable fare rule.

Minimum & Maximum Stay: Per applicable fare rules.

Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air and on PenAir between Anchorage and Dutch Harbor. Not valid on codeshare flights.

Taxes, Fees and Surcharges: Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, including checked baggage fees.

Combinability: Not valid with any other discounts, including Discount Codes, coupons, discount programs, MyAccount online discount, or other arrangements.

Changes and Refunds: Changes and refunds are allowed per the applicable fare rule and may result in the forfeiture of the Discount Code.

Mileage Plan: Mileage Plan credit applies and upgrades are allowed.

Transferability: Discount Codes and tickets are not transferable. They may not be given to another individual, and may not be sold, bought, bartered, auctioned or collected in bulk. Any deemed by Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air to have been distributed or acquired improperly will not be honored and traveler will be liable for payment of full fare.

Additional Terms: All rules of Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air, alaskaair.com, and the applicable fare rules not mentioned within these terms and conditions apply.

Other: Lost or stolen Discount Codes or tickets cannot be replaced. Alaska/Horizon has the final authority regarding redemption. Travel is subject to Alaska and Horizon contract of carriage. Terms and conditions as written herein are final and cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of Alaska/Horizon or issuing organization. Other restrictions may apply and Alaska/Horizon reserves the right to suspend or change this offer without notice.

Print Wikipost

Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:35 pm

$912 for me $175 for wife
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Kris flyer, Sofitel
I learned how to navigate the AS website. Since my closest airports where they fly are BWI and PHL, followed by EWR, DCA and IAD, my options are limited. I don't want to fly to New Orleans via the West Coast, or to Vegas via LA(though that isn't the worst. My two choices were Maui and Calgary, but my timing made Calgary better. My wife's Companion Fare doesn't expire until next March, so I can try for the following winter if I chose Maui.

I got IAD-SEA with two nights layover, then on to Calgary. I think I'll stay four nights in Banff then can take a 13:30 flight back to Dulles, via SEA and arrive by 23:30. All in all, not the worst plan. Paying around $1100, including my wife's 99+ taxes/fees.

It's a nice perk but the options are limited. Can fly to LAX or SFO non-stop, but the fares are so low, it's not worth burning a credit.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS
"But Holy Heck the taxes are expensive in Canada! When I saw the total I thought "can't be" since it was one of the certs that was free, just pay the taxes, and yow they were more than $100, just for taxes."

Yes, the taxes can be high . Our trip to Mexico is $1143.99 for me (Full Y, instant upgrade to F) and companion $127.99 in taxes.(Also upgraded, both MVP)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HanoiIG
I learned how to navigate the AS website. Since my closest airports where they fly are BWI and PHL, followed by EWR, DCA and IAD, my options are limited. I don't want to fly to New Orleans via the West Coast, or to Vegas via LA(though that isn't the worst. My two choices were Maui and Calgary, but my timing made Calgary better. My wife's Companion Fare doesn't expire until next March, so I can try for the following winter if I chose Maui.

I got IAD-SEA with two nights layover, then on to Calgary. I think I'll stay four nights in Banff then can take a 13:30 flight back to Dulles, via SEA and arrive by 23:30. All in all, not the worst plan. Paying around $1100, including my wife's 99+ taxes/fees.

It's a nice perk but the options are limited. Can fly to LAX or SFO non-stop, but the fares are so low, it's not worth burning a credit.
Indeed, taxes are high in Canada on airfares nevermind the fares themselves. Welcome to my world! From British Columbia it is often cheaper and faster to fly to UK/EU than it is to fly to Eastern Canada. Of course, Canada is a large country spanning six time zones and St. John's Newfoundland is 805 miles closer to London England than it is to Vancouver British Columbia.

Banff Alberta is a beautiful area with the Majestic Rockies. Don't be surprised to see Elk walking down the main street and deer grazing on front lawns. Be sure to take the Gondola up Sulpher Mountain for incredible views over Banff. Definitely check out Lake Louise. From there you are less than 15 miles to the British Columbia Border entering into Yoho National Park after crossing the continental devide, the physical boundry between British Columbia and Alberta.

Also consider a day trip up the Icefields Parkway towards Jasper and stop at the Athabasca Icefields for a Snowcoach tour up onto the Athabaska Icefields Glacier. The glacier is the size of the city of San Francisco. You can sample pure water that has been frozen for 10,000 years.

Enjoy your time there

James
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HanoiIG

It's a west coast airline. They don't even fly between Chicago and the northeast, you have to fly back to the west coast to fly from Chicago to the northeast on Alaska (and I think the Chicago routings are all ones they picked up from VX and didn't have before that?). I think the route map makes it clear enough that AS isn't great if your home base isn't on the west coast:

I really wish JetBlue would have won the bidding insofar as the combined network would have been much more additive than duplicative than what we got:

And for reference here's the VX route map from right before they got fully folded into AS:

For me the big draw is that they have nonstops between both LAX-EWR and LAX-JFK. Not a ton of daily flights from either but still super convenient for what my travel plans back to NY/NJ tend to look like.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Can I still fly as the companion, without the primary traveler

Here's the situation:

Partner and I are booked on R/T to Hawaii. Partner is main fare payer, I am booked as the companion.
Partner now cannot travel, but I still want to go (we've nonref accomodation booked etc).

Assuming we both checkin to the current booking, but I board without him
1) will Alaska deny my boarding when they realize he hasn't boarded i.e. no show and
2) will they automatically cancel the return segment

I'm Ok with them cancelling the return segment and buying that seperately so long as I can still fly the outbound segment - economically it's still better than paying $250 to cancel the tickets in advance and sacrifice the companion voucher.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
1. Yes
2. Yes

Last edited by dayone; Aug 31, 2018 at 5:16 pm Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:53 pm

Deleted

Last edited by bfwolf; Sep 25, 2018 at 1:57 pm Reason: Nevermind
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:20 am

My roommate and I are going SEA-ORD for my bday in December. She is going to stay in the midwest and start her Christmas early, though I will be returning to SEA. I called in to drop her from the return leg, but the Boise agent was unable to do so without canceling my return and having me buy a new, possibly more expensive ticket. Since I am the primary ticketholder, she can just no-show on the way back without repercussions, right? Is there a way to drop her so that I'm only one person on the upgrade list? Agent suggested I could split the res after we land in ORD - would that work?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
My roommate and I are going SEA-ORD for my bday in December. She is going to stay in the midwest and start her Christmas early, though I will be returning to SEA. I called in to drop her from the return leg, but the Boise agent was unable to do so without canceling my return and having me buy a new, possibly more expensive ticket. Since I am the primary ticketholder, she can just no-show on the way back without repercussions, right? Is there a way to drop her so that I'm only one person on the upgrade list? Agent suggested I could split the res after we land in ORD - would that work?
She can no-show on the way back. As long as the primary passenger is traveling, the companion doesn't need to be there. I'm not sure you'll be able to split her of the reservation, but couldn't hurt to ask after you've already traveled the first leg.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Companion fare expiry date

We have one for late August, 2019. Is that the date by which we must book our flight, or the date by which we must fly?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by enzian
We have one for late August, 2019. Is that the date by which we must book our flight, or the date by which we must fly?
The date you must book by.

James
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a thread here (also linked from the sticky FAQ thread) on how to use the companion fare to book a refundable pair of tickets a year out to extend the effective useful time of the companion fare. Details are in the Wiki for the companion fare thread.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Thanks! We won't need to extend, just wanted to use it for a trip late next October. I will be sure and book it before August.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by enzian
Thanks! We won't need to extend, just wanted to use it for a trip late next October. I will be sure and book it before August.
Is your companion certificate gifted to you or do you have an AS credit card account? You do get a new companion certificate on each anniversay that a CC account is active. Of course, if you close an account to avoid the annual fee you wouldn't receive another companion certificate.

I love my companion certificates. I used one last night and saved $1,228.12 on the second ticket. I don't mind the $75.00 AF

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.