Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Based on an original post by flyer206

I summarized a few posts on the companion fare. I initially had some questions and went through some of the posts as well as asked Missydarlin. So I thought I would post it for future people. If there is something incorrect or perhaps is useful for the next person please add or let me know.

Extending a companion fare
Tickets must be booked by the expiry date but can be for travel up to 330 days in advance. So book 2 full-fare tickets (coach fare only with new certificates issued after Aug. 1, 2012) for travel 11 months in advance to any destination on AS. When you have decided when and where you want to go, call AS to change the tickets. Since the tickets are full-fare or first class the changes will be no charge. The tickets can be changed to a lower level ticket including hot fare and the destination can be changed as well. If the tickets are cheaper then the amount will be refunded to the same credit card.

However, the ticket can not be extended for another 330 days. Meaning, you can not keep on extending the companion certificate. Hence travel must be completed within the initial 330 day window of when you booked your initial ticket.

The current terms show the personal and business card are treated the same regarding booking dates and expiration dates. If you have a counterexample since 2024, please share. (At one time the business companion fare required travel completed by expiry date.)

One of the travelers can not go
If the revenue passenger can not go then the companion passenger can not go. The T&C of the companion fare is that the companion must travel with the revenue passenger. Changes can be made by calling AS but change fees apply. Changes can now be done on-line. If the companion passenger can not go, the revenue passenger can still go. If you want to use the companion certificate another time, a call has to be made to AS.
Name changes are allowed but must be called in for change and is subject to change fee($125 --exempt if the name change involves a passenger who has status).

Should status flyer be the revenue or companion ticket.
Since the companion ticket is dependent on the revenue ticket, the status flyer should be the companion fare unless the tickets are in full fare or first class. Why? If the companion traveler can not fly the companion coupon can be saved for future use. The status passenger is allowed to make changes at no charge. THERE IS DEBATE ABOUT THIS ANSWER

Do I have to be one of the passengers flying?
No, the T&C states that you must either be one of the passengers or the credit card booking the tickets be in your name. One poster mentioned that he did not travel or use his credit card when he let his father use it. However it that case I believe they shared the same last name.

Do you have to use the AS airline credit card when booking the companion fare?
Through September 30, 2019, no. "For companion fares issued on or after October 1, 2019, both the primary fare and the companion fare must be purchased using your Alaska Airlines credit card." Exceptions: Fare can also be paid with your Wallet funds or AS Gift cards.

Does the companion fare accrue points.
YES, both tickets accrue points on any frequent flyer plan that gives out points on AS flights ie AS, AA, DL, CX, BA etc

Is the companion fare upgradeable?
YES, depending on first class upgrade (U) inventory and by priority based on the status of the traveler. There has to be 2 upgradeable seats available. If using paper certificates there has to be 2 certificates. Both travelers must upgrade or none at all. At T-24, you will be added to the flight upgrade list upon checkin per normal procedure and upgrades will process in the usual order of priority.
companion fare and upgrade question

When will I get my Companion certificate? 
As soon as you get approved for the credit card the certificate will appear in your Alaska airline online account. As of June 2016, the initial companion fare will post shortly after the statement where you reach the minimum spend (currently $1000) closes. Another will appear around the 1 year anniversary of your credit card. JULY 2020 UPDATE: spend is now $2,000 within 90 days.

Cancelling a companion fare
Rebook=kept in system however change fees may apply based on fare purchased.
Refund=gone

What class of fares can be booked?
All fares can be booked from "hot fares" to "first class" but only on Alaska/Horizon operated flights. It is not eligible for AA, DL etc operated flights. (coach fare only with new certificates issued after Aug. 1, 2012). You cannot purchase F but you can upgrade to F after purchase or try your luck at free upgrades if you have status.

Can the companion fare be used on a one-way, round trip, open jaw, OR multi-city?
Any of the above. Also, if you purchase RT, you can subsequently call to change to a one-way ticket and potentially get a credit for the fare that applies to the cancelled segments.

I don't want to change my travel now, is there a way to cancel & reissue the code?

It's not technically "reissued." It's basically encased in amber for reuse.

If you change more than 60 days from the date of travel, AND the companion has no status (sorry, spouse), you can reuse the companion cert by calling in, having the reservation split, and then re-deposting the primary traveler's airfare into My Wallet and keeping a record of the companion traveler's ticket number separately.

Then, to reuse the companion cert for the same companion on a different itinerary, you need to phone in and make the primary traveler's reservation, and pay with a credit card for the primary traveler's ticket. No My Wallet funds can be used. Then the companion's cert and fees are reattached and any difference in fees and taxes are collected/refunded.

If the primary traveler decides that he/she does not want to reuse the companion cert after canceling the original reservation (as long as it's done before the value of the companion cert/fees/taxes expires), the value of the fees/taxes of the companion cert can be redeposited into the primary traveler's My Wallet. But the cert itself is forfeited.
(from Seattlenerd. Thank you!)

What are the Terms and Conditions as issued by Alaska Air
Discount: Valid for one $99 USD Companion Ticket when traveling with another passenger on a paid airfare. Both passengers must be booked in the same itinerary, at the same fare, traveling together, and ticketed at the same time. Valid for round-trip or one-way travel. Valid on published fares. Not applicable to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares.

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases through alaskaair.com, Alaska Airlines Reservations, or Horizon Air Reservations. The Companion Ticket Discount Code is redeemed at time of ticketing and is void for future changes or purchases. Traveler and/or Purchaser name must match the name issued on the Discount Code. Credit card required for purchase.

Passengers: Valid for one $99 USD Companion Ticket when traveling with a second passenger on a paid fare, traveling together, and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation.

Routes: Valid systemwide on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air.

Advance Purchase: Per applicable fare rule.

Purchase By: Expiration date on Discount Code.

Blackout Dates: Per applicable fare rule.

Minimum & Maximum Stay: Per applicable fare rules.

Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air and on PenAir between Anchorage and Dutch Harbor. Not valid on codeshare flights.

Taxes, Fees and Surcharges: Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, including checked baggage fees.

Combinability: Not valid with any other discounts, including Discount Codes, coupons, discount programs, MyAccount online discount, or other arrangements.

Changes and Refunds: Changes and refunds are allowed per the applicable fare rule and may result in the forfeiture of the Discount Code.

Mileage Plan: Mileage Plan credit applies and upgrades are allowed.

Transferability: Discount Codes and tickets are not transferable. They may not be given to another individual, and may not be sold, bought, bartered, auctioned or collected in bulk. Any deemed by Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air to have been distributed or acquired improperly will not be honored and traveler will be liable for payment of full fare.

Additional Terms: All rules of Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air, alaskaair.com, and the applicable fare rules not mentioned within these terms and conditions apply.

Other: Lost or stolen Discount Codes or tickets cannot be replaced. Alaska/Horizon has the final authority regarding redemption. Travel is subject to Alaska and Horizon contract of carriage. Terms and conditions as written herein are final and cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of Alaska/Horizon or issuing organization. Other restrictions may apply and Alaska/Horizon reserves the right to suspend or change this offer without notice.

Print Wikipost

Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Any speculation as to whether these might be again extended beyond December? We have 4 discount certs that will expire and very little chance that we will use more than two. Unfortunately BofA has taken a hard line on retention (no offers) so this is basically $75AF x 2 cards flushed for 2 years.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
If the discount code is in my name, can I use the credit card that is in my husband's name(same last name) to book the BOGO tix for both of us? Thank you!
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
For those of you who have cancelled a reservation involving a companion fare or otherwise know the answer, what would the reinstated companion fare's expiration date be if the reservation is cancelled today and when is the companion fare code likely to return to the account?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
For those of you who have cancelled a reservation involving a companion fare or otherwise know the answer, what would the reinstated companion fare's expiration date be if the reservation is cancelled today and when is the companion fare code likely to return to the account?
it is redeposited in a few days with a new expiration of December 30, 2020 (assuming the old expiration date was 2020).
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS
When using 2 companion codes for family of four, how does the benefit for 1 free checked bag for passengers work for that situation?
Because there are 2 companion codes used, there are 2 separate PNR's.
Can the AS Visa cardholder PNR be linked to second PNR of family traveling? OR..... Does the husband have to get his own AS Visa to get the free checked bag benefit for him and the other child?
If he is added as authorized user on wife's account, will that be sufficient at check in? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Any talk of Bank of America extending the 99 dollar companion certificates? I have some expiring Dec 2020 and Januayr 2021
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
Any talk of Bank of America extending the 99 dollar companion certificates? I have some expiring Dec 2020 and Januayr 2021
Same here. I don't plan on traveling much in 2021, just visiting family next summer if the pandemic situation allows, and for those tickets, even with the companion fare AS tickets are more expensive than non-discounted tickets on other airlines.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by stdupree
Same here. I don't plan on traveling much in 2021, just visiting family next summer if the pandemic situation allows, and for those tickets, even with the companion fare AS tickets are more expensive than non-discounted tickets on other airlines.
@Missy might know. Nothing official AFAIK yet.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
missy hasnt posted since 2004?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
missy hasnt posted since 2004?
I’m pretty sure he meant @missydarlin.
pcoll likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do understand correctly that if i want to change flights booked with companion cert (say change date or airport etc) i can do an instant change and either pay extra or get wallet credit but if i want to reprice the same itinerary i need to cancel and rebook (and canceling means the cert will not be reissued for days)?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Do understand correctly that if i want to change flights booked with companion cert (say change date or airport etc) i can do an instant change and either pay extra or get wallet credit but if i want to reprice the same itinerary i need to cancel and rebook (and canceling means the cert will not be reissued for days)?
Yes, this has been my experience.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:38 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Finkface
I’m pretty sure he meant @missydarlin.
You rang?

No talk of extension that I've heard.

If you're still a card holder, you will get your new ones around the same time your current ones expire.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by azepine00
How about change to a different date first and then change back to the original date?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish but I don’t get the impression there will be further extensions - perhaps AS wants to limit its exposure on the leisure routes which are currently the bulk of every carriers business for the foreseeable future. We have 4x$99 certs expiring in December that may go unused which kind of cheeses me as that’s essentially $300 in AFs flushed. BofA refused to provide any concessions on the AF renewal so we will be cancelling our 10yr old personal cards and churning into business cards. (We don’t normally churn but I’ll make an exception for BofA).

as Missy notes we got some new certs that expire 2021 but that doesn’t replace the lost value on the old ones. Hotel programs have done much better extending the free night certs. You would think AS would be happy to incentivize customers to fly esp with fares that are higher than competition on the Hawaii and Mexico routes that I follow but maybe business is better than we know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.