FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   The @mamasphor laptop saga (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1110794-mamasphor-laptop-saga.html)

fooko2002 Jul 29, 2010 11:51 am

The @mamasphor laptop saga

Not sure if anyone else follows the @alaskaair twitter account, but there seems to be a bit of uproar happening today.

Apparently @mamasphor was the last person to deplane on AS6 in DCA and she left her laptop on the floor beneath her seat. As soon as she got to the hotel she realized she had forgotten it, called Alaska and they had the cleaning crew search the airplane but the laptop hasn't appeared.

I am not sure what metrics are really used to gauge the impact of incidents like this, but this is by far the most active people have been tweeting @alaskaair since I've been following them.

As one might expect, some of the accusations against Alaska (and its employees) are pretty rash. Hope the issue is resolved quickly.

golfingboy Jul 29, 2010 12:11 pm

@Alaskaair did not even announce the new SJC-SJD service... It is interesting how an issue can derail the crew from this kind of news :eek:

Hopefully everything will be sorted out and unfortunately AS cannot police every single crew to ensure they did not keep the device for themselves. This issue exists with all carriers and they are constantly trying their best to minimize this issue...

At least AS knows which flight number, so they can accurately track down the cleaning crew and other crews who were on the plane after all passengers deplanned and interrogate them... I would imagine about 10 people tops will be interviewed unless someone returns the laptop...

dave1013 Jul 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Who's to say someone from the cleaning crew took it? Sure it's a possibility - but it's also possible that a fellow passenger took it. Perhaps not likely - but still possible.

Just bothers me that people are jumping to conclusions.

golfingboy Jul 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 14387315)
Who's to say someone from the cleaning crew took it? Sure it's a possibility - but it's also possible that a fellow passenger took it. Perhaps not likely - but still possible.

Just bothers me that people are jumping to conclusions.

Agreed, she claimed to be the last passenger off of the plane.... :( Which could be false as well...

fooko2002 Jul 29, 2010 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14387356)
Agreed, she claimed to be the last passenger off of the plane.... :( Which could be false as well...

Yeah, I mean there is little that can be verified about her account unless a member of the crew were to vouch for her story.

I honestly hope that all the details about the situation she has explained are true since she has expressed the importance of this laptop is due to the pictures and videos of her deceased child.

I definitely do not think that this is what @AlaskaAir and @elliottp had in mind for the activities of today...

bakedpatato Jul 29, 2010 12:57 pm

I looked at mamasphor's profile...ummm...I almost feel like she's using this as a publicity stunt; her blog and her twitter profile are pretty sharp looking...too sharp looking for an "average joe...". And on their blog the husband kept calling AS "Alaskan" Airlines...:rolleyes:
Then again this could be my distaste for twitter kicking in and I truly feel sorry for her as it sucks to loose a laptop,nevermind such a meaningful laptop to her(she totally should have used Dropbox or some other cloud storage system though!):D

longdrelation Jul 29, 2010 12:57 pm

If you're the last person off of the plane, don't you have enough time to gather your things? The people I know that lose things the most on a plane tend to be those who are either first to get off or are in a hurry to get off. I've never been the last, but I can imagine you'd have a good 20 minutes of waiting before you get to leave.

United757 Jul 29, 2010 2:19 pm

If I left my laptop (or anything) on board, it would be my own fault. And if it was so important, why didn't she have backups of anything?

:rolleyes:

formeraa Jul 29, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm sorry but this story sounds fabricated! If I leave something on the plane (and I've left a couple of books), it's totally my fault!!! If I happen to get it back, great! If not, I feel that I'm personally responsible and must replace it myself.

I wonder if the laptop even existed!:rolleyes:

Emeraldcity Jul 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 14388275)
I wonder if the laptop even existed!:rolleyes:

That's my thought. I think someone just wants a new model.

ANC RED-EYE Jul 29, 2010 3:15 pm

I find it appalling that she would even implicate Alaska Air as having any fault or responsibility whatsoever in this.

1) She LEFT her laptop on an airplane. Could happen to anyone - but it is certainly only the responsibility of the person leaving the item, not the airline on which she left it.

2) She hadn't backed up irreplaceable photos/videos? It would seem obvious that one would do this with such important stuff. And if this laptop is so precious and irreplaceable, it seems obvious that she wouldn't carry it with her everywhere, and even more-so that she wouldn't leave it lying around.

fooko2002 Jul 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity (Post 14388321)
That's my thought. I think someone just wants a new model.

Glad I'm not the only one who isn't entirely convinced of the "truthiness" of this story.

eponymous_coward Jul 29, 2010 3:43 pm

I can see leaving a laptop on a plane if you're hurried/stressed/whatever, so accusing the customer of lying's a bit :rolleyes:, just like jumping all over AS employees.

missydarlin Jul 29, 2010 4:58 pm

I don't think she's lying. I went to her blog.. and read what her husband posted about it. She felt stupid and responsible, and it was one of the comments that suggested she put it on facebook and twitter.

Then the ridiculousness started...not from her, but other people. I think she just wants her laptop back.

And FWIW, although I'm quite aware that important info should be backed up regularly, My hard drive crashed last week, and I may have lost a good chunk of photos and a lot of my itunes stuff. I think I backed it up, but without a functioning laptop, have no way to access the external drive. I'm sending it to tech support (my uncle) next week to see what can be done.

fooko2002 Jul 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Definitely re-reading what she has tweeted v. what her followers have posted, it does appear that she feels it was her mistake for leaving the laptop on the plane. Granted an airplane is a more secure public location than most, it is still a public place. Some of the followers were quite nasty in calling AS liars and thieves for the laptop to be missing.

I imagine that some people have that Air France FA story in their head from a week or so ago. I hope the laptop is found and returned to the woman and in an ideal world, all those who tweeted nasty things would fill @AlaskaAir inbox with appreciation and fly a few flights to experience the generally awesome customer service I receive with AS.