Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

no vegetarian option in F FROM Hawaii--suggestion for simple solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club

Despite lovely breakfasts from the West Coast TO Hawaii, which are fine for vegetarians as the meat is "on the side" and can be removed, the flights departing FROM Hawaii all seem to only offer nonvegetarian options for lunch

Since most depart before noon, how about offering "brunch" to those who call in and request a vegetarian option. Let's say there are two such F customers
on a certain flight back, just stock the flight coming to Hawaii with two extra breakfasts and keep them on board for the return flight (no problems with Dept of Agriculture inspectors that way and since flight arrives at about 1030 and leaves at about 1130, the food won't be much "older"
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by thumbelina
Despite lovely breakfasts from the West Coast TO Hawaii, which are fine for vegetarians as the meat is "on the side" and can be removed, the flights departing FROM Hawaii all seem to only offer nonvegetarian options for lunch

Since most depart before noon, how about offering "brunch" to those who call in and request a vegetarian option. Let's say there are two such F customers
on a certain flight back, just stock the flight coming to Hawaii with two extra breakfasts and keep them on board for the return flight (no problems with Dept of Agriculture inspectors that way and since flight arrives at about 1030 and leaves at about 1130, the food won't be much "older"
I guess no airline can make everyone happy. I guess you can take the food packs they have and make something out of it. Or bring your own is also an idea.....
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Or maybe they can do what most every other US airline does and offer an option to their customers who pay for F (since those who upgrade are usually past the 7 day window for requesting special meals). All airline food comes from the same vendor (which is probably why I drank my cocktail out of a United cup the other day) so all AS would have to do is request something be made without meat.
I couched my complaint on WA/CA flights, but now that I'm moving east, it looks like I may consider moving the 1900 a flight from AS to someone else due to the food.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by longdrelation
Or maybe they can do what most every other US airline does and offer an option to their customers who pay for F (since those who upgrade are usually past the 7 day window for requesting special meals). All airline food comes from the same vendor (which is probably why I drank my cocktail out of a United cup the other day) so all AS would have to do is request something be made without meat.
I couched my complaint on WA/CA flights, but now that I'm moving east, it looks like I may consider moving the 1900 a flight from AS to someone else due to the food.
I bet there is a good reason they don't - at least from AS perspective. I doubt most people really base their flight decision on a meal issue and I think that's what they are banking on.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
I bet there is a good reason they don't - at least from AS perspective. I doubt most people really base their flight decision on a meal issue and I think that's what they are banking on.
Sure, I completely agree. My previous post was more out of frustration hearing the "bring your own" argument. My ideal situation wouldn't even be a menu that has options like a premium trans-con (BE, P.S., AFS, etc), but a regular F ticket on any other airline allows you to select a "special meal" just as you would request a wheelchair. It's on the same form. There is no thought put into the meals, and they honestly can suck pretty badly, but the option is there.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would suggest that the OP write a nicely worded, concise letter or email to AS. Ask AS to forward it to their in-flight service department and that lack of F meal options will make you reconsider your choice of airlines to Hawaii. These suggestions are taken seriously, particularly if you are paid F and have a MP account that shows it.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm not a vegetarian, but I know better than to eat most airline food even in F. We brought our own food for our flight from OGG on Sunday - sandwiches we picked up at the Lahaina Farms Market. Most airports that AS serves in Hawaii will have some sort of vegetarian option - veggie sushi, pizza, some sort of sandwich that will hold up for a few hours.

If not, I would highly recommend one of the picnic packs from coach.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:38 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

It is lame that AS doesn't offer special meals on these flights, but I'm sure somebody has crunched the numbers and decided that they come out ahead this way (customers they lose vs savings from not having to deal with special meals). Otoh, most airline special meals are quite nasty, and vegetarians are well-advised to bring their own food on board (my wife is a vegetarian, and in years of flying C and F domestically and internationally, we've seen some truly disgusting vegetarian options).

Originally Posted by lalala
Most airports that AS serves in Hawaii will have some sort of vegetarian option - veggie sushi, pizza, some sort of sandwich that will hold up for a few hours.
The options at some airports (most notably, LIH) will be severely limited, assuming the vegetarian wishes to avoid eating something totally awful or unhealthy.

Originally Posted by lalala
If not, I would highly recommend one of the picnic packs from coach.
Not all packs are suitable for vegetarians, and the availability of the packs seems to be a matter of luck. In any case, a snack pack hardly replaces a proper meal.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by longdrelation
Or maybe they can do what most every other US airline does and offer an option to their customers who pay for F (since those who upgrade are usually past the 7 day window for requesting special meals).
Seven day window? It's > 12 hours (Delta) or > 24 hours (AA, UA, CO).
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Seven day window? It's > 12 hours (Delta) or > 24 hours (AA, UA, CO).
I stand corrected. I know that it is a minor issue. It's just a bummer to see over on the UA forum, for example, that each lengthy flight has an option. I was looking forward to continuing with AS when I move to Norfolk by routing up to BOS to come to SEA on an AS transcon F, but then I see that if I did the same thing on CO or UA I would have options... That's a major bummer. Yes, I understand I'm in the .6% of flyers who would take food into account.
Now, on the subject of how horrible airline food tastes...technically they are supposed to all be "edible". I don't think it's fair to knock AS because the steaks suck (if I ate them), because what if when I fly they are actually good? I believe that's the premise behind Seat2A's AS meal thread - No complaints, etc, just comments.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Maybe not "most" people, but I would abandon ship pretty quickly if any of my regular routes made vegetarian eating a hassle.

I'd love to get into a rant about how silly it is to worry about recycling when the impact of meat is so much worse than some trash… but none of us get to judge while we're burning all that jet fuel.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by gerwitz
Maybe not "most" people, but I would abandon ship pretty quickly if any of my regular routes made vegetarian eating a hassle.
I doubt you'd abandon...what would you do from Seattle? Either take a larger carrier and connect via their hubs to your destinations (and spend 2+ hrs more changing planes) OR spread your flying across every carrier and mess up your status and miles?

There is something to take a principled stand on, but airline food of any sort is hardly qualifying as that...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:34 am
Suspended

The food FROM Hawaii gets cooked in Seattle or another continental airport before the plane goes outbound. I'm not a vegetarian, so it doesn't matter to me, but AS should have a contract with a caterer on the island to get you some kind of vegetarian meal...particularly if you've given them notice of your requirements. Alternatively, I'd buy food and head to the service counter when you get there and ask them to reimburse you.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by thegeneral
The food FROM Hawaii gets cooked in Seattle or another continental airport before the plane goes outbound. I'm not a vegetarian, so it doesn't matter to me, but AS should have a contract with a caterer on the island to get you some kind of vegetarian meal...particularly if you've given them notice of your requirements. Alternatively, I'd buy food and head to the service counter when you get there and ask them to reimburse you.
AS doesn't do special meals though... they make this clear during the booking process (with ** indicating no special meals( so why would the service counter reimburse you for something they don't offer?

I do wish the meals were not round-trip catered though. It would be a slight gas savings (not having to fly it over and back) plus nice to have food that is slightly fresher.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Oy Vey!! There aren't really any Kosher options, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.